Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Scope Recommendation Around $200

Boolit Grand Master

Rifle Scope Recommendation Around $200

Leopold VX-1 3x9, Vortex Crossfire 3x9x50 BDC, Nikon Prostaff 3x9, Nikon, P-223 3x9, Vortex Diamondback 3x9.
    Suggestions are needed.

A $200 scope in not a $4, $5 or Thousand dollar scope. The person who said "You get what you pay for" Was talking optical glass.
    I'm convinced of it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I will guess this is going on an ar?

Boolit Master

the last few nikons I've bought, mainly bcd 50 for muzzle loaders have been well worth the money, the last 2 weaver kaspa series scopes I've gother one for a Mauser and one for a 1917 Enfield have been very good glass, very repeatable clicks and fairly light weight and streamlined. $200 buys a lot more glass than it has in the past....my all time winner budget scope was the old Simmons 44 mag, great glass, bought 2 at $99 one on a encore in 7mm rem mag the other on a 300 Weatherby, they have held up very very well under recoil and hunts and even a bumpy ride down a mountain! I've got some more Weaver optics in my cart on pallmeto state now, I've been very pleased at what their 190 or so dollar scopes deliver, for testing loads and switching back and forth or deer hunting I'd be hard to beat them, and even at that price..full warrenty
    Last edited by nagantguy; 07-16-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    What you pay for is coatings and light gathering capabilities. It is real hard to tell a good scope from an excellent scope unless side by side. I prefer to look through glass on an over cast day, the proof is in the pudding.
    Yes there are some cheaper scopes that have good light gather capabilities. The vortex midrange and upper end come to mind.
    I had a lot of low end scopes for quite a while and thought I was happy with them until I looked through some of the upper end bushnell elite series scopes and leupolds.
    I will admit I was one of the ones that would drop $500-1000 on a rifle, then my budget was shot so I would by XYZ brand scope for $88.88. That is like buying a new car and putting used "may pop" tires on it and then going on vacation across the country and expecting to go the full trip.
    Most guys don't ever fool with windage or elevation after getting their gun "sighted in". That is another thing you pay for, repeatability. I shot my share of BB UAS class IHMSA matches for years, I used a Bushnell EER 2-6 and from 50-200 is right at a full revolution of elevation. I bought the first one the second year Bushnell made them, Baush and Lomb back then. It has never failed me yet.
    Some folks cuss them, but I have never had a reason too myself. I have at least 15 Bushnell scopes now and several Leupolds and Burris, and am quite happy and hold my own at matches.

Dont over look bases and rings. That is another place not to scrimp. And don't be hasty about setting it up and getting it square to the bore. It's either right or wrong, no in between, ok is not good enough. If it is expect ok results on targets.
    Only you can decided what serves your purpose. Don't just buy what you can afford,you better off to save up and get what you want.
    Now after all that blah blah, I will tell you what I was told long ago and never took heed to. Spend 1/2-2/3 of what the rifle/handgun cost is a good rule of thumb.

Boolit Grand Master
    THANKS!!

I have Kohlmorgen 4x and 6x. Burris 3x9 purchased in the early 80's that is heavy and long. 1960's vintage Leupold, several vintage 4x Weavers.
    Thinking about an AR platform rifle and a 3x9. I haven't purchased a scope in years. Quality has gone up though. Money isn't as flush as it used to be, But I have a few hundred for optic and rings. Redfield Revolution is an option as well. U.S. made in Oregon by Leopold.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    You've listed all good scopes there. I'd go with the Vortex. Have had good results with them. Check out "Optics Planet" as a purchase source.

Perma-Banned

Shiloh, you are on the right track...$250 will buy a very serviceable scope for things that most folks do.

Boolit Buddy

Op, if you go with vortex you will not be sorry. The only thing about the crossfire is it's a little heavier and may have a fixed paralax. Any new scopes I buy will be Vortex for the foreseeable future.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    You've listed all good scopes there. I'd go with the Vortex. Have had good results with them. Check out "Optics Planet" as a purchase source.
    You can normally find a 5% off coupon too if you do a little online looking.

+1 for the Redfield Revolution. My wife has a 3x9 on her round top Sako .250 Savage and I have the 4x12 on my Tikka 22-250. Excellent no-fail optics.

2 years ago I bought a Bushnell banner 4x12x40. I think it was $80 where I got it.

My 2 shooting friends are Redfield and Nikon lovers, they them selves were extremely impressed with the clarity. Maxed out adjustments and looking down rage at 300/400yards they claimed it was impressive.

The only thing I can compare it to is the 60 year old fixed scope that came on it.

So, my review is limited. My friends reaction/jealousy made me feel even better about my new set up

I
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Grand Master
    Vortex. Buy the best model you can possibly afford.

Vendor Sponsor

For the money, I was and still am quite impressed with the Leaper's UTG scopes with the etched glass reticle and side parallax adjust. I use them on airguns but they are springer rated which requires a LOT better scope than what you would need on a centerfire rifle. 3x9x44 compact with rings $150 shipped. It has mil dot reticle with colors but I find myself never using the illuminated features as they work really well without them.

Would work great for an AR, and the compact size would be a plus.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I also use a springer air rifle optic on my AR-15. The AR has a forward 'recoil' like the springers and the rated scopes just seem to last a long time.

I just bought a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x from Midway for $40 and mounted it on a bubba-ized SMLE No.4 Mk.1 using a B-Square mount. I'll try to find this thread again tomorrow and post a photo via "edit". So far I'm impressed with the clarity of the optics, finger adjustable windage and elevation dials, etc. Prior to that I was buying the Tasco World Class scopes which I really like, but this one seemed better suited to the purpose.
    Attachment 172503
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 07-18-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: add photo

Banned

ive got a couple vx1s, one of the newest prostaffs (much better then the old ones) and two crossfires. Now 5 years ago I would have put the Nikon on the bottom of the list because of there poor low light performance but this newer one is all together different and I would put it at the top of the heap. If you only are talking the newest Nikon and the newest vx1 (which is basically a 5 year old vx2) Id call it pretty close for all three and it would take some real trained eyes to show much of a difference in performance. Id say buy what your heart tells to and feel confident you have yourself a decent scope.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the new Prostaffs, and they are pretty good. My wife just bought a new 17 hmr and needed a scope for it. I recommend another Prostaff and she got the rimfire version 4x12. It is an excellent scope. The clarity is the same or better than my older VX-III. Id definitely consider another Nikon when I need another scope.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the Redfield revolution. I have the 2-7 on my 1951 35 Remington. With that scope i have shot .75 inch groups at 100 yards and 1.375 @ 200.

Boolit Bub
    Leupold, hands down. Same reason you should buy RCBS. . . no question, no BS warranty service.

No matter how old, they fix it.

Boolit Master
    I went with Leupold's on mine. good customer service, good warranty, much clearer than whatever scope my dad has been using on his 30-06 for decades. I have some others that came with assorted rifles that I've taken back off just for iron sights. Appears from your list you have a quality selection already so any would most likely do great.

My savage came with a Nikon scope on it and it has done well for a freebie. I think the ones you selected are bit nicer than what I have.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!