Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flakey Remington Golden Bullets, what to do?

Boolit Buddy

Flakey Remington Golden Bullets, what to do?

Hey guys,

I was checking my ammo hoard recently and decided to check my .22 ammo while I was at it. I like to randomly open boxes to see if things are good to go, I opened a 525 round bulk box of Rem Golden bullets I put away about 6 years ago and found almost all of the plating (ostensibly brass) had flaked off the bullets and they were oxidizing. Needless to say I was not overly thrilled! I have .22 ammo that dates to the turn of the last century that is still prefect so didn't expect this, an email to Remington did not elicit any response

I ran these through my Lyman tumbler with white rice, this effectively removed the engaging loose plating and all the oxidation.

I am thinking of sealing/lubing the bullets by dipping in melted Johnsons paste wax, good plan? Or is there something better to use or a better way to do it? I don't want anything that will be sticky or come off easily and make a mess.

Jeff

Boolit Master

How bout just dipping them in BLL? I swear, the BLL is the best lube out there.

In Remembrance

Another testimonial as to Remington rimfire ammo quality.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Remington as a whole has been "flakey" for decades now.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Remington rimfire has had problems for as long as I have been shooting. I avoid it. I'd rather just keep the 22s in the safe than buy Remington 22 ammo.

Super Moderator

Yep, the Golden Bullets are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. I have had more duds with it than any other ammo combined. I had a small stash of it I just gave away to friends who couldn't find any 22LR during the great 22LR drought. I have been able to replenish my stash with brand new CCI Standard Velocity. Good stuff.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Well I'm just the opposite, I've had great luck & accuratcy with them,, mine are a little older but got one box 8 years old (Yungest) gonna try em out here soon ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master

no doubt remingturd had chemistry problems when they plated them. done properly the copper is bonded to the lead. if your really set on shooting them, maybe a light wax grease on your fingers then spin the bullets thru your fingers.

Boolit Grand Master

I've only ever had a single brick of Golden Bullets and it will be dire straights before I give them cash for another.

Noticeably different report and recoil shot to shot. Accuracy was poor. Dirty, and left some weird hard crud on the end of my barrel. It looked like a lube star, but I needed Chore Boy to get it off. More duds than I've ever had before or since. And finally, a rim blew out and peppered my trigger finger with brass bits.

My package was marked "improved." Hard to believe that they could have actually marketed something that was worse than the absolute dung they sold me.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

How about just dipping them in paraphine wax heated to liquid state. A quick dip should seal for LONG time.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

Several years back I had given a `tricked` out 10/22 complete with heavy barrel, volquartsen trigger work, synthetic stock and a nice scope and mount package to a buddy that had stepped in once saving my life as a sort of poor payment to say thanks. Last year he complained about not finding his favorite .22 ammo to put thru the Ruger, Remington Golden Bullet H.P. where he lived in Northern Michigan at about the `Big Mac` bridge area. I scrounged up every round of Remington ammo I had and gave him all 1,700+/- rounds I had. Now he is saying he gets a dud every so often, just can`t seem to please some people I guess.Robert

Another vote for BLL here, and Remington is my least favorite of all brands of .22lr.
    I will only spend money for them if there is nothing else available and I am out.

Which has not happened for some decades.

Federal Auto match in the 325 round boxes is my current favorite. My Rugers love that stuff.
    I also have 3 bricks of Armscor that has given me zero problems. Was a pretty good price back when .22lr was nonexistent and selling for over a dime each. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    For just blasting and plinking the Rem Golds worked fine, certainly not stuff to shoot in my Kimber but okay for all my other .22's, a few duds here and there never bothered me for informal stuff. It's just strange that this happened, even Federal bulk box stuff never gave me fits.

What pray tell is BLL? I have some paraffin, that would be more resilient than Johnsons would it not?

Where I live the only .22 you can buy is from scalpels at the very few gun shows we have, and one gun shop that is so full of ammo its rediculous, reason being is they want $75 for a 500 round brick and they have a guy inside the local Walmart so .22 never ever hits the shelves. So that's why I'm making sure I can use this ammo, otherwise I would have given it away ��

Boolit Master
    I never liked them, each shot sounded different. Some I've had to check to make sure they exited the barrel. I always try to shoot CCI's

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a bunch of Rem GB since my Advantage Arms Glock Conversion's manual states that CCI MiniMags and Golden Bullets are what work best in it. I tried every kind of 22LR I could find, and sure enough, those 2 are the only ones that would work reliably (at least without some serious polishing). The CCIs are superb, but expensive. I shot the snot out of that thing before 22LR dried up a few years ago, and I would have gone broke if I had shot nothing but CCI. For half the cost, it was fair to deal with the occasional dud or very loose bullet. Rem GB worked most of the time, and that was more than good enough for plinking all afternoon long.

Perma-Banned

Don't buy Remington .22 ammo...very simple.

BLL

Ben 's liquid lube
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Super Moderator Emeritus
    BLl and give them to the kids to burn up then buy good ammo

BLL ie Ben's Liquid Lube = 60% Lee alox + 40% Johnsons One Step Liquid Floor wax mixed together.

The one step is like adding mineral spirits but the wax and polymers in it add significantly to its effectiveness.

For your application I would thin the Alox even more as you would be dipping them.

For most applications 2 or 3 light coats of BLL can be imparted to a bunch of boolits, set them in front of a fan for half an hour and they can be ready to load. Key is to not use too much. 3 thin coats works much better than 1 thick coat.

BLL users have had very good luck with everything from large slow pistol boolits to small fast rifle boolits. As long as the boolit fits correctly no leading, and very good accuracy has been the general result.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdaddy View Post
    Well I'm just the opposite, I've had great luck & accuratcy with them,, mine are a little older but got one box 8 years old (Yungest) gonna try em out here soon ; )
    H/D
    You're more than welcome to my share of the Remington 22 ammo to use in your magic guns!