RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bullet Puller

Boolit Mold

Best Bullet Puller

I have a few bullets that need pulled due to setting too short. I have looked online and there are so many options. I have a Forster Co-Ax press and I know that Forster makes what looks to be a decent bullet puller. Does anybody have any thoughts on it? Or what do you use that you've had great success with and that doesn't completely destroy the bullet.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    For jacketed bullets the Hornady cam lock is the best I have found. It is fast and easy to operate. The RCBS collet puller works ok but is much slower and the bullets tended to stick in the collet taking time to remove them. It was also much harder on the hands using the small rod.

Collet pullers tend to deform boolits. I use an impact puller (looks like a plastic hammer). Seems to work the best and they are cheap. I have used RCBS, Midway, they all seem to work about the same.

Steve

The only puller that I have used is the Franklin kinetic puller, going on 15 years now. It has surpassed all of my expectations: low cost (under $20), durability (used it over 15 years and still using the original o-rings) and non-damaging to components (leaves no marks and allows for reuse of brass, powder and bullet). Not to say that there aren't better "mouse traps" on the market, I simply like the kinetic method.

Boolit Bub
    Couple things I did to the RCBS puller was to polish the outside of the collet so it released from the die body easier. I bought a thrust bearing from MSC that had fitted over the handle that screws into the collet. I had bent the handle over the years from pulling bullets. The thrust bearing GREATLY reduced the effort to closing and opening plus it sped up the process.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    The only puller that I have used is the Franklin kinetic puller, going on 15 years now. It has surpassed all of my expectations: low cost (under $20), durability (used it over 15 years and still using the original o-rings) and non-damaging to components (leaves no marks and allows for reuse of brass, powder and bullet). Not to say that there aren't better "mouse traps" on the market, I simply like the kinetic method.
    I use the franklin as well. If the boolits are *really* stuck, run em through the sizing die with the decapping pin removed. It'll squish down the boolit a bit and make it easier to remove. Salvaged some wadcutters missing powder that way though I had to recast the lead.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Kinetic puller! Fast - easy and no deformed lead bullets
    Regards
    John

I have two kinetic pullers, the spare is still in the package. I use it all the time. I also have a collet puller which I rarely use.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I used a hammer type kinetic puller for years until it broke last year. Out of necessity, I had to pull a few bullets and improvised. I took the die out of my single stage press and put the loaded round in the shell holder, raised the ram all the way up, then grab the bullet with dikes and lower the ram. It is fast and easy, but will ruin the bullet. Not a big deal with cast, I just recycle them. I wouldn't want to do it with expensive J-words, but I don't shoot many of them either.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

If you use a kinetic bullet puller do yourself a favor and change out the collet for the one made by Quinetics. You'll never need to remove the cap or collet again between whackings.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    I guess I was mistaken in assuming that powder would go everywhere with a kinetic puller. From what you are all saying it sounds like that is not the case and kinetic is the way to go. Honestly, that was my main concern and reason for looking into the collet pullers.

Boolit Master
    I have done it a few times recently with my Franklin on some 38 and 357 RNFP bullets where the ogive of the bullets had some variation and set my bullets .003~.005 too deep. I believe the package of bullets I was using came from two different batches. I have a single stage press and my process seats and crimps the bullet in separate steps so knocking the bullets back out a few thou was easy.

My other use is range pick up duds to save the brass. Since I use it for knocking apart multiple rounds I consider the captured powder contaminated and dispose of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbal3173 View Post
    I guess I was mistaken in assuming that powder would go everywhere with a kinetic puller. From what you are all saying it sounds like that is not the case and kinetic is the way to go. Honestly, that was my main concern and reason for looking into the collet pullers.
    Oh, powder goes everywhere when I do it. If you are slow and careful you can pour the powder out from the puller.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

May Liberty Increase!
    Collet for volume, kinetic for the occasional.

If you use the LNL bushings, the RCBS type is a pain as it unlocks the bushing every time you unlock the collet.

If it's just a matter of the bullet set too deep, you don't have to remove the bullet with the kinetic type, just bump it until the OAL is longer than you wanted and reseat.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Kinetic only seem to work well on concrete floor or steel welding table. Any wood and there is just a touch too much cushion using up the force. At least when I do them. If doing more than a couple I might suggest gloves, I did 20 rounds and got a blister from mine. Hammer rubbed in an odd spot since the handle was not full thickness like a regular hammer handle. Did lose some powder (not much) if I was going too fast and did an extra swing after the bullet came out.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I used the kinetic puller (per the directions using a block of wood on concrete) and had good luck for about 2 months. Then I tried to pull some heavily crimped 22 hornet bullets from PPU and the puller shattered.

I didn't like the kinetic puller due to the noise and the powder going everywhere when the bullet is free.

I switched to the RCBS puller. It's simply amazing. I can even pull cast bullets without marring them. Just need to pull them from a lube groove. Great puller. Well worth the money. No complaints.

Boolit Master

I've used a kinetic puller for a number of years (1978 - to present), and recently got into a Hornady cam lock system. For a quick one or two pulled bullets, the kinetic is great; any more and I go the the Hornady cam lock. The Hornady is much faster and if you're pulling jacketed there's almost no visible marks on the projectile.

Boolit Mold
    Awesome. Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like both styles are useful for different purposes and styles. I greatly appreciate all of your comments.

Boolit Master

I use a kinetic for a few i.e.. under 10 rounds then will go to a puller press based I use an RCBS set.

I try not to mess up so I don't need to.
    To pull millsurp, collet all the way.

Boolit Master

I use a kinetic that I got from Midway about 20 years ago. Several years ago, I threw away the 3 piece collet that is held together with an "O" ring and started using a regular shellholder as recommended by someone on this board. Much better.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have both............ and I use both. Just depends what needs to be done to what.