MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What don't you like?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPanda View Post
    As a general rule I dislike lever actions. Also revolvers with a full length under lug.
    Attachment 178069

Boolit Grand Master

Pocket 380s and any similar tiny gun like a Derringer. They don't appeal to me in anyway. I don't like when European manufacturer's discontinue the paddle mag release to satisfy Americans who want everything to be like a 1911. Once you learn to use the paddle you realize how it's in exactly the place it should be. I'm also not a fan of hammer less revolvers. Never know when you might need to shoot in single action. As w/ everything it's all about personal preference. I for one would not shed a tear if 1911s stopped being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I don't like fools that expound on proven guns...and have, obviously, no experience with or idea what in hell they are talking about...and want to try to pass themselves off as a knowledgeable "gun" guy.

I don't Glocks, Beretta's or Sig's...poor ergonomics.
    That could potentially be almost anyone in this thread thus far. Glock has about the best track record for a proven reliable and accurate design as any handgun ever made. Yet...most here do not care for them. LOL!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don't like when European manufacturer's discontinue the paddle mag release to satisfy Americans who want everything to be like a 1911. Once you learn to use the paddle you realize how it's in exactly the place it should be.
    My Walther P99 had one and manipulation of it was no big deal for me... Loved that gun and hated to sell it years ago when I fell on hard times. Would love to find another olive drab P99 in .40 S&W...

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    That could potentially be almost anyone in this thread thus far. Glock has about the best track record for a proven reliable and accurate design as any handgun ever made. Yet...most here do not care for them. LOL!
    But, most aren't fools that rail against them and make ridiculous statements about their reliability...they just don't like them...that is big difference.

What don't you like?

Huh. Well here's an unpopular opinion.

I don't really care for 1911's. Nothing wrong with them, either.

I guess it's the massive customization aftermarket and high price tag for something that never really sparked my interest.

Edit: and to really get on nerves, the 10/22.
    loading magazines, no last shot hold open, the bolt release is ridiculous, sights and trigger are atrocious and require a serious investment in volquartsen parts to make it what it should have been in the first place in terms of accuracy and ergos. I'm going to get the takedown just so I can have a decent compact suppressor host, but I'm not thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zubrato; 10-03-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    I like blued steel and wood but have an equal collection of tools adorned with plastic and anodized aluminum since I used them for so many years.
    Tools, yes, but like the Mafia say, tools aren't personal, just business.

Glock matches for only Glocks..... odd isn't it, or is it......
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Grand Master
    I do like the O/P's point, that one man's meat is another man's poison--lotta truth there. That said, I am pretty fond of just about anything that turns money into noise, so it takes some real DOING to make a firearm that I dislike. But, such things do or did exist.

Intense and profound distaste for the cheap pot-metal "Ring Of Fire" 22 rimfire and 25 ACP pocket pistols that were made until recent times fairly close to where I live--the Raven, the Jennings, the Lorcin, and a few others of that ilk. Not for me, at all.

Not to say that I dislike small pocket pistols out of hand--au contraire. The Baby Browning and Colt derivative of same were finely-made handguns, as was my Walther TPH in 22 LR. This is aside from the fact that in my big paws they almost disappear and I am none too dexterous with them, but that is no fault of the arms.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have never craved any of the UberMagnum revolvers like the 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, or their larger/stronger brethren. These calibers strike me as being much better rifle rounds than handgun chamberings, a concept I align with concerning the 44 Magnum once it exceeds the Elmer Keith standard of 240 grain SWC @ 1200 FPS. I am dealing now with onset of Depuytren's Contracture, and there is some evidence in the literature that hand-hammering like that of the 44 Magnum loaded full-bore might trigger its onset in people predisposed to the ailment, so younger shooters need to be cognizant of these potentials. No prejudice for folks choosing to herd such beasts, but I'll just pick one of several rifles available to me once the power of a 44 Magnum/Keith-level becomes deficient for the task at hand.

I had some aesthetic dissonance with the AR-15 series rifles for quite some time, and a similar feeling about Glocks when they first came out. Mattel Toy Syndrome. Over time and with extensive exposure, I have become fairly comfortable with the Stoner self-loader, though I still think is is too delicate and dirt-sensitive to be a down-and-dirty service rifle. Glocks I have come to trust completely, since ugly is as ugly does.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 10-03-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrato View Post
    Huh. Well here's an unpopular opinion.

I don't really care for 1911's. Nothing wrong with them, either.

I guess it's the massive customization aftermarket and high price tag for something that never really sparked my interest.

Edit: and to really get on nerves, the 10/22.
    loading magazines, no last shot hold open, the bolt release is ridiculous, sights and trigger are atrocious and require a serious investment in volquartsen parts to make it what it should have been in the first place in terms of accuracy and ergos. I'm going to get the takedown just so I can have a decent compact suppressor host, but I'm not thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Far be it from me to comment on the 1911, although my sole shooting trophy was won with a friend's Luger at 300 yards, and I think... Oh well, I think it about the Luger, which Jeff Cooper said was particularly good to handle if you handled it the wrong way, not about the 1911.

I agree about the 10-22. Not that it is bad, but I can think of a few semiauto .22s, if you like that sort of thing, which were pretty good before it. I think it is a lesson in product placement - maybe not for the sake of Bill Ruger's advertising budget, which didn't look any bigger than plenty of others, but in keeping on the right side of the print media.

I designed a suppressor for a Saudi friend's 10-22, and he had one of his lathe operators make it in the engineering workshop he ran as a sideline to his government job, or vice versa. (He freely admitted he wasn't a machinist, but claimed he drove the forklift better than any of them, and got a kick out of customers coming in and asking him where the boss was.) He claimed the suppressor only worked really well pointed straight up, but that was because he couldn't get subsonic ammo, and the sonic crack bounced back from the ground.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    What particular model or style of weapon don't you Like? Which guns leave you going "meh" when you see them in the gun case?
    We all have our preferences, but mine disdain anything:

• Glock, in fact almost all springer-types. I do own an SD9VE and it's as close as I'll come. Walther PPQ is a better version.
    • 1911's. A boring, past dated design. Every manufacturer touts "the latest thing" by smoothing the edges on the beavertail or adding a rail, or by calling it "tactical".
    • Most Smith & Wesson revolvers, especially including those with the tiny rounded butts like the Chiefs Specials. Most os us can get two fingers around that lil' butt grip.

Gimme the old all-steel hammer-fired military styles like a Star M30, Browning HP, or Astra A-70.
    Last edited by Scorpion8; 10-03-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I neither like or dislike 1911's, however it seems that most of the purchase price of a Kimber goes towards paying their mortgage on the back page of American Rifleman.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Hand guns ...... I've had a few . Colts , S&W , Ruger ... All made before 1980 some a very long time before 1980 . The lines of the 1860 Colts are fluid they point well ,as made without tuning , I'll take a Remington 58 . There is no doubt that craftsmen built S&W is a wonderful tool the 1917 side by side with the Colts is barely comparable. I place a Colts 38 ( the model escapes me ) on par with a Ruger Security 6 , I like the Ruger lines better . I had an SAA repro for a while it also just wasn't for me . Perhaps the wonder and idols that used them for so long just didn't meet the expectations . I like the BlackHawk a lot .
    The 1st poly pistol I shot was a Smith in 9mm . Nasty whippy ,force it back to target , 2 fisted , stiff triggered , generally uncivilized nothing to like about it , disgrace to its name sake .
    I only had Stars and a High Power clone to compare it to. The Hungarian HP is nice and the 1 I had was very pleasant , there was something about the grips , not so much wrong as not right for me , I shot it a lot so it must not have bothered me very much .
    I did shoot a couple of 1911s . They all feel right and point well but as a bone stock GI model goes it was slow but in a Cadillac Sedan DeVille road car way . The race gun in 38 super auto was like a Callaway STS ......neither make me NEED a 1911 .
    I wanted a 40 and an XD came along at a very good price . The aesthetics leave something to be desired but it has nothing in common save materials with that 1st Smith. It comes back to POA every time or very close . The action is balanced whether it just functions the slide or is running full out . It feels like it has what's not right on the HP right and it's smoother than the 1911 with all of the things we like about it .
    The Bryco was horrible so I guess it tops the list of autos I dislike .
    Autos don't have eye candy appeal , until they are to advanced to shoot.

