Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gary Reeder custom

Banned

Proof is shooting not looks or feel when you hand your gun to a friend and tell the price.
    I shot too many Ruger's to 1/2" at 50 yards and shot pop cans at 200 yards to think many thousands would make the gun better. Every S&W 29 would do 1/2" at 50 meters for me.
    Something to be said for custom but it is how you feel and defend the money spent.
    I think to defend the money spent is the worst to consider. But if you are rich, buy it but to assume it will shoot better then a Ruger or BFR, I have bad news for you.
    The BFR has been the best and only gun finish that looks like a Ruger instead of a Freedom is the problem but I will out shoot every Freedom ever made.
    It comes down to BLING and money thrown away.
    I am a nut and have shot to 1/2" at 100 yards so if a gun is pretty at 5X the cost and does not shoot 1/4" at 100 what do you have? With the amount of money I expect 1/4" at 100.
    I shot too many custom guns that only did what factory guns do.
    I built many custom rifles with BLING but I made them shoot unreal groups at the same time.
    What do you do to improve a revolver other then sights or finish?
    SBH with over 80,000 rounds at 200 yards. Attachment 165778 1-5/16"
    I really need to see what $3,800 does. Can a safe Queen SHOOT?

Boolit Master
    I only have experience with 2 F/A's, both of which I own, so my samples are limited. My 4.75" .475 F/A was pretty close to perfect out of the box. The trigger wasn't so great, about 4#. Crisp, but 4# is way too heavy. An easy fix, as the sears are cut nicely, and you just tweak the return spring. 2# is much nicer now I wish the bore was smoother, but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy much. The second F/A was a .357 mag model 353 I picked up used for $750. The throats were smaller than the bore, so Dougguy fixed that for $35. The .475 kicks like a mule with 440 grain boolits at 1,340 fps. but will tuck 5 into 1.5" at 50 yards on average. My best was 5 in .8" at 50 yds. This is iron sights, no Hubbel telescope aboard. Not as good as some can shoot, but seems to impress most guys I run into.

The .357 F/A is an obnoxiously long contraption that would surely suit .44man. It is basically useless to me as anything other than a range toy. The goofy long barrel does make it easy to shoot, and in the limited use it has seen, I can get a cylinder in 1" at 50 yards on a semi-regular basis with iron sights.

The 1 BFR I dealt with is a 6.5" .475 Linebaugh. It was about the same new as I paid for the used F/A .357 The BFR's are a good deal, and this one shoots very well, and seems to recoil less than my 4.75" F/A. It had a god awful trigger, which was expected as it is basically a big Ruger Blackhawk. Luckily the triggers are easy and basically free to fix, so now this one has a 2# trigger too. The sights are the cheesy cheap Ruger rear, functional but sloppy and cheap. The front sight is less than Ruger quality, as Ruger at least uses steel, not aluminum. That can be replaced too. The grips are some kind of plastic on the BFR, I won't call them rubber as that is an insult to rubber. Tap on them and see what I mean. Oh, well, grips aren't too hard to make. The fit of the grip frame on this one would make Ray Charles hang his head. No big deal, a file and some sandpaper fixes that. It's a good thing they are stainless. Other than that, the only gripe I have is the Torx head bolts they assemble stuff with. Magnum Research should get a Brownells catalog, they sell GUN screws there, not the stuff I use to put decks down with. They might even sell them the right length, so you have more than 1 thread holding the grip frame on.

Spend your money where you will, I haven't found mine wasted on F/A yet.

