WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: type set

type set

what can i do with 230 pounds of type set

In Remembrance

Is it linotype with a line of print on 1 edge, or individual letters that would be mono type or foundry type. If your intention is to sell it, don`t render it down and make ingots as most casters prefer to get it in the original condition. Whatever it is it would make a nice `sweetner` to add to a soft lead pot mix or make up an alloy from.Robert

Boolit Master
    add it to 400 lbs of pure lead...

Banned

actually 690 lbs of lead would make an excellent alloy. [1/3/96]
    or throw it in with some ww's at a ratio of 8 to 1 and go to town with it. [makes about 1/4/95 alloy]
    cut it in half with pure lead and add 2% more tin for a real nice alloy similar to lyman #2 [4/6/90] or just cut it in half to make terracorp magnum alloy [2/6/92]

or waste it and use it as is according to the lyman book [snicker]

Boolit Master
    I think what I have is monotype or foundry type according to what Hardcast416taylor has just described. Before I have this tested, what should the breakdown be for this? I got it to sweetin up my alloy for boolits run thru my 44 mag and 45 acp.

Those recipes that run5run gave you are all good. The 45 ACP should work fine even with the leanest 1/3/96 alloy. If the 44 mag are not gas check bullets you might need to go a little richer than that if they are going to be hot loads or go through a rifle.

Start by using a little to sweeten and move up from there if you find you need harder bullets. Goal being to use as little rich alloy as required to get an alloy that works well for your shooting. Fit of bullet is a big part of accuracy and having bullet not lead, some would even say more important than alloy hardness.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Most print shops used to remelt their alloys, and all did when they used the linotype system, which cast a complete, non-reusable line of print in one piece. So a mixed print shop might well have somewhat mixed alloys. You can count on them having a lot more antimony and less tin than an ideal bullet metal. They will shoot well if cast in the form you get them, but are both wasteful of antimony and excessively brittle on impact, if impact matters. They are also less inclined than a softer alloy to upset and seal the bore if the bullets are undersized, which makes a very hard bullet increase, not reduce, leading of the bore.

Simply diluting with pure (or purer) lead will work fine for most purposes, but for critical applications on big game it is a good idea to add tin, either pure or from lead bar solder.