Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee cast iron vs Rockchucker Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbuck View Post
    Really the big question is how well both presses will work with quick change bushings? I am trying to keep my adjustments down to a minimum between dies and different calibers.
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of the quick change bushing, so take this with a small grain of propellant. prior to quick change bushings, I would set the die, then use a Hornady style lock ring. The type of ring that locks to the die. At that point, it was just a matter of spinning the die down to the lock ring and that was it. Sizing dies were particularly easy, you just grip the de-capping pin between two fingers and spin. Once you commit to quick change, you need the same style on all your presses. Lee quick changes don't interchange with Hornady. We went from standard dies which could be used on any modern press, to proprietary bushings that lock you to a specific vendor. I'm not sure that's progress. If you end up later with a progressive, you need new sets of dies or have to remove and replace them in the bushings.

One last thing, since the distance of the ram (at the raised position) to the bottom of the frame top is likely to change between presses, i'd be surprised if you could keep the same setting. If you had multiples of the same press, it might work.
    Last edited by dudel; 01-27-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    dudel................. excellent points.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post

One last thing, since the distance of the ram (at the raised position) to the bottom of the frame top is likely to change between presses, i'd be surprised if you could keep the same setting. If you had multiples of the same press, it might work.

Once you figure out the difference, between the two, or more... an arbor shim of the appropriate thickness under the adapter bushing will dial this in.

Boolit Master

I have 4 presses, 2 Lee classic cast, 1 Lyman Spartan turret and my original Redding heavy C single station press. As a former shop owner I had many presses and this is what I kept. However, as for dies and other things RCBS gets the best results IMHO.

I like stuff that works with out drama and there other than the presses are at the top IMHO.

Again I will use what works for the best cost, I have dies from 4 company's and they do what I want then. Having to keep sending stuff back does not make any manufacture a favorite.

I also will not send back a used item to one for free fix as I will always pay them after wood.

Boolit Master
    Haven't tried Lee. Love my RCBS press, powder measure and scale--very flexible for all the types I load (38 Special, 9x18 Makarov, 32 Winchester Special, 30-30, and 30-06 for my Garand).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbuck View Post
    Really the big question is how well both presses will work with quick change bushings? I am trying to keep my adjustments down to a minimum between dies and different calibers.
    I have used both presses with the Hornady Quick change bushings. They both work equally well. You install the die in a bushing, mount it in the press, adjust the die, lock the die in the bushing. When you're done with the die, remove it and bushing from the press. When you reinstall it in the press, the press with die are ready to go. No new adjustments needed on the die.

People will argue till their blue in the face, but what you will consistently see is when both presses are bought by someone and both presses used on the bench, the buyer generally keeps the Lee and sells the RCBS. That's not to say the RCBS is a bad press. It is a very good one. The Lee is simply a more modern design of the RCBS with improvements. It really is that simple.

Banned

^^^ This is what I am seeing as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    -----------------

The Lee is simply a more modern design of the RCBS with improvements. --------------.

What are the improvements of the Lee?

I've never worked with this press before, you now have my curiosity.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    I had a USA made Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast on my bench for three months comparing them with no bias, as I like both companies. I still have the Lee, the RC has been sold long ago. The Lee was simply the better press.

Sold my Rock Chucker, that had been around since the late 80's...after trying the Classic Cast.

Banned

"What are the improvements of the Lee?"

