RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sciatica anyone?

Boolit Master
    Best treatment for back problems is a 16 foot runabout with a 55 hp outboard motor. Wish I still had that boat.After a few hours on the lake you felt like you'd been to a massage parlor, except no extra charge for a happy ending. I loved that boat but not quite that much.

You just have to try stuff till you find something that work. My hip and leg just started bothering me about a month ago. About 11/2 years ago it was affecting my shoulder and upper back. Chiropracters have been no help, painkillers - no, muscle relaxants no. ... PT has helped some as well as just staying active and applying heat gives some relief. My own experience has been that the more I baby it the worse it gets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Check with your Dr before letting a Chiropractor or therapist use the DTS machine. They messed up with the setting when they tried it on me and it felt like someone ran a red hot poker down my entire spine. I used to love my inversion table until it became painful as my back got worse. You can also get your Dr to prescribe Seroquel (sp?). Think they use it for bipolar but a single lowest dose (no issue with stopping them) has the side effect of letting you sleep. I used to be up every hour or two but that really helped with the sleep. Good luck.
    What was your routine with inversion table? Share your inversion table therapy routine so that i can also initiate it.
    Last edited by Brisiong; 08-20-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Master

-relocate wallet...I sometimes take it from my pocket while driving
    -soak in hot tub of water
    -meds,I use hydracodone and oxycodone
    -tens unit is a god send along with the wife massaging my lower back

Oh yeah...it plain ole sucks!!
    You can't walk,stand up,lie down,just kinda waller around.But I did find that if I lay on the floor,scoot my but up to the couch with my legs and feet on the couch,it gives some relief.

Good luck brother,it don't go away,maybe take a break,but it will be back.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    Two words... chiropractor and ice.

Boolit Master

Chiropractor and inversion table, the ice helps as well. Went through this almost 20 years ago. I get to doing well and back off of the Chiro and have a re-occurrence. I was really skeptical of a Chiropractor but when I got to the point that I couldn't stand it I was ready to try anything for relief and he helped. In fact I've got an appointment this morning.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Brisiong View Post
    What was your routine with inversion table? Share your inversion table therapy routine so that i can also initiate it.
    Have actually started using it again and can now tolerate 3-4 minutes and getting slightly better over time. Start slow and adjust your incline. On full incline It became clear how I could move and what not to do. My pain was so bad I was actually considering letting them cut me but I have started using the Quell unit I saw on tv. I checked it out and they have a 60 day return policy and good reviews on Amazon. Helps about 80% of folks. Been using it for a little over two weeks and it is helping with the excruciating pain part so no cutting for now. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I've had this miserable sciatic pain for years. Have a compressed disc pressing on it but since my insurance was screwed up by obamacare mandates, I would have to pay 6000.00 for my deductible for surgery. Might try a chiropractor and see if he can crack a few joints. So far not much will take it away for more than a few hours. Really sucks.

Banned

Cost us a lot to get carol fixed. Chiropractor with the machine. Three ruptured disks from a car accident. She could not walk but after the first treatment she walked out and was cured at the end.
    Nutrients, machine and tenz after. Not covered by insurance. But I told her "NO CUTTING". Inversion will help but disks need nutrients to heal. The doc gave bottles of it. I watched her fall asleep on the machine. She could not sleep at night. Good doc and I could go in and watch, given good coffee and a comfy chair. The machine is computer controlled. Surges and is fit to the section of spine up to the neck.

Moderator Emeritus

I struggled with back problems from '81 to '12. Surgery finally fixed it. After hurting it badly, and in tremendous pain, my doc gave me muscle relaxers and a pain killer, and started dialing the phone for an appt. with a back surgeon. I'd long heard almost only horror stories at that time about back surgeries, and looking back, they were in the infancy, I think, of really learning how to do them. After talking to others about their own problems, (easy since there are so many here!) I declined the operation and decided to try everything else before that, because of the many horror stories I was hearing about back surgeries at that time. Quite accidentally, I discovered chiropractic! A friend called me because I was the only person in town he trusted to do so, and I went from my work and picked him up at his work, and helped him into my truck, and took him into his chiropractors. Had to help him in, grunting, groaning and exclaiming, and his eyes were large with all the pain. The doc came and got him, and helped him back, did the treatment, and in a little over 30 min., my friend strutted out like a banatam rooster with a whole chicken coop of hens to play with!!! I may not be the sharpest wit around, but when you paint me a picture like THAT, I CAN at least learn what's right before my eyes and undeniable!

