Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Gas Checks and kinetic boolit puller

Gas Checks and kinetic boolit puller

When loading GC cast boolits and sometimes you might set the COL a little deep and decide to pull it out a little with a kinetic puller, do you ever worry if the gas check may have come off the boolit? Is there anything TO worry about here?
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

All the way one way or the other, no half measures.

Either leave them as they are, or totally pull the boolits and pull the checks if needed. A small screwdriver or awl tips them sideways and I use a small mosquito forceps to grab them and pull them out. The absolute worst of course are those which are indeed to deep and come off and are no longer in the neck. Then you end up with a mess so it is best avoided if at all possible.

Mostly after the first session of pulling 40 boolits, then 40 gas checks, then checking powder charges in case some got spilled. I decided it was easier to get them right the first time. Or shoot them as is.

Your call as to which is needed.

What I do know is that every time I have made a pound cast, then a dummy cartridge, taken my time, done it right. Then checked function, adjusted, rechecked, then set my dies. Well it is worth the effort. For me accuracy has always been better doing it that way and you don't have the hassle of pulling gas checked boolit's. So it has become standard routine proceedure for me with each new cartridge I dive into. I really should go back and redo some of the old ones.

Boolit Master
    They will come off, its often easier to shoot them.

Boolit Buddy
    I find many checks come off when pulling GC'd boolits.

Easy to get the checks out, push them on one edge with a thin nail to tilt them, then grab the tilted-up edge with long nose pliers or tweezers and remove.