Banned

Maybe the best deal today is the Ruger Hunter in .44 but don't stick a Bisley in my face.
    BFR's do not have Torx, but Allen heads and I have complained to them about the short front grip frame screw. I think they fixed them.
    Grips on the BFR's are Uncle Mikes and work. They are as close to Pachmeyer as you can get.
    Freedom has a close to Bisley and it will beat you bloody unless you get the rubber grips from them. But I hear they are no longer made.
    Many hate rubber but it still is BLING not shooting. Does elephant grips shoot better?
    The custom thing is a puffed chest rich man thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Maybe the best deal today is the Ruger Hunter in .44 but don't stick a Bisley in my face.
    BFR's do not have Torx, but Allen heads and I have complained to them about the short front grip frame screw. I think they fixed them.
    Grips on the BFR's are Uncle Mikes and work. They are as close to Pachmeyer as you can get.
    Freedom has a close to Bisley and it will beat you bloody unless you get the rubber grips from them. But I hear they are no longer made.
    Many hate rubber but it still is BLING not shooting. Does elephant grips shoot better?
    The custom thing is a puffed chest rich man thing.
    Lol, long ways from a rich man here. I eat plenty of Ramen noodles I'm a regular ole dumb carpenter.

Torx/Allen/Cheesy. All the same to me. The length thing on the screws/bolts was a dumb mistake but fixable. Preventable too. Uncle Mikes are not Pachmayers. I don't like Pachmayrs either, but they don't sound like the plastic stuff BFR sticks on their guns. They both do fit like **** though.

I know you hate F/A, and through years of railing on them, most of the world knows that you do. All I am saying is that for a crappy handgun shot like me, I sure can't see where BFR's outshoot F/A's, and are fitted much worse, and have some lower quality features in comparison. They SHOULD, they cost a lot less.

I'm not a snob, some of my favorite guns I paid less than $200 for. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy owning some finely fitted and finished guns either. If F/A's really shot as bad as you say, I'd jump on board with you in bashing them for the money they charge. Mine shoot very, very well. If a BFR in a configuration I liked comes along for the right price, it will come home too. For $1,000 they can keep them.
    Last edited by dubber123; 04-09-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Banned

I never owned a freedom but many friends did and a few still do. Fit so tight the bullets wore the throats out of round and ate the forcing cone and rifling away on one side. .357 with .357 throats and .3599 grooves. Out of round barrels too. One with a hammer block, other with a transfer bar, push the hammer to see the pin come out so you can't have a round under the hammer.
    They are the most complicated guns made with parts that fail. $100 to make a lighter trigger plus postage both ways when a spring change can be done but it is a strange spring. Take one apart once. The finish and super tight fit does not make a shooter. Some custom makers will not work a Freedom. They want a Ruger.
    Over 200 different loads in a Feedom .357 led to nothing. He put it on consignment and could not sell it. Lost thousands at the end.
    Freedom came on big time at IHMSA because of better sights but I beat them all with a Ruger,
    Hold the gun and admire it but then shoot it.

Boolit Master
    My .357 F/A had smaller throats than the bore, which was oval, (not uncommon on any brand). Dougguy reamed the throats, ($35), and I can get 1" 50 yd. iron sight groups at 50 yds. I am not a world class shooter, don't claim to be, never will. This load is a 220 grain 9 BHN boolit at close to 1,500 fps. Would harder boolits shoot better, probably, maybe, I don't know. Anyone who claims 1" with irons at 50 is poor accuracy is a much, much better man than me.

Boolit Bub
    I never owned a freedom
    Freedom came on big time at IHMSA because of better sights but I beat them all with a Ruger,
    You're ability to highjack a thread with irrelevant, hateful spewing of opinions is the stuff of internet legend.

If you are a fan of real life data, maybe you should check out the results from the IHMSA World Championship. Not a single Ruger even competing in revolver class. Not even a 44 mag hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Seancass View Post
    You're ability to highjack a thread with irrelevant, hateful spewing of opinions is the stuff of internet legend.

If you are a fan of real life data, maybe you should check out the results from the IHMSA World Championship. Not a single Ruger even competing in revolver class. Not even a 44 mag hunter.
    You know Sean, 44man is entitled to his opinions and his posts just as you are. There really is no need for all that stuff of your. You are over the top and out of line. You are not required to agree, but a little civility goes a long way. On this site we can "ignore" another member. I would suggest you use it if somebody irritate you so bad, you have to be so snotty. I have found plenty to disagree with 44man over the years, but he is a member here, just like you and entitled to the same courtesy and respect as you. Courtesy and respect, does not mean agreement.