I'd been taught that chiros are "quacks" and would hurt you, and if you went to them long enough, they'd likely kill you. So it was with some trepidation and much frustration that I went to my first chiro treatment with my buddy's chiro. I could not believe the results! I walked out normally, albeit with a little sense of swelling.

HOWEVER, there's a qualifier here. I've never since found an individual chiro that can do what that chiro did for me. He closed his office and moved to Atlanta to tend to his in-laws' properties in Atlanta. I've tried every chiro in town since, and not one has been anything like the one I started with.

Chiro is an art, really, and like any artist, talents vary. I just happened to luck onto one that kept me from surgery for many years, until he moved. So if you try a chiro, don't expect the first you go to to be your last. There is LOTS of variation among them! MUCH more than with MD type docs. And IF (never a certainty) you CAN find one that really "clicks" with what ails you, he CAN let you avoid surgery for many years, and there's no telling what we'll learn in that time that might ensure your good to great results compared to what we have now.

I figure I'll always owe Ralph, my and my buddy's original chiro, an awful lot, because he enabled me to go for years until they finally seem to have the back operations down very much more solidly than they did 30+ years ago!

But if surgery is the prescribed "cure" for you, be assured that though no surgery's outcome is a given, it's FAR, FAR better than it once was. 80% of the folks I asked initially did NOT recommend surgery, and horror stories were not uncommon. Now, probably 90% recommend it and have very good results. That's a BIG change! For once in my life, I think I actually did the right thing! Probably just an accident, but boy! Am I ever grateful for it now!

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    The last round of sciatica for me came from sitting cross legged in a shower floor for a day doing tile work. My usual low back pain relief methods did nothing for it. I googled yoga for sciatica, found some stretches and started them. Within 2 days it was gone, doing the stretches twice a day for about 20 minutes each session.

For garden variety LBP, I found shooting 200 yard targets with my M1 gave me a lot of relief. Shoot a clip, walk down and check target, walk back, repeat. After 3-4 clips my back doesn't hurt anywhere close to what it did when I started...and 4 trips is close to a mile of walking. I suppose just walking a mile would work too, but not nearly as fun.
    The enemy of good is better.

Moderator Emeritus

I have also found that I feel a lot better after walking the 2.3 miles around my community lake. Need to keep moving.

In Remembrance
    My wife had a 'stimulator' implanted above her buttock.
    After a couple of months, she is till trying to decide if it is worth the effort ... and price.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator Emeritus

That is why I decided to try the Quell unit. Straps on your calf and 60 days to decide to keep or not. The constant pain sucks. Just got the news from the employer fitness for duty exam I was sent on. Can only work two hours a day. Finishing up my unused time then have to try for a disability pension. Fun times.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 08-17-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Commented to much

Banned

5 back surgerys later. Three for discs two for implanting stimulator (had to be redone) I'm as bad as ever. If you think a tens unit helps you probably don't have real pain. Ive got the industrial strength unit implanted in my back and its fine for mild discomfort when driving but it doesnt NOTHING for REAL back pain. As a matter of fact ive found that the elect. current flowing through your muscles tends to make you tighten up and can give temp relief but make the big picture worse. Same goes for narcotics. If narcotics make your pain go away you don't have REAL back pain (short of high dose narcotics that inject in you after surgery) When I'm bad I can eat oxycodone like m&ms it they do about nothing but constipate me and have me sitting in a chair to lazy to move but still hurting.

