Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Would You Pay For A Muzzleloading Shotgun?

Boolit Bub

How Much Would You Pay For A Muzzleloading Shotgun?

Hi,
    I found a muzzleloading shotgun for sale made by 1973 New Light Art Works, Jodhpur India .710 bore (13 ga) used and has not been fired except for proofing for $275, is this a steal? I did some research and I found one that sold for $195 in 2007. I think the ramrod may be missing, hard to tell from the picture.
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5281391_01_double_barrel_percussion_shotg_640.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	165196
    Last edited by BlackPowderBen; 04-02-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: needed to add more info

Boolit Master
    I have the same gun and paid $250 for it a few years ago, so I think you're in the right ballpark. A lot of people talk trash about any gun made in India, but the ones I personally know have stopped that after shooting mine next to their more expensive ones. Mine is cylinder bore, but that is an advantage in my book because it allows me easier loading and better shooting with a PRB. I tend to load one barrel with #6s for small game and the other with a .690" PRB for hogs, and just take whatever legal meat I happen to stumble across when hunting with it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The problem with India guns, the same label can be made by various local manufacturers. You need to look at over all quality of the gun, and if you have questions have someone who really knows them look at it. A friend had got an India gun that was quite nice. I liked it, ordered one of the same. When it arrived, I looked it over, called the US dealer, and had it back in the mail within an hour. I condemned it as unsafe to shoot. It was obviously made by someone other than who had built my friend's gun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, Waksupi is absolutely correct. Now the really sad thing is that the same thing can be said of several of the US-based makers of semi-custom and custom guns too. I have heard/read of many complaints due to this practice by at least 3-4 gun makers.

+1

I would not recommend buying a knife or a firrarm, made in India, w/o a "hands-on" inspection.

Today's Stoeger, Savage, S&W, and some Mossbergs (SxS/O/U) are not products of India, but Turkey.

AFAIK, with my experience with knives made in India, is that the quality, hardening, and dimensions have no overseeing other than the US importer, who may (or may not) care.

OTOH, firearms made in Turkey today are at about the same level of strength, dimensions & fitment as the early (US import) firearms from Yapan, before the Nipponese caught on. (Today, the quality of guns from the likes of Miroku & SKB, etc, can rival the best US-made guns.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    waksupi speaks words of wisdom.

If you are looking for a SXS shotgun, I think you might be better served to keep your eyes out for a good used CVA or similar that has a decent track record which a person would know a lot more as to who manufactured it for sure. They show up every so often as do some good originals that are still in shooting shape.

I picked up a very nicely built SXS percussion 20 gauge made in Germany from a fellow at Friendship in the sheep sheds one time. It was an "apprentice" (apprentice built) shotgun and was in fantastic shape and I traded a "fixer upper" and $200.00 for it. Granted, it was a few years back but there are some good ones still floating around - and worth it even if you have to pay a little more. I kept the one I bought and shot it for a few years and then lost interest in it so traded it off on another firearm that caught my eye.

If you are purchasing a shotgun, while you may be just fine doing an online purchase, personally, I'd much rather be able to handle it, pull the barrels and locks and inspect it and check the condition of the bores. On an original SXS, the barrels can often be in need of re-soldering where they are joined due to the joining ribs being loose. It is fixable but it should be done by someone who is experienced in doing that type of barrel work. You also should pull the locks and check the condition of the tumbler to bridle fit, tumbler notches and sears for any excessive wear that could turn in to a safety issue and while the locks are pulled, check out the stock in the lock mortises and the wrist for any cracks, etc. which can and should be repaired.

Good luck to you!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all your help! So you don't think it's a great deal?

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot of black powder shotgun and really like my origonals, that being said unless you know them I would recomend the CVA for bottom end, sadly they are out of production but can be found. The TC New Englander also out of production is a very good single barrel. Top end modern production are the Pedersoli avatable in 20 to 10 ga can be found used in very good condition 500 and up. I have a 20 and 10 both with well over 20K shots each still in good shape.
    Depends if you want a shooter or a wall hanger
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    If I could inspect it before buying, or have a inspection period like TOTW gives to make sure it passes my inspection, I would buy it in a heart beat. But if the seller refused to let me inspect it, I would go find another one. For what it's worth, these are lighter so handle nice and fast and are also light to carry all day, while the CVA is, um, stout, and the Pedersoli just depends on when it was built. The early ones were light like these India-built guns but the later ones have been heavy. So the late Pedersoli and the CVA are stronger, but a shotgun tends to be loaded with low pressures as compared to rifles or handguns, so doesn't need as thick side walls as a rifle does.

Perma-Banned
    if it looked as good in person as it does in the picture I would give the askin' price for it. but, haggler that I am, I'd try to get the price down a tad .

Boolit Master
    I've seen some India made guns and wasn't impressed at all with them. Maybe they were bad examples. I built a 12ga dble from a CVA kit many years ago and it looked and functioned beautifully. I killed many ducks and pheasants with it. I used regular shot cups and a thin over shot card. I'd attach a pic, but gave it to my son in law awhile back. If you ever shoot one, always check the other barrel with a ram rod to make sure your load didn't move from recoil before shooting. I've heard bad things about that.

Boolit Master
    Having a Dram loading chart for Black 2-FFG for use in some modern shotguns. Without-a-doubt I've been enjoying my single shot 12 & 410 Iver Johnson's afield for quite sometime. "Yep hybrid old school weaponry gents."_ Black charges packed into plastic hulls having enough snuff to down those speedy grouse & partridges and too put the hammer down on those woodsy snow shoe bunny's is outstandingly fun. Easy-peasy afterwards to swab out Blacks barrel fouling too.
    So the question "How Much Would You Pay For A Muzzleloading Shotgun?" Really? I got the best of both shooting sports working for me i.e. Modern & Black.

Boolit Master
    Overmax,
    I have done the same with my old NEF 20ga, but that is irrelevant due to the OPs question being about a specific ML (only) shotgun. Besides, there's things a modern shotgun just can't do, that a ML will do very well. You may want to try one sometime.

Boolit Master

$275 for a double shotgun cap or flint , Yes I would buy before it is gone. When I do not like it I will pass it on at enough to cover price and shipping.

Boolit Master
    I recently paid 200 for a nice double barreled shotgun. Needs some work on the hammers but otherwise its good.

Boolit Bub
    well the seller wouldn't ship, not going to be able to get this gun

I've seen a variety of made in India MLers, I wouldn't shoot most of them. I think you are better off that the seller made the decision for you.
    TC
    Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em.

Boolit Buddy
    I stand with Standing Bear on this.

Perma-Banned
    I saw this gun on armslist even before it was posted here. if I could examine it in person & if it passed muster upon my inspection I would gladly give the askin price for it.

Perma-Banned
    for anyone who may have been interested in this, it's back on Armslist & $50 cheaper at $225.00