Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Discharged a round inside the house

Boolit Master

Just for the record, I do all my disassembly in the garage where I keep a large bound bundle of old magazines backed by an 8" thick slab of wood. The firearms, even when I know they are empty are always pointed at the bundle. IF I were to have an accident, I know the bullet wouldn't be leaving the garage. Just a habit I got into early on,,,,,,somewhere around 40+ years ago.

Boolit Man
    Nice of you to fess up and remind us all to stay safe at all times. Ours is a potentially deadly and/or life altering hobby and we must be on the lookout for Murphy at all times. Super happy you or anyone else were not injured. Thanks for the reminder.
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Grand Master
    A lot of first stones getting cast here, refer to the Good Book for details.

I have had 2 NDs, and I remember both vividly--one c. 1970, the other in 1981. THANK GOD the arms involved were safely pointed during both occurrences. Much respect to the O/P for "owning" the occurrence and sharing it here. Ignore the catcallers, and take props for reminding MANY that everyone's feet are made of clay. Good on ya, sir--who knows how many lives you saved, or injuries you prevented with your directness.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    My AD was a 45 auto. The slide was back on an empty gun. Dropped a round in the chamber and pushed the slide release...Boom!. John Browning designed the feeding operation to slow the slide momentum and I bypassed that. The force of the slide 'smacking' home sheared the edge off of the lock work and the hammer would not stay back after that. 230 grain slug thru a kitchen chair and into the floor....

Boolit Master
    Yes, thank you for having the courage to admit what happened, to remind of what's possible. I think that the most important thing is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction... always. That way a AD or ND will only put a hole in something replaceable or fixable.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Hah, muzzle pointed in the right place is always our back up.

Now if you blew a hole in the wife's oak china cupboard it would be a different story. You didn't blow a hole in the water heater or roof, no body got hurt and all you have to look at is a hole in the floor, your good to go.

Thank goodness no body got hurt.

Boolit Master

Note this model does have a loaded chamber indicator that is both visual and tactile.

My friend's son shot the end of a finger off his left hand with a XD 40s&w a couple years ago. Same thing with not being careful enough on disassembly, discharged a round when pulling the trigger in order to remove the slide. It's a design issue that should be changed. While Springfield's XD and XDs lines are disassembled with a trigger pull, the slide on the XDm will come all the way off without pulling the trigger. Not sure about the newer Mod 2 models. Just wonder why Springfield wouldn't use the XDm trigger design through the whole series? It functions really well, and is safer for disassembly.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Good report and even better reminder. That when you think you know it all and have done it all, you don't and haven't. We are after-all imperfect humans.

My biggest dumb bass attach came one afternoon when I got the boat trailer stuck in the spring mud. Thought I could pull it out by myself. I did of course but not until after rupturing a disk in my back. Stupid me!

Boolit Master

Well OK..I will join the other brave and somewhat negligent folks that admit to a ND. It happened a couple of years ago for me. The rifle in question was an old Savage 340 bolt action 30-30. I was having problems with the detachable magazine not feeding correctly. I purchased another magazine and was in the process of "checking it" for proper feeding. It did feed OK and in the process my trigger finger was in the wrong place. I was setting on the floor with the muzzle pointed at a 45 degree angle toward the ceiling. Upon closure of the bolt the rifle fired just as it should have given what I had done. The lead boolit went through the wall at an upward angle, glanced off the side of my gun safe in the next room. As I recall the boolit skipped along the back wall some and came to rest on the floor on the other side of the safe. My wife was in the next room and immediately yelled at me "Is everything OK?". Of course I said yes. To this day I am so thankful that a little paneling and some touch up paint was all that it took to fix the damage. Of course the damage to my pride cannot be fixed but I did learn a very valuable lesson from the ordeal.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Was in a local gun shop yesterday morning and wound up looking down the pipes of an old Damascus barreled English built 12bore. Politely put my finger on the muzzle and deflected it elsewhere. The old gal that was trying to sell it to the owner got a bit huffy with me and informed me it was an unloaded antique muzzle loader. I informed her politely that it was a breech loading cartridge gun and sternly let her know that pointing guns at people is not sociable behavior in a 'stand your ground' state like Florida. She reiterated it was not loaded. I asked how she knew that. She got a really puzzled look and the store owner took it from her and broke the action open. She asked him if it was broken.

Some folks just shouldn't be out in unfamiliar country.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had 2 NDs many years ago. The first when I was 18 and was doing my best Bob Munden with a 357 and put a round about 6 inches in front of my foot. The second was about 30 years ago and I was shooting my Wildey in 45 Win Mag. I had a problem with the trigger returning properly when I fired it. I was working at an indoor range and was shooting it in back. The trigger failed to return and I turned it in my hand but was still pointing it down range for the most part. Well between the failure to reset and my rotating the firearm, the trigger reset, and when I flicked it to reset it, I tore about a 5 foot groove out of the block dividing wall. Well it was spectacular to say the least and to top it off I had an audience of about 10 people watching me shoot it. The applause from the peanut gallery was it's own reward.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by oteroman View Post
    We all need to fess up, there are no accidental dischages.
    Just negligent discharges.
    Stay safe.
    Rsise that (safty) bar.
    Really????