I was only referring to the fact that most of the posts I read, where someone has both the RC and the CC, they more often than not find the CC better and chuck the Chucker. This is from Lee's site and is obviously biased, but no doubt there is some fact mixed in there

Classic Cast Press

Classic Cast Press
    The largest opening in the industry and the longest stroke -- yet handle is adjustable to provide the least travel of any press. Rigid cast iron construction in a classic "O" design for maximum strength. Baked powder coating is durable and makes the Classic Cast a handsome addition to any reloading bench. Adjustable handle is movable side to side for left or right hand operation. Start and stop position is adjustable with a 48-tooth ratchet type handle clamp. In addition, the handle length is completely adjustable. Shorten it when loading handgun and short rifle cases. Automatic primer arm with bottom of stroke priming for best feel. Includes two primer arms for large and small primers. No more fumbling with tiny guides and springs. Largest 1 1/8 diameter hollow ram to catch every primer with hose fitting to allow primer disposal directly to a trash can. Supported by over 12 square inches of ram bearing surface. Threaded die adapter accepts standard 7/8-14 dies, remove and the press accepts 1 1/4-12 large series dies. Powerful compound linkage with positive travel stop prevents pres toggle "cam over." Accepts standard shell holders, ram insert can be rotated to allow primer installation on right or left side.

Boolit Buddy
    So a smoking deal came my way which I couldn't pass up shot my budget until I sell off some stuff. I have like 11 Months to decide and sell junk off. It's part of the fun. I think I'll try out both presses if I can at a class or at the FFLs.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Jmort! Looks like good features and benefits.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    What are the improvements of the Lee?

I've never worked with this press before, you now have my curiosity.
    Well, I'll answer. The priming is greatly improved, the priming arm doesn't get in the way like it can on my RC. The other thing is the spent primers and their dirt go out an aquarium tube out the bottom, instead of "maybe" into the cup on the RC, and the dirt all over the ram.

The Lee is also a little bit bigger, with more hand clearance.

I didn't sell my RC. I have them set up 3 in a row, RC-Lee-Lee for assembly-line style precision rifle reloading. For handgun, I have a progressive. I use threaded inserts not anyone's quick change system, just my personal preference.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a pair of RC's as my single stage presses, one was old and well used when I got in 1982, it's still going strong.
    My range box holds an rcbs partner press, used less and lighter weight, but again still going strong 30+ years.

I might try the cast lee if I need another, but I'm probably going to be at least another decade getting the taste of their PRO 1000 *** out of my mouth.

Just my .02

Boolit Master

Also to break a cast iron press how???? almost 50 years loading and never had no matter who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Also to break a cast iron press how???? almost 50 years loading and never had no matter who made it.
    Use it as a swaging press, that's how to break even the best cast iron presses. That said, if you're doing standard reloading, the cast irons are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    I use a pair of RC's as my single stage presses, one was old and well used when I got in 1982, it's still going strong.
    My range box holds an rcbs partner press, used less and lighter weight, but again still going strong 30+ years.

I might try the cast lee if I need another, but I'm probably going to be at least another decade getting the taste of their PRO 1000 *** out of my mouth.

Just my .02
    One press has nothing to do with the other. One was Dad's design, the other was son's design.

Boolit Master

I got to go with the Lee Classic Cast. Didn't see the extra price on the Chucker was worth it.

And as someone that was taught to reload metallic from here a long time ago, I started with Lee, and still with them. But I'm no companies fanboy. I have different shades of greens and reds on my bench. Just added a splash of blue even!
    Good stuff is good stuff. I don't color coordinate.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Lee for primer disposal. Once you have one w/ a hollow ram the catch cups are just stupid. As far as lasting. People swage w/ the Lee Classic Cast. Far be it from me to tell others how to spend their money. But paying more for a press because of the name on it foolish.
    + 1

I have a Classic Cast which was purchased when they first came out. It's still prefect. The Hollow ram (yes, a Redding Innovation) primer disposal is sweet. It's the only single stage press a man will ever need.

I did did have the toggle piece/ handle attachment part on my 35 Y/O RCBS luber-sizer break (spot weld broke) RCBS sent out a free Repair part ASAP
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I doubt you'd break any casting out there; but a press is much more than the casting.

Breaking/bending pins, linkage arms, shellholder slots will also take a press out of action. Lee had some problems with the linkage arms; but I don't think it was on the Classic Cast press.