As to it coming on fast mine happened at age 49. Never had a bit of back problem. Don't ever even remember a sore back. I lifted a 75lb roll of wire and twisted and went to my knees. Been down hill since. Now I'm going in for a hip replacement that the doc said could have been at least partially caused by my bad back and walking wrong because of the pain. As to what to do I don't have a good answer for you. If you can bear it for a few months WITHOUT narcotics then Id try it and see if it gets better. If its just muscle pain a chiropractor might help. If you have serious disc problems theres no way in HE^^ id let a chiropractor twist and stretch me.

Id be looking for a REAL doctor to give you a game plan. Like I said narcotics ARENT the answer. Maybe for a couple days but your playing Russian roulette with addiction and theres lots of bad side effects even if you don't get addicted. Exercise is good, that is if its GOOD exercise. Talk to your doctor and do JUST WHAT HE SAYS. Not what someone on here tells you. Bottom line is theres proabably 50 percent of the population that has back problems of some kind and all of them are full of advice. But if you fall into the 2 or 3 percent that have REAL problems, by that I mean you cant function because of pain. I mean the kind of pain that makes you crawl out of the bedroom in the morning not the kind that an advil takes care of then you need to ignore everyones advice on here including mine and go see at least one good back doctor if not two. A lot of marginal cases don't get relief from surgery. Some even get worse. But a bedroom crawler about allways comes out of it at least a little better so don't fear surgery.

Banned

mine sure wasn't. If I didn't fear even more pain and scar tissue id probably have it removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    My wife had a 'stimulator' implanted above her buttock.
    After a couple of months, she is till trying to decide if it is worth the effort ... and price.

Narcotics is never the answer to enduring pain. The drugs kill the nervous system and magnify the pain after about three days of use. It's much better to "man up" and go with the pain, not tryi g to fight it. After three days of pain the body begins to adapt to the cause, some pains will never go away, one has to learn how to live with and adjust their life style. The worst thing one can do with back pain is gain weight, if you are laying around to ease the pain don't eat. With time things will get better, good luck

Banned

one other thing to not rule out. I have been having a lot of pain in my left buttock. Its the side I allways had sciatic pain in. The first thing the doctor asked me was if I had numbness in my toes. He said siatic nerve problems, at least bad ones, about allways have numbness due to the nerve being damaged or pinched. I told him ive had no feeling in my toes for 10 years on my left side. Just out of luck he noticed on my xrays and mris that I had a bum hip. He said hips will give the same symptoms of sciatica but without the numbness. He told me if I didn't have a past history of back problems that would be the first thing he would have looked at. I have to agree with him. Ive hand moderate to severe sciatica over the last 10 years. the last two years were just moderate and I thought I was improving then this cropped up and common sense told me it was my back again. To be honest I couldn't tell you theres one tiny bit difference in the pain or where its at. It still shoots down the leg just like sciatica too. So after all this babble my point is to have your doc look at your hip too.

Banned

yup and that's very hard to do. Ive gained 40lbs since my first back problems. I was very active. My job as an electrical lineman kept me in shape. I never did get back to work and between sitting around recovering from operations and the fact that I just do get the excursive I used to get at work the pounds have snuck up on me. Just last month the wife and I started going to the gym to work out. Just starting to get in the grove and now its time for another operation!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Premod70 View Post
    Narcotics is never the answer to enduring pain. The drugs kill the nervous system and magnify the pain after about three days of use. It's much better to "man up" and go with the pain, not tryi g to fight it. After three days of pain the body begins to adapt to the cause, some pains will never go away, one has to learn how to live with and adjust their life style. The worst thing one can do with back pain is gain weight, if you are laying around to ease the pain don't eat. With time things will get better, good luck

Moderator Emeritus

Was at my Ortho doc this morning and we're discussing the stimulator implants. While there I saw the BMI index chart. Ever notice how much of a joke they are? I am 6' and 207lbs with a 35" waist. According to that chart I am 30lbs overweight! You have to keep moving no matter the pain, it really will help after a bit. I walk my 2.3 miles everyday, even in the rain - I will skip the icy days in winter as I am scared stiff of falling with all that is wrong with me. I also adjusted my diet to account for the loss of calories burnt during activities I used to do. Tough not eating my cupcakes and sweets like I used to.