Bought a new to me pistol at a gun show. Took it to the range and shot a few boxes thru it.

It had what is called a hammer drop safety. Guess what, with a loaded chamber the hammer drop safety did not work. No idea why not, but of course the pistol was pointed down range.

Later found out there was a piece that had broken. Likely while I was shooting it, the safety had worked correctly before.

Negligent?? Hardly

Accidental?? Yup

It was no fault of mine!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I had a 32 double action that I aimed and pulled the trigger the round hit a support for my wall shelf.It took a chunk out of the support but that was all the damage just careless on my part.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

I have a good friend, Johnny, who has three fingers on his left hand to permanently remind him of the proper procedures.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

I had one ND, I was getting ready to go to a pin shoot and had my magnaported 1911 on the bench cycling dummies through it, doing all the safety tests, making sure the hammer didn't follow, etc. I had some pin loads that were a 255gr LSWC Keith type boolit, over a hefty charge of 700x, but I didn't have any dummies made up with that boolit!

So I figured well, it had been functioning perfectly, I *guess* it would be okay to run some of these live rounds through it and check them for feeding. About the 3rd round out of the magazine BAM! Hammer followed and the gun fired. I was standing at my workbench with the gun pointed horizontally to my left, and there was a Craftsman cast iron bench vise about 3' in front of the muzzle. It caught the boolit midships and man let me tell you, IT DANG NEAR SHOT THE VISE COMPLETELY OFF THE BENCH! Destroyed the vise. With a 1911!

Good bowling pin loads are nothing to sneeze at. They make awesome bear medicine.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    No one was hurt. Did you learn something?? My guess, absolutely.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I wouldn't be blaming this as a "safety issue" of the gun . . . most of my semi automatics require the trigger to be pulled in order to the slide to be removed. The problem is a "human issue" . . . i.e. . . "you". One of the first safety rules taught is to make sure you weapon is unloaded and cleared. Obviously, you didn't do that. You had been shooting it . . . did you make sure the weapon was cleared after your range session? Or did you load it to carry as a CC after you left the range? If so, then you knew that there was a round in the tube.

My words are not meant to "give you a lashing" . . . I am pointing out that you did not follow safety practices and the AD is on you . . not the pistol. Floors can be fixed . . . it's a little too late if a round goes off and kills some one sitting across from you, someone downstairs or someone upstairs. Fortunately, nobody was injured. And if my comments seem harsh . . . I apologize but I have had several experiences with AD and people being injured and killed when I worked Ambulance and Fire Rescue.

Whether a person has been shooting a year or fifty years (and I have been shooting over fifty years), we all still need to develop safe habits when handling firearms and not get "lax". I never trust that a firearm that I own, or somebody else owns, is unloaded and the first thing when picking it up I check it to make sure it is cleared.

I'm glad that no one was hurt and I'm betting that this will be a good "reminder" to make sure your weapon is cleared before cleaning or getting ready to clean. It's happenings such as this that make the lawyers smile and the manufacturers having to put warnings on the firearm.

I taught my kids to always check a firearm before handling it. That was 45 years ago. Now, every 4'th of July they come up from SoCal to picnic and celebrate with Ma and Me. Each 4'th we'll go out back to shoot some of the guns here...Invariably, whether it's my daughter or one of my sons, as soon as I retrieve a weapon, safety check it and hand off to them...they will perform their own safety check also.
    This past 4'th, when my oldest son Eric started to safety check the 1911 I chuckled out loud in satisfaction of what I was seeing. Eric says "whats so funny Dad?" I replied that it was a chuckle of satisfaction, that I was glad to see him checking the weapon as I taught him so many years ago.
    Eric replied..."I may be getting grey like you Pops but I ain't getting forgetful!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I taught my kids to always check a firearm before handling it. That was 45 years ago. Now, every 4'th of July they come up from SoCal to picnic and celebrate with Ma and Me. Each 4'th we'll go out back to shoot some of the guns here...Invariably, whether it's my daughter or one of my sons, as soon as I retrieve a weapon, safety check it and hand off to them...they will perform their own safety check also.
    This past 4'th, when my oldest son Eric started to safety check the 1911 I chuckled out loud in satisfaction of what I was seeing. Eric says "whats so funny Dad?" I replied that it was a chuckle of satisfaction, that I was glad to see him checking the weapon as I taught him so many years ago.
    Eric replied..."I may be getting grey like you Pops but I ain't getting forgetful!"
    HA! good man. I make everyone safety check weapons at the house too even if I just checked it pulling it out of the safe in front of them. Reinforces good habits and I like my son to see you check it every time regardless.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!