Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scopekiller Paroled!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Nothing like turning a front ring on a Redfield style 1 piece mount using the scope!!! That will help sope life I bet. Not!

Somewhere, somebody is doing that right now, lol. Not a big fan of Redfield mounts. Had one long ago, never again. Look pretty cool, though.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Good to hear ol "scope killer" may like the weaver and the rcbs clone boolit.That little 200 gr. boolit is one of my favorites in the whelen.

Don't feel alone on the scope thing. As you may remember "ol contrary" killed 2 new american made redfields in 2 months last year.
    I really hated it too as they have very clear glass and i liked the ranging circle reticle, which is exactly why i bought one.

I'm sure they will get the problems ironed out with them(probably already have), but in the meantime i went back to leupold....no more problems.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you and I aren't the only folks who had to send Redfields back for repair, another member sent two back and sold the replacements IIRC. I have every confidence Leupold will get it right someday but they sure had me scratching my head for awhile. I have one on my loaner rifle and it seems to be working great. Anyone who borrows it will have to shoot it first so any issues should come up then. I'll mount the repaired scope on something someday, may be another Marlin but I think it will do just fine.
    I've had minor issues with Leupold recently as well, neither had enough elevation adjustment. I don't mind shimming a one-piece mount (much) but won't do it with a two-piece.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

TX.

May or may not be of interest to you, but i googled SWFA scopes a while back and am very impressed with what i found out about them.

The history on them is very interesting. I think everything they make is rated ok for 50 cal. Even their set power scopes all have rear adj. parallax.
    The elevation capability is what really got my attention about them.

Boolit Buddy
    Just wondering TXGunNut, when you miss or pull a shot, do you ever throw the gun down a stomp on it?.....could it be........I mean we all have our breaking points... :^)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Just wondering TXGunNut, when you miss or pull a shot, do you ever throw the gun down a stomp on it?.....could it be........I mean we all have our breaking points... :^)

Nope, when the loose nut behind the butt blows a shot, he gets all the blame. Happens more often than I want to talk about but nobody gets hurt and no equipment is mistreated. When everything goes especially well I brag on my equipment and ammo because goodness knows I'm not that great a rifle shot.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Nothing like turning a front ring on a Redfield style 1 piece mount using the scope!!! That will help sope life I bet. Not!
    OUCH! Well, I'm smarter now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    OUCH! Well, I'm smarter now.
    Short piece of broomstick works better but I hear they actually make a tool for it, lol. I've even seen folks lapping the bottom of the Redfield ring into the base. You haven't lived 'til you try a set of rings where the screws come up from the bottom. Different strokes, I guess.
    Taking Scopekiller out again this weekend, need to tweak that new load she likes. Still haven't figured out why she doesn't like the old standard load anymore. She's a contrary cuss, but when she's good, she's really good.

Boolit Grand Master

Scopekiller decided she likes the new load and more importantly she's OK with the new Weaver scope. I've heard they were pretty tough. It's lasted thru over 100 rounds of load development and still hanging in there. All three Redfield scope failures happened 20-30 rounds in. Cartridge necks are getting a little hard (been reloading same 30 pieces) so time for some new brass and a trip to the 100 yd line to fine-tune things a bit. Other rifle I was working with today wears a new 6X Weaver and it's doing well also.
    Think I'll still call her Scopekiller. I don't think she's really earned it but hopefully she won't mind.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    FYI, if you ever wan to try different mounts I heartily endorse the one piece Burris turn in mount. Have one on my Glenfield 30 with a little 1.5-4.5x20 Swift and it is rock solid. That cheap little rifle will embarrass a lot of bolt guns on the range, I give the excellent base and rings much of the credit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty much stuck on Weaver mounts and Burris Z-Rings. I had some turn in mounts many moons ago but never liked them. Looked great but a PITA to get things working right. Nothing wrong with a Glenfield, nothing at all. There's a reason why most we see these days are very well worn; they work! Scopekiller is actually a pretty accurate rifle, not quite on a level with my Guide Gun or possibly my latest 1895 but certainly no slouch-just like most Marlins. Feel pretty sure I can get her back under 2 MOA pretty soon.

Boolit Buddy

I never killed a scope in 30 years, then I started using a lead sled.
    When I first started using the lead sled, I had 50 pounds of lead on it for shooting my in-line muzzle loaders.
    Killed a Nikon with the first 40 shots (100grs BH 209, 300gr sabot bullet).
    The next scope was a Redfield on a lightweight 30-06 using 150 grain Noslers and IMR 4064.
    I took the extra weight off after the 2nd destroyed scope.
    Haven't had a dead scope since, even my Ruger #1 45-70 loaded for elephant has been okay.
    BTW, both scopes were fixed under warranty without any hassles.

CPL Lou

Boolit Buddy
    i have 3 marlins (one a 35 rem) and they all have ultra dots on them. if an ultra dot can survive for years mounted on a 1911 bullseye gun slide with no problems, a ride on a rifle should be a walk in the park.

I had a Bushnell a few years ago that could not be used. It would not hold zero. Mostly the inexpensive scopes have not had the best clarity and that sort of thing. Had one old Tasco that you could hardly see through towards twilight. Fell out of tree climbing it and landed on an old Weaver 2.5 scope, got back into the tree and shot a smaller buck at 280 steps from the tree.
    You can get all kinds of advice on this, but I kind of baby my scopes and carry the rifles in hard cases with padding during transport and use iron sights on my tractor/4 Wheeler guns. For serious deer hunting I want a scope.

DP

Boolit Grand Master

I like scopes for low-light conditions, confidence on long (for me) shots and for closely scrutinizing antlers and such. For most hunting situations I want a scoped rifle in hand, or at least nearby. Still need to do some final load (and scope) testing but every time I get to the club it's too windy for any serious rifle shooting.
    Careful with those lead sleds, CPL Lou! I've heard it's pretty easy to break a wood stock in one of those with a heavy load. I've found an upright shooting position and a PAST pad make most of my "thumpers" tolerable.

Boolit Grand Master

Spoke too soon, Scopekilller strikes again!

I can't believe it, I truly can't. After about 40 rounds Scopekiller finally killed my new Weaver scope. Had a nice group going, a bit wind-blown and 3" low. One was about 7" low but didn't see it until later. Went up 6 clicks (ignore the 1/4 minute rumor) and the rounds stayed in the same group. Went up another 6 clicks and first shot went into that same low group, second 5" higher. Next three went back into the earlier group. Went up another 6 clicks and the next 5 rounds went into a decent group at point of aim. Decided to try it again, first round went goodness knows where. Next three went into a decent group but the 5th round hit over 4" low. I'm getting better at scope anatomy, pretty sure something called an erector is broken. If you're keeping score at home this makes five scopes broken by Scopekiller. Some day this will all seem funny but today's not the day.
    My Savage shot quite well with it's new Weaver 6X scope. I forgot my 45-70 ammo so it will have to wait for another day.

Unbelievable....wow. Peep sight and forget it for that one?

Vendor Sponsor

Lyman 66LA for sure. If that thing is as hard on scopes as it appears to be then Iron Sights are the only answer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I've had one scope on a 444 for 20 years. I shoot it often. See my previous post for why scopes die. There is always a reason.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.