RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Tool

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking to get one, until I came into an RCBS Turret Press. I really, really like the on press priming system on this press, and I use it almost exclusively now.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Since I'm on the borderline between healthy hands and cranky old arthritic hands, I feel I can safely say this:

If you're older, have more money, likely a larger bench space and room to reload in and are soon to or are beginning to have some trouble with your hands, RCBS bench mounted primer seater, regardless of which model, will save your hands a good bit of pain.

If you're significantly younger and have years to go before you'll have problems with your hands, have less money, a smaller bench area and you competing with your kids for space in the house, the hand held primer systems are for you.

Boolit Master
    The older RCBS tool is mentioned most in the thread above and its a good tool but the newer version, the Automatic is fast, easy to use and far superior to any tool on the market.

Problem is: the OP wanted to know about the current tool and all the old tool owners confused the situation talking ancient history about of their older RCBS tool which is not made anymore.

Fact is: Automatic RCBS bench model priming tool is outstanding.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmmmmmmm??????

Looking at the catalog, they must be using an old photograph to illustrate the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool as the one pictured is no different then the one I have used for probably at least ten years.

Great tool.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Bub
    Having arthritis in both thumbs I've pretty much given up on my Lee Hand priming tool.

I bought the RCBS priming tool about 3 months ago. I love it. My bench is a home made setup with inserts for this tool and all my presses / luber-sizers to fit. I don't worry about it taking up space.

Both of my thumbs give it a thumbs up.

Ted

Hmmmmm!

milprileb wrote in part :

"Problem is: the OP wanted to know about the current tool and all the old tool owners confused the situation talking ancient history about of their older RCBS tool which is not made anymore.
    Fact is: Automatic RCBS bench model priming tool is outstanding."

I went back and read the original post again and found the OP wrote in part:
    "I have also seen some of the older vintage ones - are the new ones better or if I could find a older vintage one will they work O.K. - any short comings to them? "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am glad the newer APS tool is a good one and most replies from this thread thought the older model was viable as well, depending on how much priming speed was needed. Actually aren't we really discussing two different systems with similar names?
    regards,

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS does make a newer bench mounted priming tool for the CCI primer strips but the tube type that is in the Midway link is absolutely identical to the one I've been using for at least 25 years. No idea of how many thousands and thousands of rounds I've primed with it with no signs of wear anyplace. I do keep a film of grease on the contact points of the arm and on the pivot bolt. It's not that folks are confusing the new one with the an old style, there two different ones available.

I mounted mine to a piece of 5/8" thick steel the width of the tool and about 2 1/2 times as long as the tool. When priming I add the weight of a drill press vice holding two 5 pound lead ingots on the rear of the steel plate just for the weight. I uniform all primer pockets after each firing with the Sinclair tool and with the RCBS priming tool set up this way when seating the primer it takes the same amount of pressure to lift (pivot) the rear of the steel plate off the bench each time. All primers are seated to the same depth with exactly the same "crush". I started doing this when I was still competing in long range and still do all primers this way.

When not priming mine stores under the bench. I highly recommend this tool, once it's on the bench and primer tubes are filled I can prime a 100 round box of brass in a matter of minutes and all are perfectly uniform.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub

My RCBS priming tool is the tube type. I've been using it since the 70's and other than wearing out the pistons it's been flawless.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2400 View Post
    My RCBS priming tool is the tube type. I've been using it since the 70's and other than wearing out the pistons it's been flawless.
    Huh? Pistons?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Huh? Pistons?

Rick
    Sorry Rick, I don't know what else to call the little rods that push the primer up into the brass.

Boolit Master
    WOW 2400,

That would be a lot of priming to wear those out!

CDOC

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    WOW 2400,

That would be a lot of priming to wear those out!

CDOC

It was, about 40 years worth and still working.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 2400,

40 years could see a lot of primers!

CDOC

Boolit Buddy

The little spring broke on mine, and of course RCBS replaced it with no charge. It is one of the VINTAGE ones the other poster said was no longer made that really still is.

Boolit Master

Liliysdad,

The RCBS Bench Priming Tool is a real asset on my bench. I've had one for over 30 years and use it for virtually all of my priming that's not done on a progressive press. It's mounted on a 6"x6"x1/2" piece of aircraft ply and can be mounted to threaded brass inserts that are set in my bench in a repeating bolt pattern to set up any 3 tools I choose at a time. I have about 8 tools including a case trimmer, Dillon pocket swager, powder measures, presses; essentially all of my single stage reloading tools on aircraft ply or steel plates with a matching hole pattern so any tool can be mounted at any of the 3 positions.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I mounted mine to a piece of 5/8" thick steel the width of the tool and about 2 1/2 times as long as the tool. When priming I add the weight of a drill press vice holding two 5 pound lead ingots on the rear of the steel plate just for the weight. I uniform all primer pockets after each firing with the Sinclair tool and with the RCBS priming tool set up this way when seating the primer it takes the same amount of pressure to lift (pivot) the rear of the steel plate off the bench each time. All primers are seated to the same depth with exactly the same "crush". I started doing this when I was still competing in long range and still do all primers this way.

Rick
    Rick, that's a brilliant solution to consistency!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I have one of these are RCBS bench mounted priming tools. However, I use the Lee and priming tool and it works just fine, and I believe it's a lot faster too.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the tube-fed RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. It's a nice piece of equipment, and since I use an accessory base plate it only takes 30 seconds to swap it out of my way for a press or other tool.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I've used one of these for a LONG time!

The only thing to come anywhere as good is my old Lachmiller, but it is hand fed!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

In Remembrance

I got my old style tool back in 1980 as I recall. One of the first things I did to it before I seated a single primer was to attach it to a piece of 2x10" plank about 10" long. When I need to use it I simply `C` clamp it to my bench (it is 8` long) and proceed. I prefer using the original shorter tubes as the newer longer ones are a bit ungainly till about 1/2 empty. For seating primers in Mil. Surp. cases (both rifle and pistol) this unit is the best for me.Robert