Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT 2008, Repeat, 2008

Moderator Emeritus

It was a great time. In the 100 yd score Curmudgeon and his son Jeremy tied and had a shoot off. Curmudgeon shoots first and hits an 8 [first one off of the black looses] so Jeremy matches his 8. 2nd shot Curmudgeon misses the lack so Jeremy hit the X ring. We really teased Jeremy about leading Curmudgeon on.
    I shot OK the first day and lead in both pistol events Saturday. Then I learned that pistol group could be done off of a rest not standing but had a flier, I believe Ammohead won the group and my score held through. No idea on the 50 yard irons.
    It was a great location, good food at the BBQ, and restaurants, and good to see friends once again.
    There were a few new shooters, Cobb MT Mac's son Darren attended, 7&*'s son straffed gophers while we shot and I am not sure if Richard had been here before or not. All were welcomed.
    The pistol teams ended up with MT Gianni, Ammohead, NV Walt, Richard and Al, on one team and Mac, Onceabull, Darren, Jeremy, and Curmudgeon on the other team. We[the odd bunch] were Keith desciples and the 44 Mag was the smallest caliber shot. [I did switch to the Thompson 429244 half way through but kept silent aboout it. There were a lot of 357/38's shooters on the other team and the oddballs stake fell in record time. No rifle event as the clay pigeon holders came up missing.
    Thanks again Bruce for the work and all else you have done. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek

Winners Only

The title is because there are only winners at the NCBS because everybody has a great time.

Iron sight rifle group 50 yd. Ammohead 1.21"
    Iron sight rifle score 50 yd. Jaremy 48-2X
    Scoped rifle group 100 yd. 9.3X62 Al 1.511"
    Scoped rifle score 100 yd. Jaremy/NVcurmudgeon tied at 39. Jaremy won the shootoff 2-1.
    Scoped pistol group 50 yd. Ammohead 1.288"
    Iron sight pistol group 25 yd. NVWalt 1.048"
    Iron sight pistol score 25 yd. MTGianni 46
    Long range rifle score 417 yd. Ammohead 4 hits in 5 shots

A magnificent trophy was presented to NVcurmudgeon in apreciation for providing Golden
    Wheel Weight awards. Thanks to all. I was astounded and had a little trouble responding.

Besides the usual suspects attending, friends of long standing, MTGianni and Holly appeared after too long a hiatus, as well as as first timers Darren Mac and Richard. Special thanks to NVWalt for bringing Jane, after finding out last year that we aren't too rough a bunch.

As always, we are all indebted to BruceB and KarenB for arranging the best venue yet, at Dan's ranch. The Bs also put on a lavish dinner at their home, furnished a trailer full of target materials,
    and once again arranged for rent-free use of tables and chairs from Brown's True Value Hardware.

How many days until next May?
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Banned

I'm such a loser...

Pictures will be coming

Hello to all,

On behalf of my son Darren and me, I want to also thank BruceB and Karen B for the wonderful venue, it was a beautiful and very special place. Also thank you for your continued hard work and great bar-b-que and delicious deserts!

Thank you URNY, for the lunch each day, they were just wonderful!

It did not suprise me, but I must thank you all for making my son Darren feel so welcome. He mentioned this several times during our 6 hour trip to his home. All the while, he was formulating his plan for much more practice and for tweaking his guns, knowing he will do better next year. I explaind he did very well, as all those that did not take home a trophy, only missing by a few thousands to maybe a quarter of an inch.

It was also nice to meet those that had attended before that I had not met, MT Gianni and the lovely Holly, as well as the other first timmers, NVWalts, lovely wife to be... Jane, also not so lovely but a great guy, Richard.

The event pictures and winner pictures that I took probably will not be ready for a couple of weeks due to the fact, I am proud to say, that the lovely Marlene and I have been Married 50 years this past March. We made the decisson to take a great trip and opted to wait for better weather, leaving soon after my return from NCBS. We will be spending a week in the Mt Shasta area. We are leaving Fri. am. so with other duties the pics will come after we return.
    Last edited by cobbmtmac; 06-04-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Grand Master
    Nah, after the Flake Flux idea--yer no loser. That stuff ROCKS.

