RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a vintge Winchester

Boolit Master
    Haven't hunted for quite a few years now. Job, family, health and living in a anti-gun/anti-hunting state have all been impediments to time in the woods with an old (in every sense of the word) friend.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Wow I'm glad I found this thread. The fellows talking about hunting with paper hulls in shotguns bring back great memories.
    When I first started chasing Pheasants we didn't have plastic hulls. I've hunted with Federal paper hulls a lot, they work great. I've found if you reload paper hulls with card wads, & Unique powder we get the old smell we used to love after they are shot. Pretty darn effective on Pheasants too over dogs.
    Thanks fella's for bringing up nice old memories.
    I'm staying tuned to this thread.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Wow I'm glad I found this thread. The fellows talking about hunting with paper hulls in shotguns bring back great memories.
    When I first started chasing Pheasants we didn't have plastic hulls. I've hunted with Federal paper hulls a lot, they work great. I've found if you reload paper hulls with card wads, & Unique powder we get the old smell we used to love after they are shot. Pretty darn effective on Pheasants too over dogs.
    Thanks fella's for bringing up nice old memories.
    I'm staying tuned to this thread.
    Wow, yeah, I remember the smell of paper hulls! I'd forgotten all about that.

I started reloading when I was a kid, my dad bought a used MEC shotshell setup and I did most of it. Don't recall Dad ever using it, other than showing me how to do it. Used to prefer the paper hulls, they'd crimp closed better than the new plastic ones, and were just more "right".

Boolit Master

Some 5 years ago a person I knew invited me to go rabbit hunting.

We met our "host" and got ready to hunt.

The host was shocked when I started to load my trusty 311 with Federal paper shells.
    Federals were purchased as NEW to be loaded from Gibson's in ABQ prior to 1966 and among the last 20 gauge I have loaded which were loaded in 74. Should get them out and see if they will fire normally.
    He is young so was shocked as I doubt he had seen a paper shotgun shell.
    I just wish there were enough things around here to hunt with a shotgun.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-06-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I brought back a non-functioning Remington pre-11 autoloading shotgun (1906 manufacture) that was in our family back in the late-40's into the 1950's - well my LGS did most of the work but I coordinated it lol.
    Haven't went hunting with it but I know I really need to.

Pictures & background story at my RimfireCentral thread here if anybody is interested:
    An old Remington and a little family history

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I brought back a non-functioning Remington pre-11 autoloading shotgun (1906 manufacture) that was in our family back in the late-40's into the 1950's - well my LGS did most of the work but I coordinated it lol.
    Haven't went hunting with it but I know I really need to.

Pictures & background story at my RimfireCentral thread here if anybody is interested:
    An old Remington and a little family history

Thanks for that link, I love looking at old photos of my Father & my Uncle hunting when they were young.
    Both have passed now, but memories linger.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1309.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	173773This is my hunting plan for this year, I posted this in lever guns earlier. My dad gave me this 1886 Winchester (@1891) 45-70 years ago. Dad is 84 years old and I want to kill an elk with it while he is still around to enjoy it with me. I plan on using black powder with the Lyman 457193 bullet. I put the tang sight on this year for target shooting and load development. I will hunt with the barrel sights as I am confident in the sight settings. So far the hunting god's are smiling on me as I drew a cow tag along with my bull tag so my odds just went up

Boolit Master
    hpbear101, I'm very anxious to see pics of an elk taken with your model '86.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hpbear101 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1309.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	173773This is my hunting plan for this year, I posted this in lever guns earlier. My dad gave me this 1886 Winchester (@1891) 45-70 years ago. Dad is 84 years old and I want to kill an elk with it while he is still around to enjoy it with me. I plan on using black powder with the Lyman 457193 bullet. I put the tang sight on this year for target shooting and load development. I will hunt with the barrel sights as I am confident in the sight settings. So far the hunting god's are smiling on me as I drew a cow tag along with my bull tag so my odds just went up
    Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing.
    FWP has a number of 300 zones that you can take a cow Elk with your A tag now.

Boolit Buddy

I primarily hunt 334 in Trail Creek. I'm kind of anxious to see some pic's too Smokeywolf

Boolit Master
    This is my 3-generations-in-the-family Winchester '97. It goes hunting every spring...

And this is at least 3-generation Winchester 1890 that still gets out now and again (not the greatest picture, granted)...

Boolit Master
    Brent, have you the "leg of mutton" case for your old '97?

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

That's about all I have! My 1910 Model 8 Remington has taken a few deer, but mostly I use a restored muzzleloader.

Here is my favorites Win 95, Mar 94, Mar 97, Win 53. These are the ones that I use the most for
    hunting.

Boolit Master
    I have a mutton case, but I don't really use it for anything at all actually .

Nice rifles Drm50.

Boolit Master
    Keeping to the OP's question, I hunt with a few vintage Winchesters. Two pre-64 mod 70's 30-06 and 243, a 69A 22rf, mod 53 32-20, mod 43 218 Bee and a mod 12 12ga. Most of my other guns I hunt with are vintage, but aren't Winchesters. Now that I think about it, I only own 4 guns that were made after the mid 60's.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a nice batch of Winchesters quack1.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing everyone. Some nice guns still in use.

Boolit Master
    My first deer, and my son's first deer, were killed with an 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF. Mine was shot in 1965 when I was 15 years old, his in 1985 when he was 15. The gun was my father's, he died when I was 7 years old, so this was really special. I was hunting with my step-father, the man I've spent many hours in the woods with. I now hunt with his Savage 99 most of the time and hope to get a deer with it before he passes. The gun, deer, and I are in this photo. The rifle was made in 1895. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first deer 1965 fixed.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	173943
    Last edited by Maineboy; 08-11-2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Maineboy, that's a nice deer, & rifle.
    Thanks for sharing.