Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3" Snubbie Choice

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I love my 637 with it's 1-7/8" tube. It conceals almost as easily as my LCP but is much easier to shoot and throws 150% more boolit. Now, I wouldn't have it with a longer barrel even though S&W has made runs of them with 2.5 and 3 inch barrels. That would preclude it from pocket carry, if I'm going to carry IWB or on the belt I much prefer a larger six shot revolver or a bottom feeder.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160917_111344 (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	177029

This is my Dan Wesson 14-2 that I picked up over the weekend for just over $300...
    With the 2.5 inch barrel, I will most likely stock it in the house with a .38spc defense load as my wife can't ride the recoil of a .357mag load. But when it is on me, I will have it loaded with .357 loads. Now I just need to work up some handloads for it.

They are out there...The DW felt so much more balanced than either the Ruger SP101, the Charter Arms Pug or the Taurus offering that was there. The Taurus was out off the bat, the trigger felt very gritty and "loose". The Ruger and Charters were in the running because I hadn't been aware the DW was priced the way it was. I can still swap in a barrel easily thanks to the DW system, in fact, I am looking for an 8-10 inch shroud and barrel for IHMSA to use with a scope. Note: the 14, has the fixed rear sight for conceal carry, the 15 has the adjustable rear sight.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	ds II 003.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	177032
    A gun to steer clear of is the Colt DS II. This was a poor man's version of the v-spring Police Positive Special and it is extremely prone to timing problems. I finally got mine to function DA, but it was no picnic and it doesn't work single action.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    3" is not a snubbie.
    Agree! Better have "deep pockets" for a 3" barreled revolver......and I'm not referring to your bank account.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    3" is not a snubbie.
    ^my opinion also. If you can carry a 3 inch, you can carry a 4. Personally I feel the 3 inch is a fad, which is OK but I remember when nobody wanted a 3 inch "snubbie". I owned one once, it was a good gun for compact carry, was in no way a pocket revolver, which at the time was what I needed for a summertime backup. I found the model 36 2 inch would fit a uniform pocket perfect. That extra length barrel on the 3 inch not only made it uncomfortable, but impossible to conceal. IWB off duty carry the 4 inch duty weapon concealed well, I saw no reason for a snub. I find the 4 inch, and 5 inch barrels perfect carry length for carry not in a pocket, 2 inch in the pocket.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    its a 38special SP101. And like I said before, we don't feel the need to load a 357 mag in them with that short of a barrel. When I get my 3" SP101, I will make sure it's a 357. But even then I like the standard velocity 158 LHPSWC from Buffalo Bore as my carry round. Even in my UL 642, it was the most accurate load with that type of bullet. Although some HBWC I loaded up stout for the UL Snubbies would be ok too.

The more I mess with 38 in reloading, the less I feel the need for a 357 in a pistol. In a rifle, yeah the 357 magnum is something else. But in a handgun, especially a light weight one with a nub for a barrel, it flash/bang more than a projectile. if I think my 38s can't do it, then I will move up to my 44s. I can load my SP101 up to +P+ levels and not flinch cause it will take it. But I don't need it as a civilian carrying, IMHO.
    You ever try a 170gr in it? Just wondering if it would work or not
    I had the short sp101 in 357 and wish i hadnt sold it. Once in awhile ill carry a Chiefs Special and find myself liking it more and more
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    You ever try a 170gr in it? Just wondering if it would work or not
    I had the short sp101 in 357 and wish i hadnt sold it. Once in awhile ill carry a Chiefs Special and find myself liking it more and more
    no I haven't, but the more I lean toward standard velocity loads the more I go for a higher weigh. I know my Lee 158 FP runs around 162 with my lube and alloy and I would hate to have that hit me! Might have to do some more casting soon.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    ^my opinion also. If you can carry a 3 inch, you can carry a 4. Personally I feel the 3 inch is a fad, which is OK but I remember when nobody wanted a 3 inch "snubbie". I owned one once, it was a good gun for compact carry, was in no way a pocket revolver, which at the time was what I needed for a summertime backup. I found the model 36 2 inch would fit a uniform pocket perfect. That extra length barrel on the 3 inch not only made it uncomfortable, but impossible to conceal. IWB off duty carry the 4 inch duty weapon concealed well, I saw no reason for a snub. I find the 4 inch, and 5 inch barrels perfect carry length for carry not in a pocket, 2 inch in the pocket.
    Its a personal preference. And I don't think you are wrong about concealing a 3" or 4" with a good IWB or pancake holster. But the extra width the sixth shot adds is more of a hendrance than the extra barrel length, IMHO.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post

Name:	20160917_111344 (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	177029

This is my Dan Wesson 14-2 that I picked up over the weekend for just over $300...
    With the 2.5 inch barrel, I will most likely stock it in the house with a .38spc defense load as my wife can't ride the recoil of a .357mag load. But when it is on me, I will have it loaded with .357 loads. Now I just need to work up some handloads for it.

