RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing to do with guns but I want one of these.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    So did you have to register all of those?
    It is a single fee for all the planes you own, I have to mark them with my registration number before I fly them again. I think I have one that is light enough that I would not have to mark it. I dislike that our government is so repressive and intrusive and I will push back but on this, I will abide by the law and just raise my voice about the injustice.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Those are awesome. My thought went to multi engine replicas of Airliners or B52's, etc. Wouldn't be the high speed fun of the jet fighters, but would be pretty cool anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

Okay experts, I have been thinking of getting back into RC(did it years ago, had a Piper Cub with a 4' wing span) and am thinking an electric glider. Motor to altitude then thermal off the air coming off the fields around me. I have the space to take off in my yard no problem(could do a 170 foot runway!) and I like the larger planes because they are easier to see with my bad eyes! Any kit suggestions? Wouldn't mind building a balsa model...

Quote Originally Posted by jblee10 View Post
    Those are awesome. My thought went to multi engine replicas of Airliners or B52's, etc. Wouldn't be the high speed fun of the jet fighters, but would be pretty cool anyway.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Wow
    Last edited by Artful; 03-01-2016 at 02:10 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Mary, if I had your space, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8 ft. wing; 10 ft. would be better. Enough motor and enough battery to get it up to at least 1,500 ft. above ground. With the advances in electric motors and LiPo batteries you should have lots of choices.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    A model jet engine has to be a much simpler installation than a full-size one, and the aircraft you mention can have a crew member occupied solely with engine management if the need arises. We have seen that it isn't difficult to get a tremendous amount of power from them. but multiple engine aircraft demand equal amounts of power.

Artful, your link reminded me of the B29 that dropped a rocket powered X1.

Found the video.

Boolit Master
    I know a guy who built a model of the DC-10 with two jet engines and put a camera in the center engine nacelle.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Okay experts, I have been thinking of getting back into RC(did it years ago, had a Piper Cub with a 4' wing span) and am thinking an electric glider. Motor to altitude then thermal off the air coming off the fields around me. I have the space to take off in my yard no problem(could do a 170 foot runway!) and I like the larger planes because they are easier to see with my bad eyes! Any kit suggestions? Wouldn't mind building a balsa model...
    I hand launch my motor glider, wheels add drag, use a geared motor with large folding prop. The long runway does help with the belly landing as the glider has a shallow glide slope unless you have flaps or spoilers. Simple stick built planes with monokote work fine.

Tim

Moderator Emeritus

Well considering I need to relearn to fly... smaller to start! 6 foot would be about right

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Mary, if I had your space, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8 ft. wing; 10 ft. would be better. Enough motor and enough battery to get it up to at least 1,500 ft. above ground. With the advances in electric motors and LiPo batteries you should have lots of choices.

Boolit Master
    I just registered with the FAA. You don't need to register each toy; but you're supposed to put your registration number on each one.

To the best of my knowledge, it's another case of a few idiots, who were not Academy of Model Aviation members, doing stupid things and posting the results, that caused the government to penalize everyone. Typical government response.

And, when you get right down to it, it's yet another unenforceable regulation. It would simply be another charge added if a person were caught doing something dumb.

Richard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, it's another case of a few idiots, who were not Academy of Model Aviation members, doing stupid things and posting the results, that caused the government to penalize everyone.
    Richard
    Back in the day (mid 70's - mid 80's) it was mostly about registration and identification.

There always was an altitude restriction in proximity to an airport. That was more for the rocket guys. Besides, seeing a model clearly enough to actually control it gets tough at those heights.
    The Academy of Model Aviation (AMA) was little more than a magazine subscription and an ID number that was to be displayed in/on each model. I actually lost a plane due to low receiver battery charge, it was returned more than a year later when a hunter found it with its id inside.

I had a friend who nearly killed himself - came in hot for a landing, metal nosed prop spinner on a scale P51, zigged when he should have zagged - bored an awesome hole in his belly - LONG recovery!

The FCC does the radio regulation, i/e. channels, frequencies, etc. - important in a crowded spectrum, got pushed around a bit by other uses like cell phones, baby monitors. My initial foray into Amateur Radio was the quest for better radio control. That never materialized, but now I talk around the world.
    Long since sold the planes, but still have a half dozen model helicopters. Talk about an expensive "hard landing!"
    kc3cgq

Boolit Mold
    AHH reading this and looking at the vids make me miss my raptors!!! Had a lot of fun with them.

Boolit Bub
    That's the coolest video I've seen in a while! My adventure into RC planes ended in a pile of match stick size balsa.

Frosted Boolits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W170zszmkWk

This guy knows how to fly an RC helicopter LOL.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows