Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 308 cast load

Boolit Master

308 cast load

1. I tried Larry gibsons load of 2.8 grains of bullseye. I didint have the lee 90 grain bullet but had some 314 diameter 100 grain cast Bullets I had for my Nagant revolver. I sized them. 313 all I have and a .314 sizer-and loaded them up. It shaved a little lead going in the case but they shoot great out of a cheep 308 axis savage . I only shot at 25 yards but the groops are amazing all 5 shots touching low noise and no recoil. I then tried the round ball loads still accurate at 25 but like loading the 100 grainers a lot easier to load. Since I was shaving a little lead loading them I decided to take my decamping pin out of my 303 die .003 bigger same size as my 7.62x54 die.they load no shaving of the bullet this time. This is a awsom load at 25 yards. Don't know how they will do at 100 but so far very impressed. I will have to go to the range to try them at 100 yards. My back yard is good for 25 or 30 yards only. Thank Larry for this great load. Only problem now is my 16 year old son already tried them and wants me to load him 300 or 400 to shoot. If my wife and the other kids try them out I won't have a chance to shoot will be to busy loading. Next thang I will do is order the lee 90 grain mold

Boolit Master

Good stuff for the learning shooter and for just plinking, vermin shooting or small game hunting.

When the kids were growing up, I loaded many such rounds in 30 calibre rifles for them. My son started reloading with me using this recipe.

Other good choices for loads like this are any of the 32/20 or 32 S&W cast or swaged boolits.

I'll pass on your compliments to Larry tomorrow at the range.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I just got a noe mold .312 130 grain I cast a few months ago also made some with my lee mold 160 tl mold.i haven't loaded them yet but will soon. I have been waiting on a lee sizer .310 or .311 Amazon was out of stock the last few months. I wanted to use these bullets in my 303 or my nagants but looks like the savage 308 axis I might like better.

Boolit Man
    I miss Larry's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by trmungle View Post
    I miss Larry's posts.
    I do also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I am using cast Bullets for the 32/20 or 32 .314 swc sized to .313 100 grain.They worked good in my Nagant revolver. There a little hard Bhn 16 or 18 don't remember ,ordered them 4years ago. Using them in 308 is it a good ideal to open up the flash hole up to .099 .0100 to keep from pushing the shoulders back ? Will try out to 50 or 100 yards today and let u all know they do thanks for the info . Also how does the 4.0 to 4.5 grain load do at slightly higher volicity ? Just wondering

Boolit Master
    Well I tried this load at the range today. I didint get past 25 yards. 4 or 5 shots would go into almost one hole great accuracy. Then the 7 or 8 shot would go wild 2 or 2 1/2 in groop. Then I would do another groop same thang.Looks like I need to do some better sorting of bullets or cases. I didint sort cases or Weigh boolets just loaded them up. I also have mostly one brand of cases but do have two other brands mixed in

Boolit Master

Using them in 308 is it a good ideal to open up the flash hole up to .099 .0100 to keep from pushing the shoulders back ?
    I keep my cases for squib loads segregates as they have their flash holes opened up. As a result, there is no collapse of the should when firing low pressure loads.

I also have mostly one brand of cases but do have two other brands mixed in
    Different brands and often different lots will have slightly different weights. I've noted over 10 grains difference between military Ought-Six and 7.62/308 cases and their civilian cousins from Winchester. Heavier cases will usually produce higher pressures due to less internal capacity.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf