Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interarms Mark X Mauser

Boolit Buddy

Interarms Mark X Mauser

Anyone familiar with or own an Interarms Mark X? I found one in 7 x 57 at a local show. It had double set triggers and appeared to be nearly unfired. Price $550 before making any kind of deal. The price doesn't bother me, but on some sites I read that they are not accurate. I'm a REAL accuracy freak (either they shoot extremely well or they hit the road) ! What can you tell me.

Ive got one on 30-06. Haven't shot it terribly much but its plenty accurate. My only gripe with it is the trigger and it sounds like the one you're looking at has had trigger work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back in the 80's I had one, standard rifle configuration in 7mm Mauser. It shot well enough to go after groundhogs on occasion. I thought it a bit heavy for a 7mm though.

The Interarms Mark X is basically an up-dated commercial Mauser 98, the time-tested Gold Standard to make sporting & target rifles for over 100years - and for which there are multiple tried & trued methods to improve any that might exhibit errant accuracy issues (google).

A 7x57 specimen is well worth the $550 asking price, today - provided the condition (when compared to "new") supports the cost.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had one and really liked it. For some reason, it didn't shoot all that well from the bench, but was great off hand. Mine liked 160 gr. bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I've got one in .300 Magnum. Bought as barreled action, put it in Brown's Fibreglas stock. Very Accurate.

I had one in 7 mm Rem Mag; it did not shoot great (1-1/2 to 1-3/4" at 100 yds) however it was pretty consistent. I bought as a magnum bolt face donor rifle so did not really try to get it to shoot, but did shoot 200 round through it. I re-barreled to a heavy bbl in 257 Mag it and put it in a McMillian McHale stock and made a long range varmint rifle out of it.

I have a Mini Mauser in 223 it is surprisingly accurate bought it new in about 1988 / 89'.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I had an old (late 80s / early 90s?) 3006 which came with a very noisy RamLine stock. It shot three shots touching and opened up with the next to to about 1 1/4". It had an extremely light barrel, so I reckon that was good to go. I never bothered bedding it of fiddling about with it.

They currently sold as Zastava M70 rifles. My mate owns a big gunshop and has visited the factory several times. He told me that the machinery there was confiscated from the MAuser factory after WW1 and the barrels were cut rifling (I think they are hammer forged now, but yours would be an older on with cut rifling I imagine).

I have bought a few recently, a 270Win, a 9.3x62 Mauser a 375H&H and a 458Win Mag. I haven't fired the 9.3 yet, but the others are ok.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance

Back in the `70`s I got 1 of the original shipment to the US of them for $119.00. It was in 7 Rem. Mag. I rebedded it, worked on the trigger and polished the action. With a Leupold 2x-7x scope and Speer 145 gr. `J` bullet handloads it would print a 5 shot 3/4" clover leaf at 200 yds regularly. Took an Wy antelope at 310 yds. with this rifle and loads so it can shoot. Myself, I would get that 7x57 Mark X in a heartbeat!Robert

I have a Mark X in 7x57 Mauser and love it..it's dead accurate and I really enjoy it...I neck size with Lee Collet dies and the brass lasts a long time...Mine is one of the ones from Manchester England..got a 3x9 Nikon scope..I don't hunt..just shoot for fun but I hear the 7mm is a dandy for hunting....I contacted Speer about bullet/powder combinations and what work up's they had done...the guy there was super helpful and said their 160 grain boat tail (or flat base..either one) with IMR 4350 was a really accurate load...the max is something like 45 grains and he said that was really accurate...I loaded up a ladder starting at 41 grains and found that the lower end of the ladder was where my rifle is best...

Have it head space checked to make sure it's all as it should be...some of them were loaded hot with light weight bullets for small game and predators and I've heard of some issues...

Banned

had a 243 and it was a tack driver. Still have a mark x barreled action in a custom stock in 2506 that will shoot the eyes out of a knat!

I have two Mark X Mausers that were made in Yugoslavia and imported by Interarms. The 25-06 is a consistent 1/2 -3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with my handload. The 300 win. mag. groups are 1 inch with my handload. The 25-06 has taken around 50 deer and antelope over the 25 years I have had it at ranges of 70 yards to over 500 yards.

It just occured to me that a lot of MkX Actions were built into long range target rifles and were very competitive until the Barnards and other fancy rifle got approved for use.

My 270Win M70;

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    You got yourself a great rifle at a great price! Enjoy.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have an 06 with the Mannlicher stock. It shoots great. My only gripe is that the bolt tends to bind. Anyone know any fixes for this?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    In the 90's I got a Mark X in 243. Put it in a Bell & Carson stock, injection molded plastic in case I'm remembering wrong. It's a consistent 1.5" at a 100 yds. Not outstanding but minute of whitetail. The barrel does foul like crazy. I'm thinking cal. as a cause rather than barrel as most of the fouling seems to be carbon. Been playing with the idea for years of putting a 257AI barrel on it and dropping it into a descent stock just to see what happens. Same old excuse, time and money.

Boolit Master

Have or have had these grand rifles in 270, 7x57, 308, and 30-06. All have been dependable and more accurate than me.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that I bought as a barreled action back in the 1900's in 458 Win Mag. Bought and bedded it to a off brand walnut stock and topped it with a little Leupold 1-4x. It shot very well, as I remember, but was punishing, due to it's lightweight nature. It's in my BFF's safe until one of us needs it for a bear hunt. I had no complaints with anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I have an 06 with the Mannlicher stock. It shoots great. My only gripe is that the bolt tends to bind. Anyone know any fixes for this?
    One of the reasons they are so cheap is that they don't enjoy the level of finishing that an expensive rifle enjoys.

Polishing compound, emery paper and lots of elbow grease will get it right and as smooth as an old school Mauser. Brownells put out a tool to hold emery paper for polishing the rails, but you may be better paying a smith to do this as the tool isn't cheap. But if you own several bolt rifles, it may be worth buying. I have been humming and haaaring about getting one of these for years.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod395.aspx

By the way, not too much polishing on the final closing of the bolt or headspace will be affected. Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs, but I had to mention it in case.

Boolit Bub
    I would buy the 7X57.

I have owned a Mark X in 243, and still own a 30/06 and 7x57. Love them.

The .243 after bedding and a trigger job put most loads into 3/4". I regret parting with that.

The 30/06 makes 1" groups with about anything at 100 yards.

My 7X57 love 154 grain Hornady and a healthy does of IMR 4350. It cuts 3/4" groups.

I think these are best buys!