The detached and long distance nature of the internet has resulted in a culture of rudeness. Things are said here that in days gone by would result in pistols at dawn on the field of honor.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-10-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Oh, I don't suspect 44man will get too offended by my opinion! He certainly knows his stuff! But would it kill us to stay on the subject of Reeder and his guns and not whether or not the BFR is the best thing ever?

And you're right, the internet can make anyone or any statement seem rude when the reader wants to be offended by it.

Boolit Master
    I contributed to the thread drift with the BFR/F/A peeing match. Sorry for that. Keeping on topic, I wouldn't spend what most custom makers ask for their wares. A lot of them are merely barrel/cylinder swaps. You get stock Ruger grips, and stock Ruger sights. That might be worth an extra $1,000 if I really wanted a specific caliber, but 3-4 grand or more? Nope, not me.

Banned

Oh, I don't suspect 44man will get too offended by my opinion! He certainly knows his stuff! But would it kill us to stay on the subject of Reeder and his guns and not whether or not the BFR is the best thing ever?

And you're right, the internet can make anyone or any statement seem rude when the reader wants to be offended by it.
    I am never offended and nothing is personal. it is only what you desire and like. But I have been a gunsmith forever and see things to post. Nothing but facts, no denigration intended.
    You can't go by FEEL or looks with anything. Seen some of the most beautiful guns made that will not shoot. I have shot a lot of Jacks guns with satisfaction and notice they have more cylinder play then factory.
    Can Gary make a good one, darn sure but in the end it comes down to cost. Can roll engraving or a high polish make a gun shoot? Can a super tight cylinder work?
    No Rugers? I won every shoot with mine, many 40's and Ohio state with 79 out of 80, lost the last ram from a shake. I was international production revolver class. I was international class with single shots too. Also .22 where I won state. Brand new Ruger Mark II out of box with no sight settings. 57 out of 60 and all shoot off chickens at 100 yards. Cheap stinking Wildcat ammo.
    You have to know IHMSA, you do not miss a single target or you are done. The 40 are a pain to get rid of, the winner is at the little shoot off targets at 200 meters. 50 meter chickens mostly. Shoot at a pencil dot with opens once. I never seen a custom at shoots because they fall into unlimited that competed with XP100's, etc.
    One shoot I had time to play and put up a cardboard chicken at 200 meters. Shot my 7R but had 2 shots left from my .44 so I took them.Attachment 165962Yeah, yeah. 3/4" at 200 meters. In the foot. I did not miss with the 7R either but beat it with the cheap Ruger.

Well, maybe you are right. Some folks don't seem to be offended by anything. Being a Texan of the old stripe, I don't understand that, but some folks are like that.

All I can say is that if you said that to me, face to face, we would have a real interpersonal problem, for it was rude and ill mannered.

Thread drift is a fact of life on this board, and can be expected to happen. If you are going to be your panties in a wad every time it happens, I don't predict a happy future for you here on this board.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Does anyone here remember the last time a significant Revolver silh.match saw a BFR or Ruger shooter finish in the top 10..??? Freedoms rule, with once or twice a year a DW... sure seems like someone with a established rep. could be offered enough to try competing with a BFR... ???? Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Bub
    Nothing but facts, no denigration intended.
    I liked that post.

I'd love to see more customs on the range, but simple fact is, most of us can't afford a full custom! Maybe the fancy gun don't shoot, or maybe it's just the guy that can afford it is not the same guy who knows how to shoot it!

Boolit Master

I liked that post.

I'd love to see more customs on the range, but simple fact is, most of us can't afford a full custom! Maybe the fancy gun don't shoot, or maybe it's just the guy that can afford it is not the same guy who knows how to shoot it!
    I resemble that remark!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    Hang on, there's a guy over there in the corner I haven't offended yet!

Banned

Have to watch gun weight so many BFR's are out. They are BIGGER. We always griped because of the poor Ruger sights that we could not change since Ruger did not offer better. They wore so I bought screws by the pack. Freedom's came with great sights.
    The only gun that never did good was the S&W 29. Accurate to 1/2" at 50 meters but set them down for target setters and the next shots would miss because of the grip hold, felt the same but POI could be 10" off at 50, add to 200 meters!
    Custom guns could NOT shoot production. Your Linebaugh or Reeder had to be shot in unlimited.
    Ruger's CAN win but most do not know how to make them shoot. Nobody EVER out shot my Ruger's because the loading bench is where it happens. I don't think a Ruger Hunter can make weight either. I don't know about a SRH either. I shot pop cans at 200 with them but can they be shot production? Rules are rules and my SBH would not be allowed in nationals because the trigger would kick forward. Solved with a longer transfer bar. But I could not take it to the nationals. A 1-1/2# trigger does not sit well.
    I made a walnut stock for my XP100 and had to take it to the post office in town to weigh. I had no good scale at the time, got funny looks but the lady weighed it for me. Ever take a gun into a post office?

Boolit Man
    The only BFR I owned was such a poor shooting piece of ****, I won't look at another ever again. I am glad someone out there has so much affinity for theirs, I wouldn't buy one to use as a jack handle. And to be honest, it wasn't cheap.

I have a love for Rugers, but my last 44 mag (Ruger Hunter) pissed me off so much I didn't buy another ruger until I bought a Precision Rifle a month or so ago. when I bought the Hunter new the barrel would unscrew, straight up, it would not stay tight. I've had so much great Ruger service, I sent it in, and it came back exactly the same. I couldn't believe my eyes. I took a bath getting rid of it, I told the truth to the buyer.

Now, as I get older, I keep only 3 boomers, I've sold the rest. A 4 3/4 FA, 6 1/2 FA that was my late fathers, and a 10 inch or some crazy thing. All of them cost in the $1000 dept, admittedly, a long time ago. Only the 10 in has glass. The shorty will make sub inch groups at 50 yards, if I can hold it. the 6.5 is the one I shoot the most, and at one time i had a scope on it and got sub inch at 100, without glass I don't worry about groups, but I can hit a silver dollar rock out well past 100 yards. The 10" I just haven't played with much, but goofing off I've gotten solid 1" at 100, 1.5" at 200, not great, but considering that gun I've shot less than 50 times, I don't think its a bad shooter. The scope is used from the mid 80's, lol.

My point is, I respect your opinion 44man, but every time I see someone suggest a Freedom Arms you **** all over it. Yet do you see me **** all over the BFR because of the one I got? Or Ruger because of the that one and the one they"fixed". I had an Anaconda that literally made ONE FOOT GROUPS lol from their custom shop. I love Colt, not going to **** on them. But the way you just foam at the mouth to bad mouth Freedom Arms is almost silly.

I could be wrong, I think you wrote, you don't know of any good Freedom Arms, or they can't shoot good groups, something to that affect. Again, I might be remembering wrong, I have three, all shoot fantastic, never have broken a single thing, and I only sent my Fathers back for some upgrades to make his even more special. If you said nothing to that affect, I apologize.

In my experience, my BFR was ****, and everyone I know that has one has been unimpressed, so they all must suck, right?
    Of course not.

For crying out loud, there are people who buy, Hi Points and think we all buy over priced junk. As far as I know, Hi Points work, and shoot fairly accurately, who am I to judge.

In conclusion, 44man, you got good info, you are a very knowledgable man. But, you sound like a broken record, if Freedom Arms is mentioned, here it comes. Not just on this forum either, I think you have spread your disdain on other forums? Constructive criticism, I hope you take it as I meant it to be, respectful.

Boolit Man
    For everyone info!
    I used NO PROFANITY!

Boolit Mold
    I used to own one of his African Hunters in .475 Linebough, this one was built on his own frame and not the Ruger frame. S/N 30. I had to sell it to fund another toy I wanted. I paid $2500.00 for it and sold it for an even $3000.00. If I remember right, he only built 50 of these African Hunter models using his own frame. I sure do wish I had kept it, but of course I wish that about every firearm I've ever sold or traded.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." ~ Thomas Jefferson. NRA Benefactor Life member and damn proud of it.