RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Dillon do I need?

Boolit Master

Which Dillon do I need?

I have decided to buy a Dillon, either Square deal or 550. The 550 can use my regular dies, which I have for everything I load for, some I don't, but 50 sets or so. I am mainly needing to use whichever one I buy, for loading pistol ammo, .38/357, 9mm. 45 colt and 44mag/44 special. Since I already have dies, the 550 seems like the sensible thing to do, would cost less to switch calibers, etc. I could sell my regular dies, and buy the Dillon turret set up to change, recouping part of the money that way. I am a accuracy nut, so rifle loading on a progressive does not seem feasible, since you would have to measure/trim rifle brass before loading. I usually load my rifle ammo, in 50 or 100ct lots.
    Also, what extra besides primer pickup tubes do I need to buy when getting a Dillon progressive, in one caliber to start with. Give me some feedback guys, never been steered wrong on this forum!

Boolit Grand Master

You are selling the 550 short if you believe that accurate rifle loading on the 550 is not feasible. The US Palma team, David Tubb and many others load their long range ammo on a 550. I prefer a full progressive so I run 650's and 1050's. Mostly I shoot NRA Long Range and prairie dogs. It may take a little tuning but a properly tuned Dillon progressive will equal the best single station presses.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-08-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Dillon 550 requires a 7/8 - 14 die with a relatively long thread length. I found some of my dies by makers other than Dillon did not have enough thread length to use the die lock ring, not all dies, but some. Your current dies may or may not work.

Boolit Buddy

Personally I'd choose the 550 over the Square deal, also have to concur with M-Tecs on the capabilities of the 550 for accurate rifle loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    The Dillon 550 requires a 7/8 - 14 die with a relatively long thread length. I found some of my dies by makers other than Dillon did not have enough thread length to use the die lock ring, not all dies, but some. Your current dies may or may not work.
    What I have found is the lock ring may need to go below the tool head instead of on top as it's normally done.
    Noli Me Tangere

Boolit Master

if you only wanted to load 1 pistol cartridge, the SDB would be a great choice. for what you want id go with the 550.

Boolit Master
    I don't have either, I have a 650 as I wanted to go fully progressive but in your shoes I would go with the 550. That is a legendary machine! You can load about anything you want on it and as you mentioned, can use your dies and can do rifle if you change your mind! The SDB is a nice little budget friendly machine but you are more limited in versatility. I recently picked up a kit off ebay that a guy makes to turn the 650 into a single stage. Pretty sure he makes them for the 550 also so the press can double as a monsterous single stage.

If you can spring for it, the 650 is a sweet, sweet machine! My only regret is not getting it sooner!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 04-09-2016 at 01:45 AM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Personally I'd choose the 550 over the Square deal, also have to concur with M-Tecs on the capabilities of the 550 for accurate rifle loads.

What I have found is the lock ring may need to go below the tool head instead of on top as it's normally done.
    Agree completely. I have owned them all. Get a 550

Boolit Master
    I agree the 550.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I agree the Dillon RL-300!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Forster and Redding dies all work with the 550B. The Lee dies are at the end of their threads but still work no problem.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I have 4 SDBs gathered over a 40 year period. I find them easy to work on and they do what I want. That being said I think, given your current dies the 550 or 650 would be a better choice.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Besides Lee what other die maker has short threads? I use Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Ch4D and RCBS in mine no problem.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I don't think much of anyone has ever regretted a 550 - unless they really wanted a 650.

Some setup's with Lee dies are short, I have gotten by with flipping the lock ring. Never thought of going under the die plate as mentioned above.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can afford the extra, get a 650 and you'll be set. I found one used and it was my first press. In case you can't afford the extra, by all means get a 550.

Banned
    Another vote for the 550.

I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on one and it is a solid machine. I actually prefer it over the 650.

Boolit Master
    I have an SDB, excellent machine but it has a few things to consider.

1. Dies for the SDB only fit the SDB. The only caliber choices come from Dillon, so you are limited to popular straight wall pistol rounds.

2. No case feeder, no bullet feeder available. Sure, I can do 300-400 rounds in an hour, but I can't maintain that pace. Neighbor has a decked out 650 and he can hold 400-500 until he runs out of components.

The SDB is a great machine, not sure I'd ever part with it. But if I had to do it again, I'd get a 650.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Get the 550, you will NEVER regret it!!! As far as accurate rounds go, a properly tuned 500 will do as well as a single stage press!
    I have both 550 and SDB's but for your needs, my recommendation is for a 550. Can always upgrade. Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased my first 450 when they came out. Same for the 550's ,however, when the 650 came out it was love at first sight. The 450 and the 550's went on the auction block. I don't regret getting the 550's but after the 650's came out I never want to go back to a 550.

I have dies made by Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and Lyman and they all work with the Dillon tool plates.

Boolit Master

Easy remedy to that problem is to place the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead.