Boolit Buddy

Pedersoli Howdah Hunter .58

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoulder-stock-for-howdah-huntter-pistol.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	171426
    This one is identical to mine.

Some time ago I picked this up. It was a very good steal, I mean deal so I just had to get it. It is what I refer to as a fun gun and I have been shooting patched ball in it. It appears though with the 1 in 18 twist (just discovered that) it might be better suited to conicals. I am aware of the concern over conicals in a double barrel.

I also decided some time ago that with 11"+ barrels and almost 18" OAL, it was a tad ungainly even for a fun gun. Enter a butt stock. Much easier to handle. More like a SBR or carbine.

Now for the real questions.

Has anyone actually hunted with this rig? If so, what are you shooting, patched ball or conical? If conicals, do they shoot better than the patched balls accuracy wise?

Anyway, I am going to experiment but thought I'd ask for the sage advise of others here.

Thanks,
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Perm-Banned
    i have a 50 cal 1/28 twist cva with a short barrel and stocked it also. looks like a uzi. high scope mounts and a 9 power scope and it will do anything that a 26 inch barrel will. drive tacks. find the right bullet and charge and you have a good hunter.

Boolit Buddy

I am probably going to try one of the R.E.A.L. bullets. I have found conicals are okay in my .72 DR as long as they are tight enough that I mallet seat them. I think that will hold true here as well. Since I have a butt stock I am going to begin with a standard charge for a .58 ML and work mu way up/down to hopefully find the sweet spot.
    Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Mold
    nice looking little gun !

That just looks fun!
    I have a .58 minne ball mold from Lyman....but no .58 caliber gun. PM me if interested.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the offer. I have a .58 Minne' mold for my 1851 Enfield but for this one I want to have the rifling engraved as I seat it. In my .72 Double Rifle I mallet seat the bullets. Never get any jump in the second barrel which can be a disaster with BP. Probably end up ordering one to my specs from Accurate Molds.
    Dave

I think maybe it was johnson1942 that had a bullet design, brilliant concept, that the rear end was spherical and got patched as a round ball. And the front end was bore riding.
    That concept might just be the cats meow for a heavy bullet that doesn't move on you.

Boolit Buddy

I'll look into that. Might just be the ticket.
    Dave

Boolit Buddy
    This one looks like a fun shooter.
    http://classifieds.rennug.com//class...dindex=4017146

IT'S GONE
    Last edited by Rimfire; 07-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy

And considering the price on the Pedersoli repros, that is a great price.
    Dave

Perm-Banned
    its a 50 cal. mold and weighs 535 grain cast in pure lead. the back end is patched like a round ball. the front end is knarrled up a little by rolling between two large clean flat files.that part is a bore rider very very slightly engraved. it is put in the bore like a round ball would be. shoots very very good in fast twist 50 cal guns.koger, a member here is using the mold right now.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    its a 50 cal. mold and weighs 535 grain cast in pure lead. the back end is patched like a round ball. the front end is knarrled up a little by rolling between two large clean flat files.that part is a bore rider very very slightly engraved. it is put in the bore like a round ball would be. shoots very very good in fast twist 50 cal guns.koger, a member here is using the mold right now.
    I'd be happy just to see a picture of them. Maybe I can whip up something for the .58 that way.
    Dave

Boolit Buddy

After getting a picture of the mold Johnson 1942 had made for a .50, I put something together to try in my .58. Dimensions aren't set at this point. Just a start and need to refine them some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ballette 58-2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	172558
    Dave

Perm-Banned
    that is absolutly perfectly made. you could sell those bullets in various cal. that will shoot very very accurately and also be as easy to load as a round ball. go for it and please keep us in the loop.

Boolit Master

I want one!!!
    Even if I have to take knee or find a stump to reload in the woods. Be fun with wabbits!

Boolit Buddy

Glad you guys like it.
    Dave