Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captec International

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

Captec International

Visited with Kathi at Captec about the possibility of them running 32-40, 38-55 and 38-50. She said the more they hear from folks wanting that , the more they would be inclined to run it.
    So here ya go folks give them a call at 605-791-1974 and let them know what you want. They are listening and have demonstrated in the past to fulfill customer requests.
    605-791-1974
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

38-55 I get from Starline, but the other two would be quite useful! Thanks for the heads up, I'll get in touch with them.

-Nobade

I'ld like to see them make 38-55, all the brass I've got from them is so far ahead of Starline in quality, it isn't even a close consideration.

Boolit Master
    I think the big 3 may drop a lot of older rounds. Hopefully Captec can pick up the slack.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I'ld like to see them make 38-55, all the brass I've got from them is so far ahead of Starline in quality, it isn't even a close consideration.
    Strangely, I have exactly the reverse experience. Not even close.

That's nothing that is going to surprise anybody Brent, matter of fact I don't know what took you so long to post that.....

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big fan of Starline but have heard good stuff about Jamison, they make brass for a cartridge (35WCF) I'm interested in. I'm not sure Starline has the capacity to address some of the more obscure cartridges so I see the benefit of supporting Jamison and Bertram to keep these old cartridges alive and the rifles chambered for them at the range and in the field, where they belong.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Captec has been spectacularly responsive to the bpcr shooters and producing quality brass for some of the less common cartridges in use. Their new 40-70 SS is made to fit the new chambers using the "405" rim. In a head to head comparison I have no idea why anyone would choose Starline 45-90 over JBA, their 44-77 and 44-90 brass has been an absolute godsend to resurrecting those two cartridges.
    357 max, and 351 self loader brass , has been a huge success for them and the folks with guns in those defunct chambers.
    I do hope they get enough input on the 32-40 and now that the big boys are dropping 30-40 brass to get started on providing those for us.

Boolit Master
    Don, I truly don't understand why you love to badmouth Starline all the time, but plenty of shooters are winning matches with Starline. How about you? Yeah, I thought so.

Boolit Master
    You know, it's just downright irritating how you love to mislead people Don. Why you love to slam Starline, however, is just beyond me. So, a quick check of the sets results for the most recently available nationals (BPCR 2015, BPTR 2014) show the following brass manufacturers.

BPTR Midrange
    Starline 16
    Winchester 8
    Remington 8
    Buffalo Arms 4
    Hornady 1
    Jamison (captec) 1 Would this be YOU, Don? And how far down the scoring list did you finish?

BPTR Long Range Creedmoor
    Starline 29
    Winchester 1
    Remington 1
    Bufalo arms 4
    Hornady 1
    Jamison 1 You again? You were in 37th place out of 40. Yeah, great recommendation that is.

And in the final analysis for the combined midrange/creedmoor Ironman you were exactly 29th out of 29. DEAD LAST. Almost 500 points behind Dave Gullo.

BPCR Scope
    Starline 23
    Winchester 19
    Remington 15
    N/A 2
    Bufalo Arms 1
    Hornady 1
    Jamison (captech) 0

BPCR Irons
    Starline 26
    Winhester 19
    Remington 10
    N/A 2
    Buffalo Arms 1
    Remington and winchester 1
    Jamison (captech) 0

There are few people who spew more false and misleading information than you do. Please stick to something that you actually know. Brass is not one of them.

Seriously Brent? Not sure how you think scores in a match can translate to brass quality,, but then that shouldn't surprise any one either..

Boolit Master
    Seriously Don. How do you figure Starline is so bad? You love to bash them, yet, 29 out of 36 creedmoor shooters ended up using it. that's 80 percent. And the one person using Jamison that is such an expert, knows everything about everything is CONSISTENTLY battling for last place over and over again. That would be you, wouldn't it?

