Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt SAA still being produced?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Colt filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on June 15, 2015. They are still trying to figure out what to do as the the dust hasn't settled yet. Except for some government contracts they aren't really making much of anything and they don't really know what they have for parts yet either.
    Colt has released many new, and successful, models in the last year.

I'm eyeballing a commemorative for about $1200... Seems like a fairly decent price for it. Will hopefully be able to post back a positive report!

Boolit Buddy
    I believe you will be pleased. I'd send it off to Doug Turnbull for CCH and Carbonia bluing

Boolit Grand Master
    I am VERY enamored of all things Colt. Among my eclectic collection is a SAA variant, a 4-3/4" Bisley in 32/20 WCF, vintage 1906. It shoots quite well, and since it was my great-grandfather's primary sidearm as a rancher and farmer, it is among my most treasured possessions.

This does NOT make me a member of The Colt Cult, though. The prospect of having to wait two years after paying $1400+ for a 5-shot handgun--then having so send it off to a custom gunsmith to have its construction and refinement completed--sounds like buying Rugers to me. The difference is the wait on a Ruger is days to a couple weeks, and the price is about 1/3. Ditto on Ubertis. I am 61 years old and have some medical conditions that may end my days before that Colt could arrive. This is why I opted for the Uberti SAA for $430 OTD in 2013, which arrived in about a week at the local toy store. I shot it within a couple days, and continue to do so when my condition allows same. Had I opted for the Colt--which I can afford--I might still be waiting, and in that time I have approached finality more than once. Some folks may not have 2 years+ to wait. Further--I have waited on Colt Firearms to get their sorry act together for half my lifetime--they are no closer to that goal now than they were when I was 30 years old (1985). At least in my 30s, I thought I was immortal. Au contraire, mon amis--time waits for no man.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-11-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I think you can get a "brand new" anything instantly.. you just gotta pay for it.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Lumpkin, wouldn't he just be redoing what the factory did?

I checked Davidson's Gallery of Guns for you. Everyone of their Colt single action army is allocated to dealers. You may have a long wait to get one. Best option is to find the biggest dealer in your area as they normally can get hard to find guns faster then a small dealer can. The factory reps give them priority due to them buying more volume.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My understanding is . . .and this is just in talking to some dealers as well as seeing some posts on other threads . . . is yes they do but the wait time is extremely long. If you are looking for a particular caliber and barrel length . . . you might just have to start putting feelers out there and keep a watch on GB. One of the dealers near me that I've purchased from a number of times, had one on their used list a number of months ago . . and it went fast.

Another place to take a gander is over on the Colt Forum.

I have always wanted a "real" Colt SAA but put it off for one reason or another. At my age now, I really can't justify it and not having kids, I wouldn't have anyone to "pass it on to". I did whet my appetite though with a 7 1/2" Uberti 45 Colt Cattleman and love it. Not a "real" Colt . . but close enough and the target doesn't know the difference.

Good luck with your search!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Lumpkin, wouldn't he just be redoing what the factory did?
    You got me there. I was thinking of another commemorative that was all blued with no CCH.

Ah. I will certainly check him out. As of right now, I found a 1971 NRA Commemorative centennial model, 7 1/2" barrel, cold case hardened finish, and chambered in 45 colt. Looks to be never fired, should be right under $1200 after shipping and transfer. Hopefully that was a good deal! I know I've read that the nra models dont appreciate in value like the standard models do, but I intend to shoot it anyways.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    They are built in the custom shop.
    The Custom Shop only does engraving. The Model P as the Single Action Army is called in house is assembled at a different location in the factory, not in the Custom Shop. The Model P is entirely built in the factory, every part including the grips. The frames and are forged and all the parts are made and assembled at the factory. The color case hardening is done in the factory.

Boolit Master
    I don't regret paying big money on my late third split serial Colt SAA in 45 colt. It is a work of art. I have close to 5,000 rounds down the pipe and the lockup is still as tight as the day I bought it. It is smoother, but not much more than out of that beautiful blue and gold box. I have shot almost all of the clones, and nothing feels like the real deal.

Boolit Master
    B. Lumpkin, it has often been said they are built in the Custom Shop. It's not true. The Custom Shop does not build them.

Boolit Master
    I recall the last message

Electric88, that NRA centennial your looking at typically is about the lowest priced second generation Colt. Since it's a second generation, Colt won't work on it. Several others will so that's not a issue. If you change the barrel and stocks, you can make it look like any other second generation Colt, of course the serial number will be the dead give away of what it originally was. I have several Colt SAA in 4 barrel lengths including 2 buntlines. If I had to choose only one, the 7 1/2 barrel length is such a pleasure to shoot with light and full power loads. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up smkummer!

I wanted something that was a shooter, so I figured this one would be the way to go. I think I might leave this one as is, as its not a gaudy commemorative. Maybe I might send it out for a rebarrel one day, but I'll be content for the moment. I guess I'll figure out what I want to have done to it, if anything, once it is in hand

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    B. Lumpkin, it has often been said they are built in the Custom Shop. It's not true. The Custom Shop does not build them.
    The ones I ordered had to be ordered through the Custom Shop. If they are factory line guns, then maybe they should boost production.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    The ones I ordered had to be ordered through the Custom Shop. If they are factory line guns, then maybe they should boost production.
    That would be a step in the right direction, for certain. Marketing strategies that are premised by the thought that "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" are a non-starter for many people, and the sitch with 22 LR ammo is a classic example of same. "Shortage marketing" that started with the oil companies circa 1974 is a virus infecting many businesses, and its net effects are mostly to aggravate and alienate a customer base.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-14-2016 at 05:09 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Colt has made great headway in the 1911 market over the last year, so maybe they'll listen to us hollerin' for them to boost output of SAA revolvers. They don't even have to lower the price like they did with their 1911 lines, just make more of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir--I would love one of their Commander mid-level variants. I just today learned that my CCW regs got expanded markedly, and it is now kosher for carry.