Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy saying hello!

Boolit Mold

New guy saying hello!

As the headline reads this is my first posting. I am just now for a old man getting into casting my own bullets, I figured I would hang around here and read and find out what I am getting into first. ( also need to buy all the stuff I will need). I am the father of 2 sons serving in Afghanistan as we speak. One is a sniper ( Gary)with the 101ST. Airborne that is doing force protection for MY youngest sons(Matt`s) National Guard unit in Orgun-E Afghanistan, so I am glad they get to see each other and spend time together while there. I am a Tool and Die Maker by trade and have many years of experience in the art of machine tool running of lathes mills ect. So hello to each and everyone here and I hope to be a good contributer to the forum.

Lou

Duce, Welcome aboard

Tell your boys Thanks from all of us here.

Read some of the Stickies and check out the posts, a wealth of Knowledge and BS available here.

Pull up a stump and join the campfire.

TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Master

Welcome Duce!

You certainly came to right place to get lots of cast boolit know-how. I'm learning & re-learning nearly every day. Your T&D making experience will be most welcome too, I'm sure. There's tons of good info here. I would caution you on one thing....don't go to "Group Buys" or "Swappin & selling" unless you have either A) Strong willpower or B) Plenty of spare change, cause you'll find lots of stuff you just know you can't get along without.

Best wishes for your sons' safe return...my son did two tours in Iraq, so I know some of your concerns.

Come check out the chat room some evening. Lots of good guys, info, humor etc.

Cheers
    Alchemist
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome aboard Duce!!!!
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to Cast Boolits Duce.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

Welcome and be PROUD of your boys. They are REAL americans!

In Remembrance

Duce: welcome and my thanks to your sons for their service. My nephew is in afganistan with the US Navy. DALE

Boolit Master

Welcome and thank you for raising boys that are doing the right thing - and thank them for their service.

I, too, am an OLD newbie, and am continuously learning on this site. I think you might find yourself addicted to it - I know I am, visiting 2 or 3 times daily.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

jump in.. give advice and ask questions.
    and don't believe alchemist about the chat room.... nothing but B.S. and fun in there.
    swapping ,trading. pictures of guns, and getting to know a bunch of casters/shooters.
    going on there.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Duce,

Welcome aboard! First, thank your sons for picking up the slack we O.F. veterans left after leaving the service. It's appreciated.

Second, please purchase a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (suggested source: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000159837249 ) and give it a good read. It will give you the info you need to get started, basic tools and techniques, etc.

You'll find this forum a FINE place to discuss details once you get the basics out of the way. I've been at the business of casting boolits (mostly to save money on handgun shooting) for at least 35 years and I still have much to learn. Here's the place to get your Graduate degree and to get you over the hard spots while you're learning.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here. We're all willing to help the newcomers. The Lyman book, however, will definately get you pointed in the right direction to start.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Mold
    AZ-Stew thanks for the information and I will order the books, I have some practice with a fellow who showed me as a kid how to cast but its been years and I know that plenty of rust has settled in. And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome for me and my 2 sons. There fine young men and I hold my chest proudly out when there present. I have some casting stuff already, It pays to be a collector of junk for all these years. I probable have some molds that are no longer made around somewhere? I just am more lost when all the mold number casting than anything right now. I hate looking stuff up but looks like I better get use to it. When I was a kid I could just ask for a mold to cast for 30 caliber rifle and I would be handed a mold. Not now its by the numbers. I collect military surplus rifles in series so you know where and how my casting will go. I am more looking for molds and casting for the 7.62x25 Tok. right now I find it a joy to shoot and find stuff to shoot out the barrel is getting hard since I live in the country.

Boolit Grand Master
    Duce--

Welcome aboard, and MANY THANKS to your sons for their service to our country.

I'm a 7.62 x 25 reloader, with a Type 54 ChiCom Tokarev and CZ-52 so chambered. There's also a C-96 in 30 Mauser in the gun safe. I've loaded for these since 1989, so lemme know how I can help.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Hi Duce, glad you found us.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Mold
    9.3x62AL, lets see I have over 500 empty once fired cases in 7.62x25 that are talking to me every night in my dreams to get them fixed up! everything is ready for the bullets and when I find them on the internet, my butt puckers at the cost to purchase and ship.................

Boolit Master

Fisrst a big THANK YOU for your sons

service to our country.

Second a a big welcome. I think there are a lot of folks here who can and will assist you to be a great cast boolit shooter.

Some of your toll & die knowledge may well come in handy also.

There are many good sources of cast boolit information right here on these pages and among those here on line, but a web search for "Glen Fryxell" and "Paco Kelly"will take you to sites with many article written by them on cast boolits.
    If you follow them and some more information in Cast Pics here, then you will shorten your learning curve.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks RCLouis I have already found there web sites thanks to you and going to start my research.

Welcome Duce, crack a tinny and enjoy the wisdom imparted from these posts.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Welcome to the forum Duce , we have talked before on ammo brass trader glad your here , I am new to casting also and you can learn a lot here

copdills

Boolit Buddy

A very big thanks to your sons for their service. Welcome --sit back and enjoy the board.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Mold
    Hey copdills glad to see ya! at least now I am not alone? hahahaha