WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Babbitt score

Boolit Man

Babbitt score

Never seen babbitt until today. I didn't know what it was at the scrap yard but I knew I had to have it.
    It's marked "QQT-390 Grade 2 CSR"

A quick google search shows the following composition:
    Tin: 88-90%
    Antimony: 7-8%
    Lead: less than 0.35%
    Copper: 3-4%

Total weight is 33lbs in 5 notch-bars. Cost: $23 and some sweat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02628.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	163739

And is worth around $300 maybe more not bad for $23 unless you sweated a whole awful lot. Babbitt is great alloy. Tin enough to put good amount in a lot of lead. The Antimony is high enough that it will raise not lower that Sb for hardness. Last but not least the copper makes for a tough bullet, one that stays together and keeps going when hitting a bone in a big animal at a high velocity. Close to pewter but with foundry stamps to provide proof of the alloy.

Man all I did today was have wild sex with a beautiful woman and find a $10 bill on the sidewalk, I'm totally jealous.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Man all I did today was have wild sex with a beautiful woman and find a $10 bill on the sidewalk, I'm totally jealous.
    Hmm, I'd almost trade you straight across for that.

Nah you don't want to. She has an annoying husband who is only a fair shot but believes limiting yourself to double tap is only for when you are low on ammo, and she is not all that bright either, after all she married me. Now the $10 I could spare.... just to help cover the postage don't you know.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

That is awesome every time I come across a factory or foundry ingot I grab it up and stash it under the work bench, one day if I ever get access to an xrf gun I would like to see what I have. I love digging for the stuff it is like a treasure hunt.

Is that 33# per 5 notch bar or 33# total score?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    That is awesome every time I come across a factory or foundry ingot I grab it up and stash it under the work bench, one day if I ever get access to an xrf gun I would like to see what I have. I love digging for the stuff it is like a treasure hunt.

Is that 33# per 5 notch bar or 33# total score?

I had to move many hundreds of pounds of dirty flashing and other heavy junk to find the treasure. Now my hands and wrists hurt even more than normal. But, it was worth it, it appears.
    The ingots are a little over 5lb each.

Banned

that dirty flashing is a treasure in it's own right.
    don't move it, stack it up,,,, and buy it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that dirty flashing is a treasure in it's own right.
    don't move it, stack it up,,,, and buy it.
    I don't buy it there because they charge 70 cents a pound and I can get better, cleaner lead for 42 cents a pound at my 'regular' place.

What this place has been good for is finding old foundry type metal, solder bars, the babbitt, of course, and lots of really hard scuba weights that have made some dandy bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

you did awesome with that purchase
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    Nothing but luck. And I'm especially happy when I get some of that kind of good luck.

Yep, stack the "other" stuff up nice and neat so you can come back for it later... Seems I can never leave it there for very long. Wow scored 33# of Babbitt AND has a source for lead at 42 cents a pound. I'm not jealous, I'm more along the lines of beginning to hate with a deep and abiding..... Oh never mind, hating be too much work.