They are out there...The DW felt so much more balanced than either the Ruger SP101, the Charter Arms Pug or the Taurus offering that was there. The Taurus was out off the bat, the trigger felt very gritty and "loose". The Ruger and Charters were in the running because I hadn't been aware the DW was priced the way it was. I can still swap in a barrel easily thanks to the DW system, in fact, I am looking for an 8-10 inch shroud and barrel for IHMSA to use with a scope. Note: the 14, has the fixed rear sight for conceal carry, the 15 has the adjustable rear sight.
    i have yet seen a DW they wasn't a shooter! Beautiful weapon!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I love my 637 with it's 1-7/8" tube. It conceals almost as easily as my LCP but is much easier to shoot and throws 150% more boolit. Now, I wouldn't have it with a longer barrel even though S&W has made runs of them with 2.5 and 3 inch barrels. That would preclude it from pocket carry, if I'm going to carry IWB or on the belt I much prefer a larger six shot revolver or a bottom feeder.
    Plum going to have to look for those! I would like one with the 2.5" barrel! But would want it in a 642/442.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I suppose that the 1.875" barrels facilitate pocket carry and are a popular step toward minimum size. Nothing to harpoon you should you do the quick slide into the compact car sear when appendix IWB carrying.

With good load selection very suitable power is still available. Mine are generally around that length and are manageable given reasonable amounts of practice.
    eventhough I ***** about the nub of a barrel, it does make carrying the pain free for me. Wondering how the SP101 works out in the belly band. The shorter 2.25" shouldn't affect me, but the 3" will most likely go in a IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Its a personal preference. And I don't think you are wrong about concealing a 3" or 4" with a good IWB or pancake holster. But the extra width the sixth shot adds is more of a hendrance than the extra barrel length, IMHO.
    That is why the .32 has become popular again. At one time, before my time, it was a staple of LE carry. 327 would be my only choice for a pocket gun if I carried in my pocket. For me a 5 shot is just a backup, it just gives me more comfort to know that extra round is there if needed. Now I do carry a Rossi 352 as a backup to my Ruger 32 H&R Vaquero. I always carry revolvers in pairs, even when a revolver was the duty gun I carried a small Sterling semi auto in the handcuff case.

Most semi autos of compact to duty size I do not feel I want to carry two handguns. Sorry off topic, but I see your point, I bought a Colt Cobra in 79 for a backup, and found it was too thick for pocket carry as a backup. Sold it for a model 36 which was too long, traded it for a 2 inch model which was just right.

Vendor Sponsor

A guy in my Club has had a S&W 640 for sale for a long time. It is a 5 hot J frame 9MM that uses Moon Clips. It is a nice gun and I have twitched when around it everytime I see it. However He wants $950 for it and won't budge a whole lot. It hasn't been either carried or shot very much at all and is essentially almost NIB. Really nice snubby! all SS won't rust!

I paid $950 for my S&W 696 which is a .44 Special and I'd bet she could shoot that just fine, however it is a heavier gun and wouldn't carry as well on a daily basis, and really wouldn't conceal well either.

I noticed that she had shot a G26 with the grip extensions and kind of liked it. I was going to suggest that but suggested the G17/19 instead. I got a G36 a couple of months ago and with the Pearce Grip extension it makes a good carry piece that you can actually shoot, but it's a .45.

My whole point of suggesting these guns is that you stated you were on a budget. The only Snubbys worth having, that you are likely to run into used that still have decent life left in them,,, are S&W J Frames. Even then they are going to be more expensive than a new Glock unless the seller is dumb.

If she really wants a Snubby, then I would suck it up and bite the boolit and get a nice new one for her. A Birthday or Christmas present would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

I bought my wife a new VW Passat Diesel two years ago. She came unglued when VW got caught and took a real set against the car, which was a really nice car that got exceptional mileage. Then She wrecked the car, and since VW can't sell the Diesels, I couldn't replace it,,, and I tried real hard!

Now she has a new Chrysler 300C which is a really nice car and she loves it, so life is good.

Buy them whatever they want, and things smooth right out.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy, the standard airweight J frame .38's go for around $350-400.00 here in the free world, whereas Glocks have been $500-550.00 forever. The Scandium, Airlite Ti, and Performance Center versions cost way more of course.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Randy,
    I was just foundling a SW 640 Pro, just like what you were describing, and it was $700 new. Along with a SW 60 Pro, priced $675, I though they were well worth the price!
    Regular old 642/442s can can bought for $380 right now. LCR is $410, in 38. 357/9mm are $540.

Jerry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    A guy in my Club has had a S&W 640 for sale for a long time. It is a 5 hot J frame 9MM that uses Moon Clips. It is a nice gun and I have twitched when around it everytime I see it. However He wants $950 for it and won't budge a whole lot. It hasn't been either carried or shot very much at all and is essentially almost NIB. Really nice snubby! all SS won't rust!

