MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found old bee hive

Boolit Mold

Found old bee hive

Well I took my daughter and our dogs for a walk out back to find some trees for blackpowder use and found this old hive with a hole in its side. After further examination I noticed no bees around nor nothing active inside. So I grabbed it to take home. I'm thinking of trying it for a patch in the old muzzleloader. So my question is, what part do you use? The outside, inside or both? Do you guys use this instead of a patch or do you load this before your normal patch? Thanks fellas,
    DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	163844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	163843

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like a Hornet nest, not a bee hive.

Don't think anything there to use in a muzzleloader

That is a paper wasp nest.

Boolit Master

Yea, hornet's nest.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the quick replies. If it's good for nothing, I'll just toss it. The kids got a kick out of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The only thing I know that you could do with it, was use it as a wad in building a shot column in a smoothbore for blasting squirrels/munks with some shot.... but other than that, nope.

I think Sam Fadala wrote something about using it under a patched ball to prevent burned patches, but I've never really burned a patch enough to see a need for that.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Perma-Banned
    people use it for waddin' in shot loads. I believe all ya do is wad up enough that when rammed home will provide an adequate wall between yer powder & shot. then wad up enough to hold yer shot in place & ram it down on top.

Boolit Mold
    Hmmm I never thought of using for a shot column. Might have to try that out. I just ordered some brass shells for the shotguns. I'll give it a try when they arrive.

Boolit Master
    id burn it before you find out how much larva is down in them holes.

Boolit Grand Master

Some people have used them as an over powder wad. Suppose to work real good.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    You can shoot it

Perm-Banned
    in days gone by hornets nest was used for wading as stated above, it is superior to anything else. if you shoot that style of gun, save it and use it.

Boolit Master
    I have read, talked to old timers that did this, and tried it myself, used it as a buffer between patched round ball and powder.worked great!

Boolit Buddy

I have also used paper wasp nesting over the powder and it works quite well. It doesn't matter where the material comes from.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    people use it for waddin' in shot loads. I believe all ya do is wad up enough that when rammed home will provide an adequate wall between yer powder & shot. then wad up enough to hold yer shot in place & ram it down on top.

I have a ziplock bag full of this exact stuff to use in my TC new englander 12 gauge shotgun, my dad has been using it in his double barrel for years, he would get a doughnut hole in his pattern when he used the stuff you buy from shops for over powder, they are called an over powder card and are heavier than the over shot cards, this is where the nest material shines, its so light weight that it doesnt travel anywhere out of the barrel and turns to dust, leaving the shot pattern alone. I read a good article on patterning a blackpowder shotgun, this guy only uses the thin lightweight over shot cards, he pours his powder in, then seats 3 of the little lightweight cards over the powder, then pushes one more down the barrel about 3 inches or so and then pours his shot in, he sprinkles corn meal muffin mix in on top of the shot and taps the barrel until it sinks into the shot, and then seats another lightweight over shot card on top of the shot and rams it down on top of the charge. His theory is the muffin mix cushions the shot and the lightweight cards are way lighter than even a single pellet, so when they exit the barrel they fly off to the right/left wherever? but dont interfere with the shot. The nest material is doing the same thing as the lightweight cards, and its free if you find it! And dont get stung

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll be giving it a try.

In Remembrance

Probably would make some nice fire starting tinder.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. If it's good for nothing, I'll just toss it. The kids got a kick out of it.
    Paper wasp eggs and larvae can live in the nest for a year or so,be sure you don't just stick it in the garage unless you want to fight with these critters for the next couple of years
    As far as muzzleloader goes that would be to thin for a patch., dust.it might be usable as a wad over shot if that thing is dry it will go poof when you put a flame to it.I'd stick with pillow ticking myself. I'm not shooting a muzzleloader shotgun maybe a little rat shot in a plastic sabots once in awhile
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 03-18-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Perm-Banned
    its not for patching material. it is for between the ball or shot and the powder. i read it in a very old book, dont know if it was ned roberts or some one else. mostly used in front end loader shotguns.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I knew a fellow who found one of those and decided to take it home with him. It was cold out so he just knocked it down and put it in the back of his station wagon . . . of course the heater was on in the car and guess what surprise he got when the nest got warmed up? Those hornets/paper wasps are nothing to fool with so heed the warning given about the larva that can exist in the nest and take care.