Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Finally found a reason to own a glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I own three of them, they are OK, but that is it. They work, but my 1911's work. When they have been around as long as my Star Super proof stamped in 1949 and still functioning then I will consider them as competition to a 1911. As stated they are OK, high capacity, light, and popular but not anything more in my eyes.
    I think you hit it square on the head with your comments. I don't consider it to be competition for the 1911. It's just way too different. But the bottom line is, it's lighter, has a higher magazine capacity and it just works. I definitely don't think the Glock is as enjoyable to shoot as even my low end 1911, but I still like it.

Banned

1911s are my first love. Theres just something about them. That said if you think an out of the box 1911 is as reliable as a glock you haven't fired enough rounds out of both of them to even comment. All of my guns get a initial 500 round test. Reloaded cast bullets shot without clean or oiling (other then an initial pull down and oil). Ive yet to have a glock fail the test and its a rare 1911 that does 500 without a bobble of any kind. Now sure some will say that's a severe test. Nobody is going to not clean a gun in 500 rounds that's going to depend on it to protect themselves and yes I will agree. But I can name at least a half a dozen 1911s I owned that didn't even make the first mag or two. Problem a lot of times is the original 1911s were a loose built gun. Made to keep running in harsh enviorments. Most today are just the opposite. Everyone wants a tightly fit gun that's accurate. Most don't understand that you don't find many both accurate and reliable 1911s for under 800 bucks. Do a fair comparison and compare a 500 dollar 1911 to a glock instead of comparing a 1200 dollar gun that costs twice as much. Ill even go so far as to say a glock is JUST as reliable as ANY 1911 at any price. Now its not competition to a 1911. To me both are totally different guns bought for totally different purposes. The 1911s go to the range and are taken to competitions but on my bed stand theres a glock, in my glove box in the truck and jeep theres a a glock. Why? Because no matter how long they sit. No matter how dirty they get and theres no stupid safetys on them. No matter if I drop it in a mud puddle leaving the truck its going to go bang when I pull the trigger.

Boolit Master

My glock 26 doesn't get make me ooh and ahh like the other firearms I own. It is, however, the one clipped to my hip every time I head to the rec property.
    No deliberation, it goes.

'Monkey

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=WebMonkey;3696910]My glock 26 doesn't get make me ooh and ahh like the other firearms I own. It is, however, the one clipped to my hip every time I head to the rec property.
    No deliberation, it goes.

Ditto here. I have some real good guns. My 'down and dirty night time hasta work gun' is a used Glock 22 police trade in. Reliable as it gets.

Boolit Grand Master

While I'd like a SBR with suppressor, I still wouldn't buy a glock.

Now a nice Sig, sure, I'm game.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Don't worry, you too will join the collective at some point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	171457
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

"Don't worry, you too will join the collective at some point."

No, for sure not. But I am happy for those who can tolerate/love their Glocks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    shoot one enough and the ugly goes away.
    And I hear the grilled cheese even gets better!

Wait...what?
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Don't worry, you too will join the collective at some point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	171457

Let me rephrase. I wouldn't buy a glock to have a lower for that conversion, I find others more attractive.

I currently own a few glocks, notably a model 20
    and 31. I will eventually add a 19, but find my M&P line a bit better and have them in 9, 40, 45 as well as a shield in 9mm.

Banned

you can find just lowers for sale on gun broker or guns america

Banned
    Some would say that once you buy a Glock you will buy another one. I can say that about my 1911's as a own a bunch of them or maybe I should say they own me. I was bullied into buying a Glock 23 by my son. I got tired of hearing him tell me about the increased capacity of the glock over my 1911 officers model and finally threw in the towel and bought it. I hate the damn triggers on them. You pull and you pull and finally you hit a point where resistance is felt and then another 1/2 inch or so and it finally goes bang. Can't say that about my 1911's with their almost 3lb trigger pulls I should have said their CRISP trigger pulls. My son always told me that someday I might have to use the gun I carry and I should have something that holds over 6 or 7 rounds and my answer has always been that if I happened to run out of ammunition I would simply throw the 1911 at the person and run like hell. My thought has always been that if I ran out of ammo without taking the attacker down I wasn't much of a shot and I shouldn't be carrying in the first place.About that increased capacity of the Glock..... I have been used to shooting a clip in my 1911's and then ejecting the clip and popping in a new clip a fairly easy thing to do especially when one has been doing it for years, right? Shooting the Glock and well i've passed 7 rounds and when in the hell is the clip going to be empty so I can eject it? Still firing and soon it should be empty, right? Still firing and now I'm too the end and I can finally eject that clip and put in another. Its simply not as much fun to shoot and shoot and shoot and wait! I've still got rounds left in the clip. Its just not right it just doesn't feel right to have more than 7 or eight rounds in a clip.

Boolit Grand Master

I only own one Glock but it doesn't take "clips". Either does my 1911. Do you have some special models

I have a G20 for woods carry. No one else offers a 10mm like it. Recently bought a 357 Sig barrel for it "just because". I own a Remington R1 because it's a loose gun. But it did not like cast bullets until I reamed the barrel throat. Neither of these platforms call to me. They are just tools at the end of day. Now my CZ 75s.....they are tools as well. But they call to me

Glocks are a factor in the pray and spray mentality.

Banned
    I stand corrected...magazines not clips......sorry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Glocks are a factor in the pray and spray mentality.
    The person pulling the trigger is the main factor in the spray and pray mentality.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think that the spray and pray phenomenon is created by the collusion of gunmakers, so called experts, pop culture depictions of gunfights, and reports both documented and anecdotal of perps not stopped by rounds from six shot .38 revolvers. Add to all this the current tacticool fad that is sweeping both LE and gun culture and you have lots of folks who are likely to participate in a gunfight with lots of poorly aimed shots.

I usually carry my Glock 42, 6 shots of .380.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

But it ain't worth the hassle of getting a $200 tax stamp for one. Got a friend that has one, shot it and it is fun, but not cheap even if you did not have to have a stamp and the wait.

Banned
    In moment of weakness I purchased a Glock 20 used. It was very accurate but generally it killed the brass. No stove pipes but it ejected so hard that it dented the brass. Dispite all that I had heard about the recoil of a 10mm I found that it was fun to shoot and easy to control. Probably should of kept that one as I 'm not fond of my model 23. I find that you have to grip it with the idea that you don't want it to torque to the right and it will shoot dead center 100% of the time.As someone mentioned in a earlier post is the glocks always fire when you pull the trigger.

Banned

ill give that an amen. I know some real idiot shooters that have high dollar guns that I could throw rocks at a target at 15 yards and make more hits. I also know very knowlegable shooters who own high dollar 1911s and when they leave there house its a glock they have in there holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The person pulling the trigger is the main factor in the spray and pray mentality.

Boolit Master
    I got rid of the glocks I had, just didnt like them compared to all my other pistols, that grip angle. I kept one frame to put a mechtech upper on. Have considered buying the 80% frame being offered as it seems to solve all the 'glock ' issues.