Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: .338 Win Mag Deer Cast Bullet Load

Boolit Mold

.338 Win Mag Deer Cast Bullet Load

I am looking for a cast bullet and load for whitetail load to use in a .338 win that I fell into for cheap. The jacketed loads look ridiculous for deer. I have picked up a Lee .338 mold that could work but am wondering what anybody has tried. The case capacity seems to large and the neck seems a little shorter than I would like but, as they say, it is what it is. Any experience, thoughts, or comments would be really appreciated.

In Remembrance

Using the LEE boolet with an alloy of 50/50 +some tin then sized .338" and lube with a good lube (I used C. Red) load a case with 24 grains of 2400 (don`t need any filler) this makes a load of about 1800 FPS.Robert

A Speer 200 grain "J" bullet loaded with the same 24 grain load of 2400 gives about 2000 FPS for a decent deer load.Robert

I've collected all the goodies for a .338 Federal and not got the rifle rebored yet.
    Hoping someone posts hunting results for the .338 Winchester.

Boolit Master
    My 338 WM loves that Lee 220 with either 5744 (28 gr) or RE-7 (30.5 gr.). Since my rifle won't stabilize that boolit at velocities under 1650 fps., the 5744 load is about 1750 fps and the RE-7 load is about 1900. I consider that RE-7 load more than adequate for our local elk out to 150 yards. I have found the 5744 load is iron sight accurate out to 300 yards and beyond when my old eyes are having a good day. No filler is required with either.

Boolit Master

In the 1900's+ 50 the win 33 Win was a devastating deer and bear round. The moose were gone by then but today it would knock them as good as the deer and bear.

Boolit Master
    Light cast loads should work for deer. Factory 225 gr loads are definate lions,tigers and bears loads and would probably destroy 1/2 of a deer if shot. 30/06 needs pumpkins filled with water to make an impressive explosion. Rem 225 gr corlocs literally blow up unmodified pumpkins. I have been very reluctant to consider using my 338Win Mag with factory ammo on deer. Afraid there wouldn't be much venison left. Also have other guns that are more deer appropriate. Enjoy your new gun.

Boolit Master
    I've shot one deer with the Sierra 215 gr @ 2800 fps. Performance was perfect. Small hole in and a 1-1/2" hole out. No excessive damage.

Ive shot three deer and a coyote with the Lee boolit cast 50/50 at 1800 fps. Accuracy is great, recoil is substantialy lower and performance on game is identical to the jacketed load.
    24 gr of 2400 behind the Lee gets me 1800 fps. No filler.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

39 grains of 3031 behind the Lee 220 RNGC boolit (or Hornady 200 gr. FP coated) provided me with one hole groups @50.

Concerned with the RN boolits performance on game, I got the 200 grain RCBS FP mold. After someone here gave me their load data for 5744 and 4759 I was finally able to get decent group with the RCBS FP. Not as precise as the Lee RN, but certainly minute of WT.
    I do not have that load data handy for some reason, maybe they will chime in before I can find my info.

Had I not insisted on taking one more step this last season I could have given a report on performance of the RCBS 200 FN BOOLIT on game! Once one stalks within bow range they should stop and shoot not tell themselves, "Just one more step".
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-28-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Many years ago I watched some deer shot with a .338WM, and, honestly, if you use bullets on the heavy-for-caliber end of the spectrum and/or heavily constructed bullets, you're not going to see terrible meat damage.

I did see one shot in the neck at close range that had a 4" exit hole, but that shot hit bone. Needless to say the deer didn't go anywhere. Seriously, though, not to dissuade you from using cast, but with careful bullet selection, jacketed loads don't have to be meat destroyers.

Boolit Master
    One of the reasons I switched to cast in my 338 WM was that with jacketed, it became so expensive to shoot that it wasn't enjoyable anymore. With cast it suddenly became affordable to practice again at well under 30 cents a shot. The extra practice makes shot placement easier and better and cast lead is wonderfully effective on game at lower velocities.

Boolit Master

Good Cheer

You may be happy to hear that one of the loads listed as most accurate in an article way back when 338 Federal came out listed the same 39 grains of 3031 with cast. Velocity was close to what I get in the Rem Mag also.

May want to confirm that load data with something current.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-28-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the RCBS 200 FP with 30.0 AA5744 in a old Ruger 77. Its accurate, and kills deer just fine. Groups run 1" to 1.5" @ 100 yd. I am testing a new find, a 250gr Lyman 33889. It is a GC bore rider with a single GG, a crimp groove and a nice FP. When seated just shy of the rifling, the base of the bullet is even with the base of the neck. It is VERY accurate, I just haven't tested it on deer yet! I had never heard of this bullet until a NIB 4 cav mold appeared at a local gunshow. Anyone know anything about it? I does not appear in any of my Lyman references.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot truckloads of deer with the .338 Win mag over the years and you could eat right up to the bullet hole.Less meat damage than a 130gr .270 which I also endorse.Harold

Boolit Grand Master
    My 338 uses an accurate mould boolit @240gr fueled by 4759 @2000fps. Groups so tiny you wouldn't believe it.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    My 338 uses an accurate mould boolit @240gr fueled by 4759 @2000fps. Groups so tiny you wouldn't believe it.
    Could you expand a little concerning your load and distance shot and number of rounds for the tiny group?Robert