MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70gov't

Boolit Buddy
    does lyman still do that sort of semi custom work ? or did they quite ? I've got a lyman 457122 which is the 330 gr gould hollow point but it has never had the hollow point pin..

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nyack Kid
    does lyman still do that sort of semi custom work ? or did they quite ? I've got a lyman 457122 which is the 330 gr gould hollow point but it has never had the hollow point pin..
    Nyack:

So far as I know, they don't any more. But was your #457122 originally made WITHOUT a hole for the pin or a screw to lock it in? If so, IT was a custom job, and you've got a REAL unusual mould.

I'll hafta add it to my (growing) list of Ideal / Lyman "curiosa".

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 10-24-2005 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    floodgate
    as far as i can tell ,this mold origanlly came without the hollow point pin and the lock screw. it look just like my other lyman molds . i picked it up last saterday at the Kalispell gun show . i had seen it before at a different gun show but i was not interester because i though it was lymans457191 the 292 grn express boolit. i didn't realise other wise till after i got it home and weighted the boolit that came with it . 350grs mmmm 2+2=....... not 457191 ...... i done got hosed ..... oh well . it needs a little TLC but for $20.00 i think i did good .

Quote Originally Posted by The Nyack Kid
    back in 87 my house burnt down and among other things i located after the fire was several lyman molds that needed a little help in one way or another--i put them in a box and shipped them to lyman--cant remember the cost but it wasnt bad. most of the problems were the wood handles on the hollowpoint pins had burnt off. give them a call
    charlie in sw mo

Boolit Buddy
    err charlie
    no hole was milled on the bottom of the block for the hollow point pin . it does not look like someone filled it in with a weld then machined the blocks back to shape. this boolit shape and weight makes sense, if you ask me. i dont know why lyman didn't offer this as a standard item . But for that matter , lyman has really suffered lately from the common desease of numbercrunchersareamajorpainittherearidis

Boolit Bub
    Charlie,

IIRC,

The old "collarbutton" bullet was used for very light loads for plinking, and in some cases by guards in prisons and stockades where overpenetration was a very legitimate concern.

I'm not sure if the collarbutton rounds replaced the old "3 round ball" guard rounds, or if it was the other way around.

According to my 1975 Lyman products catalog, it weighed 145 grains cast from Lyman #2 alloy. I could not find loading data for it, but I'll betcha somebody at Lyman products can dig out an old enough reloading manual to find it if you write to them.
    Last edited by locutus; 11-02-2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: edited to add data
    Diplomacy is the final refuge and hiding place of cowards

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=floodgate]
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie / sw mo
    well put--the corps was home to me from 1953 to 1976. however i need some info--came across two molds on my shelf today that i havent used for years--both lyman #462560(hollowpoint) and 457130(nicknamed collerbutton). i do not find these bullets in any of my manuals. ten years or so ago i was shooting a 458 win mag maby i was using the 462560 in it. hard telling. anybody use these bullets?
    charlie in sw mo[/

Charlie:

Tha #462560 "hammerhead" came in in 1962 and was dropped around 1978. It is one of the few cases where Lyman used the weight as a "cherry number" (#358156, #429215 and #429244 being the only others I know of). The #457130 "collarbutton'' (giving the same weight - more or less - as the .457 Round Ball) was one of the very early Ideal designs, showing up in Handbook #9 of 1897; it was discontinued in 1979, but a special run of them was made in 1999. I consider myself lucky to have both, but my #462560 is a solid-nose, not a HP.
    I have a 462560 without the hollow point. With WW, it drops about 542 grains, before gascheck and lube. I shoot it in my 45/70 Marlin 1895 as well as my 458 Winmag. I like it over 30 grains of Reloader 7 in the Marlin. I use the Lee FCD and crimp it to 2.55" Don't worry about crimp groove. I have not chrono'd it,but it hits like a freight train. Ask any moose hit with it.
    If you are not going to use that fine old mold, put it up for auction, I have seen them sell for as much as $125.00 for a single cavity. The only two cavity I have seen on the auction boards went for something over $200.00.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have Onceabull's #462560 solid point on loan, and it is one IMPRESSIVE boolit. I considered taking the Ruger #1 x 45-70 to Alberta with me--complete with loads using this boolit, but no mastodons have been sighted there since I was a teenager--so the 45-70 stayed home.

The boolit shoots well from my #1, its .450" bore rider fitting snugly in the .449" bore and its as-cast .462" drive bands sizing to .460" in a .459" sizer. Can you say "springback?" This seems to be a good fit in the rifle's .459" grooves. All these boolit measurements are in 92/6/2 alloy, BTW.

Launched with any significant velocity, that little 7-1/4# rifle comes right back at you with this boolit on board. I suspect a Marlin lever gun would do likewise. The Ruger #1 is sort of schizophrenic--it has the strength to enable boosted pressures and high velocity--but its weight argues convincingly against such ventures when fired.

I'm not sure all that velocity is really required in this caliber--or my rifle. Its most accurate loads have used The Holy Black or smokeless loads duplicating those ballistics. Given the downrange results and recoil dynamics, I think such indications were called "clues" where I used to work. Loads producing blackpowder ballistics are an all-day delight to shoot in this rifle, a lot like a streamside stroll catching trout. The high-end loads are like summiting Sierra peaks by comparison--lots of work, and largely done "because it's there."
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    [QUOTE=snowtigger]
    Quote Originally Posted by floodgate

I have a 462560 without the hollow point. With WW, it drops about 542 grains, before gascheck and lube. I shoot it in my 45/70 Marlin 1895 as well as my 458 Winmag. I like it over 30 grains of Reloader 7 in the Marlin. I use the Lee FCD and crimp it to 2.55" Don't worry about crimp groove. I have not chrono'd it,but it hits like a freight train. Ask any moose hit with it.
    If you are not going to use that fine old mold, put it up for auction, I have seen them sell for as much as $125.00 for a single cavity. The only two cavity I have seen on the auction boards went for something over $200.00.
    Snowtigger:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have sold too many moulds and had to buy replacements later on. Right now, I'm looking at a nice used Ruger No. 1 "Tropical" in .45-70 a friend has for sale (if I can learn to like that UGLY Alex Henry forend!) so don't want to let go permanently of any of my .45 moulds; but my single-cavity #462560 is available for short term loan to anyone here.

Floodgate

Boolit Buddy
    Snowtigger:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have sold too many moulds and had to buy replacements later on. Right now, I'm looking at a nice used Ruger No. 1 "Tropical" in .45-70 a friend has for sale (if I can learn to like that UGLY Alex Henry forend!) so don't want to let go permanently of any of my .45 moulds; but my single-cavity #462560 is available for short term loan to anyone here.

Floodgate[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean about selling molds. I have some for the 41 mag. I haven't owned of those for years. I should sell i, but, I just can't bring myself to do it. Who knows what tomorrow will bring???