Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 358429 Anyone use this for IHMSA

Lyman 358429 Anyone use this for IHMSA

Has anyone used 358429 for handgun silhouttes?Will it knock down fullsize rams at 200 meters out of a 357 mag or do I need to get another mould for a heavier boolit?I shot my ruger blackhawk last saturday with jacketed bullets left over from when I last shot this game 15 years ago.I have enough 170 gr. sierra's and 180 gr. noslers to do one 40 target match.When those are gone I'm going to use the outer's foulout to get all the copper out of the ruger and go to nothing but cast boolits for everything.I did knock down 1 ram with a 170 sierra fmj but it took a long time to finally fall.So would Elmer's SWC do it provide I actually hit the rams?

Boolit Master

As you must know, Rams are fickle. Depending on how they're set and which way the wind blows, the 358429 are at least as good as the Sierras.
    Try to keep the alloy as soft as your accuracy demands will allow. On target "Dwell Time" is paramount.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Mold
    I havent used a Ruger for silhouette in a long time. It is very tough with the short barrel and crude sights offered by Ruger. If you can seat it deep enough you can use the RCBS 200fn. That doesnt leave much powder space. You can use 38spl brass, also. All you need is 1050 to 1080 fps and a steady hand. Try ihmsa.org for more info. Ben

Boolit Master

Out of a Ruger, I suspect it might be on the "marginal" side for rams. I used to shoot a .357 TC for IHMSA Standing Class and used hard-cast 170 grain RNs for the whole course. A solid body hit would drop rams every time but tagging a leg was always an iffy proposition.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
    I havent used a Ruger for silhouette in a long time. It is very tough with the short barrel and crude sights offered by Ruger. If you can seat it deep enough you can use the RCBS 200fn. That doesnt leave much powder space. You can use 38spl brass, also. All you need is 1050 to 1080 fps and a steady hand. Try ihmsa.org for more info. Ben
    You mean 1050 fps at the muzzle?Do you mean the RCBS 200 ment for the 35 Remington?
    When I shot silhouette's 15 years ago I had a Contender in 7mm TCU also a ruger SBH in 44 mag.I have a ruger Redhawk now in 44.I guess I could use it.I knocked down all the rams I actually hit with the SBH.I wanted to try this with somethig a little cheaper to shoot.I'm probably just dreaming.This will probably escalate into 2 or 3 more guns and several moulds.
    I used to have a lyman 429303 mould.Cast them out of 9 lbs of wheel weight's and 1 lbs of 50/50 solder,used 24 grs. of 2400.Those wheel weight's must have had a lot of anitmony in the because every thing cast with them was really brittle.I knocked down 2 chickens with one shot a couple of times.Once I knocked down 2 rams with one shot.Of course only one counted.At one range they complaned because I was knocking the chickens over the little berm they had there.Added some lead the next time I used those wheel weight's.Cut back on the powder for the chickens too.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, with a Ruger it will be difficult to generate more than 1050 to 1100 at the muzzle due to limited powder space. Yes, I mean the rcbs 35-200 for the 35Rem. It is one of the best designs going. If you have a 44 I'd say use it. Why try to ramrod a 357 and take it to matches only to be disapointed ? 10% 50/50 solder results in 5% tin in the mix. That's about twice what you need. Tin is expensive, use it wisely. It is unusual to find w-w that are heavy with antimony but you might have. Good luck with the venture. Ben