As far as rifles go a nice piece of wood and deep bluing with a polished bolt and very few bolt guns are not nice to look at , the Styre R1 comes to mind .
    Lever guns the Savage 99 has the lines but the 92 and 96 get my money . I don't find the cross bolt safeties half as unpleasant as that round bolt that looks like it should trap every grime bit for miles in the Marlin and Henry's.

Shotguns
    M500 good gravy what a rattle trap.
    The M12 is what a shotgun should be and sets my standards as such . The BPS is the refined M37 and gets the nod ...... If there were a BPS and M12 side by side for the same price similar wood and finish with cash in hand I wouldn't be able to choose. Don't make me make that choice . I'm debating on a ribbed M12 I saw last weekend and I hope it's gone along with the 16 GA next to it........
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I dislike cheaply made firearms of any brand. And overall, I prefer American made over foreign made.

Boolit Master
    This is aesthetics only; nothing to do with validity, utility, reliability or even accuracy. I run up and down the aisles at Gun Shows looking for what interests me. The tables I run past are those containing:

Wondernines

Wonderforties

Gigantic caliber revolvers

Anything with an "upper" and a "lower."

Anything "tactical-schmactical"

Muzzleloading rifles that have a piece of brass between the buttstock and forestock; also inlines

Contender pistols, and all the barrels that go on them

Cheap bureau-drawer revolvers and chrome-plated ladies' purse pistols

Lever action rifles that are actually badly disguised bolt actions, also leverguns with button safeties

That's generally 80% of the average Show anymore; alas.

Well--you asked.
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 10-05-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

When it comes to guns, I'm a knuckle-dragging traditionalist, basically. Yeah, I've got some SS barrels, and synthetic stocks, but essentially, I like blued steel and walnut. One of the things that really turns me off is guns that go "clack clack" in a tinny timber rather than "chunk chunk," which I find pleasing, reassuring and satisfying. So color me purple, or whatever, but guns without grace of line and form, that may be manufacturing marvels but don't balance and handle well, just really disappoint me. As they say in the beginning of the Hobbit movie "some things that should not have been forgotten, were lost." The Wal Mart mentality seems to rule everything today, and as gov't constraints get heavier and heavier on businesses, it's harder and harder just to stay in business, and product quality just goes by the wayside as something that seems to be "unaffordable" now. Instead of skilled craftsmen working for a living wage, we now have the "gimme" types who wouldn't work in a pie factory! This ain't headed anywhere good, and it's not classic sentiments causing that!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    This is aesthetics only; nothing to do with validity, utility, reliability or even accuracy. I run up and down the aisles at Gun Shows looking for what interests me. The tables I run past are those containing:

Well--you asked.
    For the most part, what he said. I'm not a fan of Taurus, Hi Point, Savage or Mossberg (old habits die hard). But what I REALLY don't like are old model Blackhawks that don't belong to me.

Boolit Master

Ya All might be great people, but I seriously doubt I could be friends with a man who disliked 1911's.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't like striker fired guns, the trigger always reminds me of a MK 5 flare pistol. I'm pretty sure I had cap guns as a kid with better triggers.

Beretta M9/92 pistols. I saw way too many broken locking blocks to ever want to willingly trust my life to one.

Not real wild about an AR 15, but good proven magazines will fix my biggest gripe with that platform. I also don't like hanging twice the base weight of the gun from it in superfluous items just to be tacticool.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah, I have no use for any firearm too pimped up or rare to be fired. Rare firearms belong in museums not gun safes. Pimped up collectibles are paper weights and have no use.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein