MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dies for precision 308 rounds

Dies for precision 308 rounds

Been messing around with a Savage 308 that I bought from Dicks on the cheap 11VT, bolt with a crummy stock and optic. Mounted it on a Bell & Carlson stock with the aluminum bedding block, Falcon Menace Scope and a 20 MOA base. Want to start loading some rounds to up my game out to 600 yards at least. I have assembled some parts for this (had to take some time off though for some Family issues), bought a Lee Classic Cast SS press and am looking into dies. I've always had good luck with Lee Dies and was thinking the Yellow 4 die set? Was considering the Forster or Redding dies with the Micrometer adjustments for the bullet seating. Seems it would be easier to get set up and if it ever got out of whack after developing a round easier to reset. Just wondering about what some of you guys think about any of these die choices? Or if you have other suggestions.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I saw an article a while back and the most accurate rounds the author managed to load were loaded with a hybrid set. He used a Lee collet die, and a Redding(it could have been Forster, but to my memory, it was Redding) benchrest seating die.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Depends on just how accurately you want to make the cartridge. You can go off the chart on that idea like benchrest shooters do. I bought a book published by a benchrest shooter that addressed all their concerns just so I could be aware of all the little things that can be done. In the end I bought a set of Hornady dies and have been very pleased with 1/2 MOA results.
    My cases weigh in at +-2 grains, Varget powder is auto dispensed and trickled to exact weight, boolits, HPBT's are set .010" off the lands in a single stage press and all these primary concerns get most attention. I keep concentricity to a max of .005" and all is well.
    You can go to fire formed cases and neck size only but at some point you have to decide just how OCD you are going to allow yourself to get over this.
    You need remember also that you as the shooter are the weakest link in this chain.

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    The benefit of the Redding, Forster, or Vickerman dies is the "in-line seating" of bullets, critical to concentricity and therefore accuracy. RCBS also sells Comp. in-line bullet seaters with micro. adj......For my most accurate cast bullet shooting all reloading for all calibers use these types of dies/sets on my Co-ax press. I also like the bushing dies which allows you to expand necks to diff. dias. with no expander ball defeating your efforts. Your mileage may vary!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The benefit of the Redding, Forster, or Vickerman dies is the "in-line seating" of bullets, critical to concentricity and therefore accuracy. RCBS also sells Comp. in-line bullet seaters with micro. adj......For my most accurate cast bullet shooting all reloading for all calibers use these types of dies/sets on my Co-ax press. I also like the bushing dies which allows you to expand necks to diff. dias. with no expander ball defeating your efforts. Your mileage may vary!!
    Same method and setup I use for all my long range ammo except I have never used Vickerman dies. http://www.vickermandies.com/

I would also recommend getting a RCBS case mic http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/574...308-winchester

Boolit Mold
    I personally have the Redding Type S Match Bushing 3 piece die set, Redding part number 38155... set includes Type S Bushing Neck Sizing Die, Body Die and Competition Seater Die which has the micrometer for fine tuning seating depth... I also turn my necks so using one bushing gives me very consistent neck tension. It's a very nice set indeed.

Boolit Master
    I use the Redding Type S Match Bushing 3 piece die set for .308 and .22-250 and Sinclair neck turning tools. I can get under 1/2" MOA with this setup.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I dare to be different. I don't like bushing dies for use in a factory chamber or with unturned case necks. I recommend a die set with a standard full length sizer and a competition style straight line seating die. The micrometer top is nice but is not necessary and adds to the cost. Forster, RCBS, Redding and Whidden all offer these. Then buy a few hundred Lapua or Norma cases, some Sierra Match King or Berger bullets and some 4064 or Varget powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I guess I dare to be different. I don't like bushing dies for use in a factory chamber or with unturned case necks. I recommend a die set with a standard full length sizer and a competition style straight line seating die. The micrometer top is nice but is not necessary and adds to the cost. Forster, RCBS, Redding and Whidden all offer these. Then buy a few hundred Lapua or Norma cases, some Sierra Match King or Berger bullets and some 4064 or Varget powder.
    Pretty much as I do things, except I have the Wilson in-line seating die. Then I follow that with a quick check on the concentricity gauge. Very seldom do I have to tweak the finished product because the Wilson is a fantastic die.

Boolit Master

All depends on how much time you want to spend reloading and how much money you have to spend. You can never go wrong with Wilson hand dies and an Arbor press such as those made by Sinclair, Harrell etc - lots of benchrest shooters use them and reload after each relay.

You really need to start out with good brass such as Laupa and go from there - not all rifles can shoot sub MOA groups with match grade ammo, not all riflemen can shoot consistent sub-moa groups with a sub moa rifle and match grade ammunition.

Boolit Master
    I use the Redding Type S Full Length Bushing Die, mostly so that I work the neck less for longer case life. It also allows for less resizing when using cast boolits of .310, .311 diameter. I do use the LEE Dies in most reloading. When seating bullets I often seat the bullet about half way then turn the give the case a half turn in the shellholder before completing the seating stroke, just because. (maybe straighter bullet seating?) For full-length sizing I always use a Redding Competition Shellhoder selected for the least amount of sizing for that rfile. I set the full-length die to bump the appropriate shellholder. (hoping to keep case head square with body) and minimize working of brass, both when resized and then when fired. The push-feed ejector on Savage should stabilize the case for the firing pin strike. Straight snug fitting (but not tight or binding) cartridges work best for most everything.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    "Sierra Matchking" "Berger".......what is that??

Boolit Master
    One unique service that Forster offers is that if you send in three fired cases and buy one or full length sizer dies that are Forster, they will hone the dies with the neck tension you want.

Another great company is
    http://www.warner-tool.com. They make great dies but they are 1-¼" dies which are no problem for me. I have single stages and a turret press that can handle these.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I have a pre-WW1 German Sporting rifle by H. Scherping in 7X57. Groove dia. is .289..std. loading dies would reduce fired cases undersize just to need expanding again..too much working of brass. I sprung for custom Redding bushing type dies. In my Hornet & .222 Rem. I use Redding bushing dies for neck sizing & seat with Wilson chamber type seaters with Sinclair micrometer tops.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    i use redding or wilson for all my bench rest shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

I went to the redding full length bushing dies years ago, Just after they came out. In 308 they made very accurate ammo didnt over work the necks ( proper bushing size allows cases to be sized correctly with out expanders. Te Seating die does a very good job of loading concentric and straight ammo. Otherwise an small arbor press and wilson stright line dies ( Perferable the bushing version again.I have used RCBS standard and match grade, Lyman, and a set of Lees in 7/8 14 dies and the reddings outperformed them all. In straightline dies the wilsons are very good and Neil Jones offers a custom die set made to 3 of your fired cases. I bellieve Warner also offers this service. I have used the wilsons and a custom straight line set I made. The straight line dies are slower but can be very precise. The drawnack is these dies are only as good as the press shellholders and accesories used with them.

The Lee Classic Cast press from what I read is a very good press? I'm sure there are better ones but this should work fine.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

There is a simple test to see if your single stage press is good or not…'Does it flex? No. Then it's a good press.
    "Yeah but…mine can hold a .50 cal!"…"So what…Mine doesn't flex."
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    The Lee Classic Cast press from what I read is a very good press? I'm sure there are better ones but this should work fine.
    Its the best Lee makes. I didn't care for it. It will handle dies up to 1-1/4".

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    My RCBS full length .308 die set has given me some phenomenal ammunition. I'm relatively new to reloading but I just use the inexpensive Lee trimmers (chucked in a cordless drill) and the RCBS beam scale that came in the kit.