Where do you get off bashing a product that is used by the more shooters than anyone else and then show on the very bottom of the list of competitors, over and over and over again? Only boge, can give you a run for your money at reaching rock bottom, yet both of you broadcast your expertise as if you were multi-time national and world champions. You hang your avatar out there, as if it was the grand champion medal, yet you are in the lowest of classifications and never a threat to even score above the fold, let alone win. You are as phony as a $3 bill. Please keep your "expert" brass opinions to yourself. The stuff is expensive and you are seriously misleading shooters who need to make intelligent decisions with their discretionary money.

Brent what Jamison/Captec brass have you actually used and what did you find faulty with it?

Boolit Master
    What starline have you used and what was wrong with it? You said, "[COLOR=#333333] I have no idea why anyone would choose Starline 45-90 over JBA" Yet, 80% of BPTR Creedmoor shooters choose it over ALL OTHER BRASS COMBINED. 100% of all BPCR shooters chose any brass EXCEPT Jamison/Captech. So, how are you so much smarter than everyone else and why don't your scores reflect this brilliance?

The Jamison I used was, not particularly consistent from piece to piece. It wasn't horrible like Bertram, but it was nowhere near the consistency of Starline.

Boolit Master
    It really disturbs me that we have people on the forum picking at each other this way. I do NOT find it uplifting nor positive in ANY way.

What cartridge Brent?. It was a simple question, simple answer is all that was required.
    More folks probably using Starline because Captec has only had the 45-90 brass out for a year or so, you might want to get a handful of cases and try them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    It really disturbs me that we have people on the forum picking at each other this way. I do NOT find it uplifting nor positive in ANY way.
    I agree. Just like I find it disturbing that one person with negative creditials has a vendetta against one of the best manufacturers in the business and whose product is absolutely critical to this sport. But he will never stop. I don't know why.

Look at the numbers.

Banned

wow.
    this reminds me of the flow and dialogue of the discussions Larry and another fellow that used to also be a member here had several times.
    I don't remember the other guy's name that got banned right off.
    anyway, this was pretty much how their conversations went.... for a while.

Boolit Grand Master

While I am not a big competitor in big matches, I simply compete in the local Shilouette matches here due to mobility issues. I use alot of diffrent brass in my bpcr rifles. I also shot NRA High power (ending with High Masters cards in my pocket). I have found consitant brass does make a diffrence in accuracy maybe not always a "useable" diffrence but a diffrence ( confindence in a load rifle combination is a big thing). Until you sit down and measure cases in comparison as to neck thickness, concentricity, volumne, wall thickness ( perferable at 2-3 places down the cases length and 3 places around it), rim dias, rim thickness, And chart it all out its a result of accuracy at the target to determine best brass. I use alot of Starline some winchester and remington as they are easier for me to order and obtain. ( my personal high here on our course is 39 with a run of 11 hits on the bucket during shoot off). I will look at captec and see what they offer and prices with an open mind. But when the first batch comes in I will also dig out my gages and tools and check the above. Being an old tool and die maker its in the blood LOL. I normally dont check hardness, overall length, as these can be "adjusted thru annealing and trimming, same with primer pockets depth squareness and flash hole size can be uniformed easily, off center flasholes well that may be an issue. Theres so much to determine with brass.

Boolit Bub
    I wont take sides in a argument like two bull dogs pulling on the same bone

I have a lot of brass and most is Starline and some Jamison 110 and .44-77 since it came out and I'm thankful that they make it.
    But I have had problems with both. Starline cases are on the hard side and I have had separation with the 110 cases. More so with the longer .45 brass then the smaller brass like hand gun and smaller calibers. Jamison has a better brass, more like red brass (more copper in the alloy) and I don't have the problems of separation using it. But I must say the Jamison is more inconsistent then Starline. Rim thickness, inside volume and uneven neck thickness from lot to lot.
    Starline is the most consistent brass over all the brass I use. Bell, Jamison, Bertram and Huntington. To me consistency is important for competition. That is win or loss if you don't have it.