MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxMCD ProductsTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/cons of neck-sizing methods?

Pros/cons of neck-sizing methods?

What's the difference in using a neck-sizing die like RCBS, a Lee collet die or just backing a full-length die out so it only sizes the neck or part of the neck?

Boolit Master

Any of the three methods will work, one thing to look for is reliable function in your firearm. Next thing would be accuracy, which method will produce an accurate load for your gun.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

If you back off on a full length die you will only partially size the neck. I have quit neck sizing except for my custom rifles that have tight neck chambers. With them, I also turn the case necks and use a bushing die. With factory rifles I have found little to no improvement with neck sizing. I've also not found any improvement in case life. It seems that the primer pocket gets loose or the case neck splits, so neck die or fl die does not make much difference.

1 vote for the Lee collet neck sizer

I personally like the Lee collet die for neck sizing.

I used to use neck sizers if I had them, or full length dies unscrewed a few turns if I didn't, and got very good results from both methods.After reading a few good reports about the Lee collet dies I went out on a limb and bought just a single collet die, I think it was for a .243, but I'm not sure now. Well, to cut a long story short I now have heaps of them, certainly when I buy a new rifle a collet die for that caliber is ordered on the same day.

Pro's would be;

* It's a pretty good way to 'help' keep everything straight, the de-capping pin centers in the flash-hole, and the mandrel is held straight from that point up.

* 'Working' the brass is minimized. I really, *really* like this aspect. Remove your expander and neck size a case and measure it, then expand it and remeasure... In some sets of dies it's easy to see (by the huge difference) where the split necks used to come from.

* A little known 'trick' for people who like Ackley improved cartridges, is that cheap and cheerful Lee collet dies can be used to neck size many, if not most of them!

Cons would be

* If you don't set them up right, they either don't work, or blow their own tops off... (I've never had either of these happen to me but have read about it so must include the warning.)

* Difficult for people living outside of the US to adjust neck tension. In the states if you want half a thou more grip you just post your mandrel off to Lee with $5, but in Australia you have to put it in your drill press and polish it down with emery paper.
    Last edited by Watermelon Wine; 04-07-2016 at 07:49 AM.

The difference is accuracy. For speed and easy to use, with full ajustment of neck sizing, bushing dies. Not all neck wall thickness is the same between brands of brass. The bushing make adjustments for this. The Lee collet die is good, so i am told, but many have problems getting it right Seem you need to put 25 lbs on the lever to get the neck tension to hold a bullet. Or custom mandrels are needed. http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...roduct-support Lee has all the answers to fix it.

This Lee die looks like a good way to size the necks so that they will not further swage a cast boolit down from its oversized and intended O.D. Looks like the belling of the case mouth will have to be dealt with next.
    Thanks for the tip.

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

Backing off a die only sizes the top part of the neck. You may find that advantageous, certainly if on a budget.

I have started to buy the bushing dies. I have read a report of a gentleman getting better accuracy from using an M die (not screwed down tight) with jacketed than just resized. Still, as mentioned above, I don't see the benefit of over necking down and then necking back up with little control over each diameter. Okay, and I just HATE the feel of the neck expander ball screeching as you neck up.

The bushings, especially the carbide one$, are very expen$ive but it is nice to be able to size/control neck tension to exactly what I want. With with checked cast boolits I have found it saves me a step and I just size and seat.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    Backing off a die only sizes the top part of the neck. You may find that advantageous, certainly if on a budget.

I have started to buy the bushing dies. I have read a report of a gentleman getting better accuracy from using an M die (not screwed down tight) with jacketed than just resized. Still, as mentioned above, I don't see the benefit of over necking down and then necking back up with little control over each diameter. Okay, and I just HATE the feel of the neck expander ball screeching as you neck up.

