RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I saw something similiar once, the extractor claw missed the rim of the case and the bolt slid backwards leaving the case in the chamber. Is this the "Marlin Jamb"??
    No. A jamb is the framework around a door. The "Marlin JAM" (as in traffic jam, not to be confused with PB&J sandwiches), is when a cartridge slips in under the carrier and locks itself between the action and mag... Lever is locked, can't move up or down... requires the removal of either the mag tube cap, spring & follower, possibly the lever & floorplate, or all the above. If not caused by a broken or badly worn carrier, it's caused by poor timing of the carrier, running the gun well outside the design limits. Pretty common in amongst cowboy action shooters & the mdl 1894 in .38/.357, although not limited to just the 1894.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Not much in the way of Marlin leverguns around here (Redlands, CA) for quite some time. I do have a Remlin in the safe, an 1895 in 45/70 that is EXCELLENT. I caution that I was able to examine it prior to purchase (3 years ago) and see that the sights were all clocked right--the action was stiff but smooth--and the finish was decent. I would NOT order a Marlin levergun--or most other firearm makes--"sight unseen" these days. Not many, but enough 'defectives' in the mix to prompt caution.

This example is my 3rd 1895 to date. Its predecessors went down the road to friends that couldn't live without them. The current monster is by some distance the most accurate of the three, with the OEM irons I have no trouble keeping several types of castings at or under 3" at 100 yards. 2" is frequent/5 shots, esp. with an Accurate 460-405 FNGC at .459". It DOTES on that bullet, from 1400-1800 FPS. I am loath to put glass sights on leverguns for any purpose other than load development, but this one might benefit from one of the Skinner aperture assemblies.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 06-23-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    I've got 2 Marlins a Glenfied Mod.30A 30/30 made in 1976 that's been thru my circle of friends since it was bought new and the first owner sold it to a mutual friend who sold it to me for $100 back in 1986. I needed money a few years later and sold it to another buddy who in turn sold it to another and then it was offered back to me for the same $100 along with 8 boxes of 150gr CoreLock's. My other Marlin is a Mod.336 made in 1978 that I had to give outrageous the sum of $300 for 2 years ago, both are jm stamped barrels and when they leave me it will be to go to my Grandsons.
    Edit; I still have 3 boxes of those Corelock's with the $8.99 price sticker on them, I've kept them while shooting up several boxes of other brands until I got into reloading, one day I might shoot one box but I want to give a box to each of my grandsons along with the story of how I came to have them when I give them their 30/30's
    Last edited by MarkS; 06-25-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Master

Marlin's moving to get out of the tax crazy sites, going to the South where we really like guns
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

Only Marlin I have is a Golden 39A that I've had for over 50yr now. Bought it brand new, in the box from Western Auto when I was a youngin and didn't need my parents to buy it for me back then either. Still have it, still shoots, and it's going to my Son when I croak. Still takes tree rats from 50yds, nice rifle, well it's the only rifle I own
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Why would you want anything else?

Boolit Master
    It is human nature for those who are dissatisfied to carp and whine incessantly and ad nauseum while others who are satisfied seldom find it necessary to make an issue of it. Doesn't matter if it is about manufactured goods, entertainment, politics, religion, social behavior, etc..

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    It is human nature for those who are dissatisfied to carp and whine incessantly and ad nauseum while others who are satisfied seldom find it necessary to make an issue of it. Doesn't matter if it is about manufactured goods, entertainment, politics, religion, social behavior, etc..
    I think it's exactly that. If someone gets a fine firearm they may show it off to their buddies or a few people at the range. If they get one with an issue they will tell everyone around them and everyone they can find online. We've all been guilty of it to a greater or lesser extent. Like Bagtic said, human nature. I've got my eyes on a Marlin 1895GSBL in 45-70 Govt. I didn't know they are being made in Alabama, even better.

Boolit Grand Master
    I surely do wish that RemLin would hurry up and get some 1894Cs in 357 Magnum into the pipeline.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.