The 9.3 x 62 rifle pulled my chestnuts out of the fire, for sure. Not a week earlier, the 243 fired ten 5-shot groups at 100 yards spanning 1.1"-1.4". Naturally, it chose a day where performance mattered to go poetic on me. Small calibers and cast boolits get moody, I guess.

The 9.3 is just a steady, ready cast performer. It can be relied upon to put up 1.25"-1.5" groups at 100 yards pretty routinely. Considering the size range of game to be sought with that caliber, that sort of work is better than it needs to be. It is as good or better with j-words it likes. It does have "steak and lobster" tastes for the redcoats, though--rejecting the Speers and enjoying the Noslers.

A little fact needs interjecting here........Bill and Jaremy determined that my group size with the 9.3 was .004" smaller than Bill's group. They can clearly see a LOT better than I can to make that sort of call. If Bill and I didn't tie for the outcome, I sure couldn't have discerned a difference.

Plain enough--looking at the results posted by Bill, there is some mighty good shooting going on in an atmosphere of friendly companionship and conversation during NCBS. To say I enjoyed myself would understate the case greatly.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    NCBS '08 is written large, yet another reminder for me as to how fortunate for me to troll into these guys on the old "Shooter's" board during '01.. Got my nerves under control in time for the '02 shooting and have'nt missed since..still have some equipment waiting for final clean up, doubt it will all be done before the annual Henry's Lake flyfishings excursion.(Leave Tuesday next,and still some prep.to do). Needed all the space in milady's new wheels to get lease payments home,as several seemed to be competing for " leasee of the year " .. Quality counts too, and this crowds work gives me good cause not to have to exhibit what I've been calling "Good enuff"... BruceB. got us a range suitable for a grand S.S.picnic and concert in addition to the real purpose...If I'd brought my short range rod, I'd been able to test old reflexes on some trout, I think...I'm not talking about ANY of the temptations encountered firearmswise,as there were so many that I could err by omission of someone's personal best...Great to see Mt.Gianni and Holly again,and meet Richard..THANK YOU TO OUR HOSTS... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The 9.3 x 62 rifle pulled my chestnuts out of the fire, for sure.
    A little fact needs interjecting here........Bill and Jaremy determined that my group size with the 9.3 was .004" smaller than Bill's group. They can clearly see a LOT better than I can to make that sort of call. If Bill and I didn't tie for the outcome, I sure couldn't have discerned a difference.
    Al, medium bore hunting rifles forever! My "bunduki mkubwa," .35 Whelen, won the same event last year in Jaremy's capable hands and came within a hair's breadth this time. I am blessed in that the .35 has a democratic taste in FLGC bullets, frequently putting three Nosler Partitions or three Speer Hot Cors into one inch, or even one hole at 100 yd.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Moderator Emeritus

a few pics thanks to Holly

How many shooters does it take to set up targets?

Da line

winning stake shoot team

2nd place stake shooters team

Banned

OK- Who's who?

Looks like maybe NV Bill at the fore front. Also, looks like maybe Al with his head down.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    OK- Who's who?

Looks like maybe NV Bill at the fore front. Also, looks like maybe Al with his head down.
    Correct on NVBill, my stepson Jaremy with the red shirt, I Dunno in black hat, Urny in white cap, I Dunno's cousin in straw hat, MT Gianni with red hatband, maybe Al in blue cap. Sorry, I can't do better, I can remember 1942 completely, but recent stuff is questionable.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

I dunno's cousin

--with straw hat on urny's left..THAT'S ME....Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Moderator Emeritus

In "Da Line" 7 & 8's son and he, Richard in the safari hat, NVWalt with his head down and I'm in the red tee. In the winning stake team L to R: Ammohead, NvWalt, Richard, Al head down and My Redhawk. 2nd place team:Curmudgeon/Bill, his son Jaremy, Mac's son Darren, Urney and Onceabulls hat. Then on to Gianni, Al, and it looks like Walt's Blackhawk. Top photo shows the great location as wellas the backs of Gianni, Mac, Bill, Jaremy and Darren. I think I can see Richards hat facing us. G.

Boolit Mold
    Finally found some time to check in.

I didn't think I was going to go (I being Richard, ventnburn not being a very personable handle when shouted loudly in restaurants at long time shooters), found out on Thursday my weekend was free so I gathered up what little I had laying around and went.

