MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Garrett arms.

Boolit Mold

Garrett arms.

Did Garrett arms biuld 45-70 in a 1874s? I seen one for sale and when I tried to research them I could only find info on the 1863 carbines. If so what price range would one be in to be considered an ok buy. Thanks

Boolit Mold
    I have read that the Garretts were some of the best imports. It looks like most were carbines but did garrett biuld 32" octogon barrel model. Also are the old Shilo sharps and the C. sharps from the 1970's as good as the new ones today or have they came along way or went backwards?

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the military style carbines in .45-70 when Garrett was going out of business, and later I saw they were remaindering rifles that looked like standard sporters with double set triggers and long octagon barrels. But IIRC, the illustration in The Shotgun News still had the vertical percussion style hammer rather than the more streamlined 1874 styled hammer. I don't recall at this late date how long the barrels were.

It may be that there were versions of the Garrett in 74 configuration, with the lightened lock plate and streamlined hammer. Garrett was obviously totally into the Sharps mystique, and the copies were very good for their price, and ruthlessly authentic. The litmus test will be the "Garrett Arms" stamp where the "Sharps Rifle Mfg." stamp normally is on the action. My carbine also has a cartouche in the wood with Garrett's initials instead of the real inspector's mark, but in the same style as the latter. Mine also has the decommissioned Lawrence primer flipper on the lock plate. I heard that some people got percussion versions where the primer flipper was fully operational and worked as well as the originals.

I wouldn't sell my carbine for less than 12 hun or so. My only objection is the barrel, which has a bore on the order of -.446" and deep grooves to bring it up to -.458." I wonder if they didn't get a weird original to copy and copied it authentically right down to the last flaw. It still shoots well, but with the barrel and single trigger, it's just not a target rifle candidate like a Pedersoli or Shiloh or C Sharps.

Boolit Master
    I met charley garrett. at a gun show one time. talked to him about his guns. his were the best of the imports. the only problem was he was about 5 years early. the interest was just not there. I have one of the 66 carbine conversions in .50-70. he said he only made 100 of them. he did have some made on the 74 action in .45-70.

Boolit Master
    bob208,

I had about twice what I paid for the Garrett down as a deposit on the Shiloh Products Co. Sharps rifle that was supposed to be coming out of Farmingdale in a couple months or so. The months turned into over a year with nothing but rumors that they couldn't get the proper wood; that the supplier of this or that hadn't come through yet, etc. However, with every rumor came the announcement that the projected price had gone up a hundred dollars or so. I finally pulled the deposit and bought the Garrett at the remainder sale they were having. Outside of maybe one review in a gun magazine, that was the first time I even heard that there was a Garrett Arms Co. They didn't seem to be very aggressively marketed. The Farmingdale outfit didn't start really getting rifles on the marked for another three years or so.

If there had been enough of the Sharps copies, from any source, available, the interest would have assured a winner on the market for Garrett, and we might never have heard of Pedersoli and Armi Sport. Even back then, a shootable original cost a ton of money. These entrepreneurs risk a lot more than the contestants on "American Idol" to follow their dreams. You were fortunate to be able to talk to Mr. Garrett; I hope he landed on his feet and prospered in whatever he wound up doing.

Boolit Buddy
    Frank Garrett still comes to the N-SSA Nationals and sets up as a dealer. The only guns I remember them offering were percussion 1863's with functional Lawrence priming devices, and 1867 conversion carbines in .45-70 and .50-70. I purchased one of the .50-70's back in the very early 80's (??whenever they first offered them) It had excessive headspace. I exchanged it for another that had the same problem. Frank acted like it was my fault and took the 2nd gun back. That ended my dealings with their cartridge guns. Never saw any sporting rifles, but not saying they never made them.

The percussions are very well thought of among N-SSA shooters, and are quite accurate wit the correct loads and loading procedures. They like the old Lyman "Christmas tree bullet" (557489???) among others. PITA getting the chamber sleeve out for cleaning, though. Many guys rework the breechblock with a revised gas seal system.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Mold
    I've got one of the Garrett Gemmer style Sharps Rifles in 45/70. I paper patch it real tight (+.003) with a 500 gr Lee bullet sized down to work with the paper patch. Scary accurate out to 400 yards. That's as far as my rifle range go's.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had a Garret Sharps years ago. Trimmed off the primer feed mechanism, shortened the hammer throat by about 1/4". Then new heavy barrel, and fore stock. Made a dandy Business rifle. All of the internals back then interchanged with original Sharps parts, if needed. Loved it, but had to sell it for medical bills.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    They made Gemmer styled Sharps? I also liked the Gemmer style and thought if your gonna carry a cleaning rod why not have it on the rifle. I think we need a picture of that.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 102660I also have a '59 Garrett, I bought new in '84, and it still looks like new. Yes the parts were completely interchangeable. A good friend of mine had a "63 he bought the same time, and it recently sold for $500, with some original parts on it. I will tell you that it was confused with an original so much that we had a time selling it honestly.
    I love mine, and bought it because of the operating Lawrence pellet Priming system.

Boolit Master

Resurrecting an old thread.

Already owning a Uberti 1873 Springfield Trapdoor carbine in 45/70, I got a bug to get a Sharps carbine in 50/70 Govt. Unfortunately, no one currently makes one except the low-quality Chiappa Company. Checking the online gun auction sites, I finally found a Garrett carbine and bought it. The rifle just got here, but beyond checking to see that it worked and cleaning it, I haven't anything with it.

The prices for loaded factory rounds and lead bullets are insane, so I will be casting and loading my own for much, much less. I need to slug the barrel, then start casting. Brass is expensive at $1.30 apiece from Starline, but should last forever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1836-1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	162127

Name:	IMG_1835-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	162128

Name:	IMG_1834-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	162129
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

In Remembrance
    A Garrett is being offered for sale here. The pictures may be informative.
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100619863
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 74 Garrett Arms carbine in 50-70 way back in the late 70's before they went out of business from Shotgun News. My dad owned a store at the time and had a firearms license. Cost me $200 which was most of my summer earnings. I have since bought, sold and traded my guns, but this one has never left me and it probably never will. I ordered 20 cases from Dixie along with their mold for a Indian war period 422 grain slug. Over the years, I have killed more game (deer and elk) with that combination that any other gun I own old or modern. Several years back, I picked up another Garrett Carbine in the conversion model but it was chambered in .45-70. Both shoot very well. My favorite "smokeless" load for the .50-70 is 29 grains of IMR 4198 with a wad (I use toilet paper) and that dixie bullet. Velocity is around 1150-1200 fps and it is very accurate. Out to 150 yards or so, game go down hard with a good hit. The reason they were so much better was because the breach block was milled out of block steel instead of being cast.

Boolit Master

Griffiga: I am having problems determining the bore diameter of my rifle. I slugged the barrel due to the 3-lands and grooves, but calipers won't measure it correctly. Do you know the groove diameter of your 50/70?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Griffiga: I am having problems determining the bore diameter of my rifle. I slugged the barrel due to the 3-lands and grooves, but calipers won't measure it correctly. Do you know the groove diameter of your 50/70?
    Kevin I have never slugged my Garrett bore, but the cast bullets I shoot (unsized) run about .511-.512.