RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Solvents - Back to Hoppes #9

Boolit Buddy

Hoppe's for over 50 years primarily. Some others for specific cleaning chores. Hard for me to beat Hoppe's for my cleaning needs.

Boolit Master
    I like Ed's Red the best!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Never could stand the smell of Hoppes. Generally, if it stinks so bad I can't use it in the kitchen I don't want it around (and neither does my wife). Hot soapy water works as good or better than most solvents especially on black powder. Other than that, water solubil biodegradable Slip 2000 cleaner/degreaser and carbon killer are all I use. Eezox after for corrosion prevention.

On a side note, nothing takes cosmoline and tar off better or faster than Slip 2000 cleaner/degreaser
    Last edited by Paul_R; 02-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Banned

I like the non-toxic CLPs, Ballistol and Frog Lube. I like the smell of Ballistol. It got a big boost when Hickok45 used it in his cleaning videos. All around, I have come around on Frog Lube, best rust protection when applied on warm metal and excellent lubrication and cleaning. I guess that is what makes for a great CLP. Frog Lube, along with the original non-toxic CLP, Ballistol, are all I need. No gloves needed, I hate wearing gloves and am so happy I can avoid it with these most excellent products.

Boolit Master

ballistol is some worthless stinky stuff. cant even stand being near it. as for hoppe's, the modern stuff is not very good unless you want to let it soak for weeks at a time. butch's bore shine, and a few others are so much better at cleaning a bore that its not even funny.

Boolit Buddy

Have used about all of the products mentioned here, have setteled on Ed' red. I have used a ton of Ballistol years ago and was not impressed. (Funny though how some love , and some hate the smell) A good cleaner, and rust preventative , is Birchwood Casey Barricade. The company touts it as a lube, but I don't use it as such. It does not remove jacket fouling ( of course nobody here uses jacketed) The scuttlebutt is that Ballistol is non toxic, and some of the folks who first imported it, drank the stuff and clamed all kind of benefits , not mentioning that the spray cans used Benzine as a carrier, which I believe is carcinogenic. Kids don't try this at home!!
    FWIW

Banned

Ballistol can be used as an antiseptic for a wound.
    I would not drink it. Sheath and Barricade are my best to prevent rust but they are not "cleaners."
    Ed's red has not proven to be better then the cheapest cleaner. I used it a lot and the next pass with Hoppe's removed a ton of crud. Ed's might protect a bore but it is a sad cleaner. ATF is a good product but does not clean a gun, it stops rust better.

In Remembrance

I`m down to my last 2 brown glass chemical 1/2 gal. jugs of old formula Hoppe`s #9. I bought 4 of the steel 1 gal. drums of it back in the `80`s when I heard they were going another route on the formula. I had a supply of heavy brown glass lab 1/2 gal. jugs I transferred the drums into. I also still use old formula Shooters Choice that I bought a `few jugs` of back then.Robert

I was sold on M-Pro 7 until I found Fire Clean. Pretty much clean the gun first and basically wipe it off and done the next range day. I use Remington bore cleaner to clean a really dirty cylinder face first, then Fire Clean it and maybe use a bronze brush for the face if necessary. JMHO

I also like Butch's and Sweets outdoors on the range for break-in of new or "adoption" of older hi-power rifle. A nice warm afternoon on range with a soft breeze to carry off those obnoxious smells as you visit with friends between shots and cleaning strokes to the latest acquisition. Can't wait for Spring!

Old #9 here as well.

Boolit Grand Master

After reading about Ed' Red bore solvent for a long time, I downloaded the instructions, a little poking around the garage and shed I found everything for it. I don't have the Red dyed Kerosene but I do have clear kerosene for hurricane lamps and will use it , should work just as well .
    Now I need to go dirty up a barrel and give it a try !

I found out what Marvel Mystery Oil is ....mineral oil and Stoddards Solvent , which is basically Dry Cleaning Fluid, or at least that is what it's original use was for. My Daddy was a believer in the stuff...I inherited three one gallon cans from him. I use it to clean rusty part parts and as a light gun oil.
    Gary

I started using Ed's Red just because I had the fixin's around the garage. I've grown to like it a lot and haven't seen the need for anything else. I will add that I recently uncovered a box of gun stuff in the garage that included bottles of both Shooter's Choice and Hoppes that I had purchased in the mid '80s. I decided that I would experiment with all three. Not trying to be scientific by any means but neither removed anything further after I had cleaned with Ed's. I would imagine one should go with what his Wife complains least about smelling.

Boolit Master

I like Shooters Choice better than Hoppes.

Boolit Master

I use some Hoppe's, which I believe is mostly kerosene, Ballistol, it got the German Army through two world wars, and for stubborn copper fowling, Sweet's 7.62.

Used a lot of CLP, but now went to Mobil 1 Syn. motor oil for lube/ rust prevention.

I have a mix of BP firearms and smokeless.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Ballistol, it got the German Army through two world wars.....
    Really? They lost both times. Just saying. Did both use the stuff?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OilyPablo View Post
    Really? They lost both times. Just saying. Did both use the stuff?
    They didn't loose because of their firearms. It was in use by the German Army in both wars.http://www.ballistol-shop.de/History...ml?language=en

If it could keep a Spandau, Maxim or a Mg 42 running, it was a good product
    Last edited by Hickok; 02-15-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    I'm in the Ballistol completely sucks for cleaning, lubing and preserving camp. I wonder if they didn't use other oils as well.

Boolit Master
    Hate the smell Hoppe's...will only use it outdoors. Can't wait till the 16 ounce bottle, I bought thirty years ago, is history. I prefer Shooter's Choice or Butch's. Kroil and J-B Bore Shine, alternately, once in a while.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OilyPablo View Post
    Really? They lost both times.
    I knew there had to be a reason, mystery solved!