Even significantly outclassed, undergunned, and woefully unprepared, this was as much fun as a person could have and still keep their cloths on, actually hated to see Sunday end. Thank you BruceB and KarenB for going to the lengths you did to make sure we had a bit of paradise to shoot in and hosting the Saturday dinner. The landowner and our host Danny will be receiving a thank you note as soon as I can find an address.

This group was there to have a good time, shoot, visit, eat, shoot, socialize, shoot, trade, eat, and did I note shoot. They were more than willing to let me stick around and send j-bullets down range at the rats after I got rid of what few real bullets I had loaded up. Did have enough 45acp for the stake cutting (Western Family's Hot Cocoa cans holds exactly 200 45acp rounds and that one on the table was full of lyman's 225gr round nose, don't even know how many were hammered downrange but it was a lot lighter going back to the truck).

Hopefully next year I will be in a better situation (just moved here to Winnemucca, my shooting stuff just got here the Wednesday before the shoot, everything is a mess) to both compete in the events and help out more with setting up and running this thing (there were 7 of us down range setting target boards because we have to help, its just our nature).

Now I have a year to get both the 6.5 swede and the '03 Springfield up and running with cast, along with fine tuning the 35 Whelen and finding a decent Sharps in a 45xsomethingreallybig (I have wanted one for a number of years anyway).

And I hope to see everyone from this shoot plus more in 2009, this is just too much of a good thing to miss.

In Remembrance

Ventnburn, thanks for being a worthy reenforcement to NCBS. (I envy your being able to WALK to the Rools Committy meeting.) I see you are bringing a Springfield next year, we all seem to have at least one. Looking forward to comparing notes with you on 6.5 X 55 loads. If all goes well my .260 Remington will put in an appearance, the .260 being a naturalized 6.5 X 55.

Banned

Maybe medical science and the enviromentalists have it all wrong? ...

The use of lead may actually improve brain funtion, as shown here in the photos- you cast bootlit shooters very much look like an intellegent group of folks..

Moderator Emeritus

Ventnburn, Sorry I forgot your handle, hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. G.

What a great time once again amongst good people and wonderful company. The usual thanks to Mr. and Mrs. B for all they do and with Bruce feeling a bit under the weather, enough thanks can't be said.
    I brought my soon to be wife with me and what a can of worms she opened up for me. She has a few rifles of her own and next year I guess I will be loading up even more "stuff".
    It was also a pleasure to meat Al, Richard ,John and Holley and too many to really mention.
    The range was a true sight to behold and beautiful.
    Tested my coyote rifle , 17 Rem, on a few squeaks and it seemed to splat them pretty well.
    Dinner and the awards were great as usual and the spread that Bruce and Karen put on Saturday night was way good eats.
    All you out there that can somehow make it to next years event come **** or high water should attend. If nothing else just to attend this galla gathering of the clan....Jane and I sure plan on going to next years event for the commradery alone.
    Good shooting,
    Walt and Jane

Boolit Mold
    Actually my 35 Whelen is built on a Springfield '03, The original barrel was bored and rifled by a backyard 'smith on the Camas Prairie in North Central Idaho who, the story goes, always checked the alignment of the moon and stars before working on a gun. Got it cheap in Spokane because I wanted a 35 cal rifle.

And NVWalt splatted squeaks really, really well at over 400 yards (lasered, not guessing). And he is either going to have to get a bigger truck or leave some steel targets at home if he tries to bring any thing more, he had gun cases tied to the top of the load as it was.

But that steel saw some pretty serious shooting during the weekend, appreciate him bringing it along.

Moderator Emeritus

Mac, The CD and framed Photo's arrived today. You outdid yourself Pal. I hope that the anniversary party went as well as this shoot did. Thanks again, Gianni.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range Fleataxi's Avatar
    Guys: Anyone who wants to come to Elko, NV in September for a small organized shoot at the Elko County Shooting Range, please let me know.

We've got a 300-yard 12-space covered rifle range with steel benches, numerous pistol revetments to shoot steel with pistols, and a 1,000 yard 2-place rifle range.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the dates. Some of us will actually be shooting cast boolits, but the shoot is open to all standard projectiles. It's not a contest, but a friendly get-together.

Fleataxi
    1911 Neanderthals - Converting One Caveman at a Time

Cast Boolits - Fodder for John Moses Browning's best gun since 1911!

Graduate - Wiley E Coyote School of Gunsmithing