I paid $950 for my S&W 696 which is a .44 Special and I'd bet she could shoot that just fine, however it is a heavier gun and wouldn't carry as well on a daily basis, and really wouldn't conceal well either.

I noticed that she had shot a G26 with the grip extensions and kind of liked it. I was going to suggest that but suggested the G17/19 instead. I got a G36 a couple of months ago and with the Pearce Grip extension it makes a good carry piece that you can actually shoot, but it's a .45.

My whole point of suggesting these guns is that you stated you were on a budget. The only Snubbys worth having, that you are likely to run into used that still have decent life left in them,,, are S&W J Frames. Even then they are going to be more expensive than a new Glock unless the seller is dumb.

If she really wants a Snubby, then I would suck it up and bite the boolit and get a nice new one for her. A Birthday or Christmas present would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

I bought my wife a new VW Passat Diesel two years ago. She came unglued when VW got caught and took a real set against the car, which was a really nice car that got exceptional mileage. Then She wrecked the car, and since VW can't sell the Diesels, I couldn't replace it,,, and I tried real hard!

Now she has a new Chrysler 300C which is a really nice car and she loves it, so life is good.

Buy them whatever they want, and things smooth right out.

Randy
    Daley isn't on a budget, but she is a pretty thrifty gal. Drive a beater Kia to work during the week and cruises in her Lexus on the weekend.

the SP101 with the 2.25" barrel and in 38 wasn't really a compromise. It's close to the 3" she wanted, and it will handle the load she wants to shoot in it. Plus it's steel, balanced, and rugged. The more she thinks about it, she just didn't like the adjustable sights on the M60. And I have to agree, they seem fragile. I like fixed sights on my carry weapons, or at least heavy duty. She has already offered a night sight for the front and custom inserts from Chip. We are taking her this weekend to get a holster picked out and I'm hoping to find one myself in case the belly band doesn't work out for this 5 shot.

Daley did like the 640 Pro we saw today, and I won't be suprise that she gets it if she can have a 2.5" barrel on it. If it's as accurate as my 642, I will grab it even with the nub of a barrel on it!
    in fact, the more I think about it the more I want to save my pennies and buy one over the SW M60.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    That is why the .32 has become popular again. At one time, before my time, it was a staple of LE carry. 327 would be my only choice for a pocket gun if I carried in my pocket. For me a 5 shot is just a backup, it just gives me more comfort to know that extra round is there if needed. Now I do carry a Rossi 352 as a backup to my Ruger 32 H&R Vaquero. I always carry revolvers in pairs, even when a revolver was the duty gun I carried a small Sterling semi auto in the handcuff case.

Most semi autos of compact to duty size I do not feel I want to carry two handguns. Sorry off topic, but I see your point, I bought a Colt Cobra in 79 for a backup, and found it was too thick for pocket carry as a backup. Sold it for a model 36 which was too long, traded it for a 2 inch model which was just right.
    Back in 2005/2006, I was an AUX officer and my COP got a six shot j framed 32H&R Mag and we reloaded for it and got a nice casted bulet from CNC (local dealer and caster) and it was about the perfect BUG or CCW. And I remember a slew of 32 revolvers about the same time.

Now to aurgue the 6/32 vs 5/38, I don't see it. I personally wouldn't want to mess with reloading for the 32 now, so the 38 makes the cut for me. Or could go the other way and say why not a 22mag with 8 shots?

Now one that I have said all of that, watch a 32 snub come up for sale cheap and I will buy it! LOL

Jerry

Lefty, Charter Arms made a bunch of Undercovers in .32 S&W Long. Unlike the current magnum version they hold six shots. Given that they were designed for .38 Special they should be able to handle any .32 S&W Long ammo under the sun. You should be able to find a really nice one for $200.00 or so on Gunbroker.

If I came across a .38 Special SP-101 for a reasonable price I would certainly give it a hard look. They are outstanding guns for sure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Lefty, Charter Arms made a bunch of Undercovers in .32 S&W Long. Unlike the current magnum version they hold six shots. Given that they were designed for .38 Special they should be able to handle any .32 S&W Long ammo under the sun. You should be able to find a really nice one for $200.00 or so on Gunbroker.

If I came across a .38 Special SP-101 for a reasonable price I would certainly give it a hard look. They are outstanding guns for sure.
    CA always seem to have a Snubbie in just about any caliber you would want.
    on a Pug in 44Special and wish I never let it go. it's on. My wish list.

Charter is the snub nose specialist for sure. I had a Police Undercover for awhile, a six shot .38 built on the Bulldog frame. Great gun, ended up selling it to get out of debt. Wouldn't mind having another, although my new Rossi is pretty much the same thing. The quality of current Charters is very good, I think at least comparable to the cheaper offerings from S&W and Ruger.