WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rugar American price adjustment?

Boolit Master

Rugar American price adjustment?

Stopped in the LGS today for some reloading stuff, browse a little. Last time I was in had several of the Ruger American pistols in the case, 9mm, the 45 was gone soon as they put it out. Last time the price was $499, today same gun is $469. Was told Ruger adjusted the price, guess trying to move them faster. Down side I saw was magazines, since I found none for sale on line. Nice gun, heavier than a very similar FNS 9mm. Like the ambi controls.

Funny about the 45 they sold, guy bought it soon as they put it out, and has already traded it back in unfired.

I think they're going to have to get more competitive on their prices to move them very fast. I can still pick up a Glock for that price, and don't have any trouble finding magazines. Sure, the Glock has kind of ill-designed sights, so replacing them will bring the cost up a little, but it's still functional. And I'm still periodically seeing M&P's for around $450.

I was kind of interested in the American, but expected the shelf price to be quite a bit lower.

Boolit Master
    Here the glocks go for $499 for a basic gun. I can get an M&P for $540 out the door. The Ruger looks good, feels good, but the mag issue is a concern. It comes w 2, I generally want a min of 4. And the Ruger is only a full size, if I was gonna get anything it would be a mid size gun. They have a FNS9 in the case for $529, but it comes w 3 mags, so pretty much same price as the Ruger.

I tried glocks, just could not get past the grip angle. And they may have to step up since all the other guns they are competing w are coming w steel sights vs the plastic ones stock glocks come w.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The American seems nice enough, but is overall too little too late. I don't really see how it is an improvement on the SR series either. I wish Ruger had instead pulled out the stops and created a true world class combat pistol that competes with SIG, Browning, and Beretta. They already have the SR's in $400-$500 price point.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    ive been thinking of getting a ruger American I got to handle 1 yesterday at a local shop . the shop I stopped at is the highest priced in this area but it seems when others say let me see if I can order it, he has it whatever it may be . all and all I really like the pistol and plan on eventually picking one up in 9mm but I think i'll wait for someone else to get them in this guy was priced at 499 so I'm sure others in this area will be around 439-449