The bushings, especially the carbide one$, are very expen$ive but it is nice to be able to size/control neck tension to exactly what I want. With with checked cast boolits I have found it saves me a step and I just size and seat.
    Have you polished the expander mandrel, ball, to a mirror finish or tried using the powdered graphite to lube the inside of the necks to alleviate this 'screeching' business? This can also affect pushing/pulling the shoulder and changing dimensions.
    In the end, regardless of approach I want to see minimum run out of less than .005" so that is a problem for me too.

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Thanks. I'm not N sizing for accuracy. I do it for case life. I have a 7x57 collet that works fine. But it doesn't seem to do anything that screwing out the sizer doesn't do as well (and I don't have to buy a collet die!).

And I don't get the point of a neck sizing die--like RCBS--at all. Particularly because I neck size only as much of the neck as I have to, under the theory that the less sizing done the longer the case lasts.

note: I only shoot cast boolits at low to moderate loads in bolt action rifles. I usually FL size for levers.

Boolit Bub
    I like the Lee Collet Die.

You our can use a .308 Collet Die in conjunction w/ a wAsher Over a case seated in the shellholder to neck size 7.62 X 54R
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineLead View Post

You our can use a .308 Collet Die in conjunction w/ a wAsher Over a case seated in the shellholder to neck size 7.62 X 54R
    Good to know. I may see if a similar deal can be set up for other odd-ball cartridges I shoot--Argentine and .300 Sav.

Boolit Master
    For best accuracy, neck sizing should be best, interchangeable bushing neck sizing dies are best. This is of course if you are using reloads in the same chamber, you should also get longer case life and less trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Good to know. I may see if a similar deal can be set up for other odd-ball cartridges I shoot--Argentine and .300 Sav.
    With a lathe and ingenuity, it's all possible! I lopped off a .308 collet die to work on a .30BR, the big problem to solve was how to 'fix' it back to .308 improved dimensions!

Boolit Master

Collet die by anyone. Lee is the cheapest and works great

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineLead View Post

Little easier than the path I took. I bought Lee NS-collet die parts for .303 Brit and 7.5x55 Swiss and made my own dedicated 54R die since Lee does not produce one as a regular item! It did require turning a little length off the base of the collet itself but it turned out very nice in the end!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Vendor Sponsor

I use a Lee Collet Die for my .303 brass. it works great on these cases and doesn't work them hardly at all. On Rimmed Cases like .303 if you F/L size them you will only get 2-3 reloads as the shoulder gets blown forward with every shot. They separate right above the case web.

I was lucky and learned this here before I started wasting brass. I have not lost one yet, over both full power and cast loads.

I have a gun now chambered in .35-303 and I will probably buy another .303 die and pull the collet and open the hole up to whatever is appropriate and get a .358 Mandrel to go with it.

To make the cases I start with new .303 brass and run them into a .358 Win die part way to open the case mouth up with the expander. Then Load and Fire Form.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    If you use a FL die to partially size the short neck of a case with little taper like a .243 you will also size the body some. When you squash in the body a little it will push the shoulder forward and make the round difficult to chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Thanks. I'm not N sizing for accuracy. I do it for case life. I have a 7x57 collet that works fine. But it doesn't seem to do anything that screwing out the sizer doesn't do as well (and I don't have to buy a collet die!).

And I don't get the point of a neck sizing die--like RCBS--at all. Particularly because I neck size only as much of the neck as I have to, under the theory that the less sizing done the longer the case lasts.

note: I only shoot cast boolits at low to moderate loads in bolt action rifles. I usually FL size for levers.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    If you use a FL die to partially size the short neck of a case with little taper like a .243 you will also size the body some. When you squash in the body a little it will push the shoulder forward and make the round difficult to chamber.
    aha! That answers my question about neck sizing dies. Tnx.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee collet die with my Savage 340 30-30 because I'm lazy and it works great and no need for lube. I load on my Lyman Spar T turret just like I'm loading pistol cartridges. Accuracy is sub 2 moa with both pb and gc bullets up to 1600 fps(which is all the faster I want to go).
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

So, just exactly how do you convert a FCD into a neck sizing die?