Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight for self defense

Boolit Buddy

Can you carry a cane? Yes it is an ADA approved medical device and you can even carry it on the plane. A little martial arts training and a cane can be very effective.
    Noli Me Tangere

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hello Folks,

Where I work the morons in charge have outlawed almost all means of self defense. I'm responsible for about 20-30 young people at a time, and have no way to protect them if another Cho comes on campus and starts killing students. Weapons of almost all types are completely forbidden.

My question, while off topic for this forum (I apologize), is nevertheless within the spirit. How effective can a powerful flashlight be at momentarily disabling an assailant? Would 700-800 lumens be enough, in the daytime, to disorient him long enough for my students and I to disarm him?

All solid information and thoughtful opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Moderators, if this is too far outside the guidelines, please delete.

Thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom,I too work in a similar environment and I discreetly disobey the rules,while I do not carry a gun,there are alternatives. I hope you find something that works for you too.
    ​Je suis Charlie

I will second the can of wasp spray... better then mase and shoots much further. Someone that gets wasp spray in their eyes have to go to a Dr to get treatment, washing out doesnt help. Have a 6 cell maglight to back it up.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625290bc66057bad138ee1485a71c937.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	159699
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Once in a while when the five year old 'needs' a flashlight to find something, he uses my 700 lumen edc light. Having had that shone in my direction from across the room, I can confidently say I would have a lot of trouble shooting accurately with that amount of light pointing at me while indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hello Folks,

Where I work the morons in charge have outlawed almost all means of self defense. I'm responsible for about 20-30 young people at a time, and have no way to protect them if another Cho comes on campus and starts killing students. Weapons of almost all types are completely forbidden.

My question, while off topic for this forum (I apologize), is nevertheless within the spirit. How effective can a powerful flashlight be at momentarily disabling an assailant? Would 700-800 lumens be enough, in the daytime, to disorient him long enough for my students and I to disarm him?

All solid information and thoughtful opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Moderators, if this is too far outside the guidelines, please delete.

Thank you.

Tom
    I doubt that's enough light. I just installed an 850 lumen floodlight on my shed. It's enough light for nighttime but I wouldn't call it blinding and certainly not incapacitating. Daytime, I'd think I'd barely notice it. As others said a daytime flashlight is probably best used as a club.

Boolit Buddy
    Using a flashlight for the light, wouldn't that only be effective if shined in the eyes at night? I have a very bright light a nephew gave me. Say's Duracell on it, made of heavy aluminum and use's 4 C cell battery's. I think if you got the light in the eye's a night it would certainly slow you down. But it is fairly heavy and large and won't carry well in a pocket. A cane in daylight would seem better than a flashlight, more mobile for carrying and I'd think better for standing off a bit. Good hardwood or bamboo. But if your really concerned about you or your kids being attacked, I'd either find a different job or carry a light weight, small concealed carry gun. If for some reason you actually were in a defense mode with your kids and there's multiple attacker's, flashlight might bust a head if you get in a shot but if the attacker is bigger and stronger, you might get your own head bashed. Sad the school won't allow you to carry something small and indiscreet! In Europe I had a very small Beretta 22RF. Had a magazine and the barrel poped up for loading right into the barrel. I could carry it in a pocket and no one could tell it was there. If your really concerned about an attack, go to win or stay home!

Consider a can of wasp and hornet spray. It's innocent enough but sprays at least 12 feet and is as effective as pepper spray in the eyes and face. I teach in a vocational school and keep on on my desk. It fits right in with the other debris on my desk. It has never been questioned by the administration.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Desk or chairs are useless against bullets, OTH a blind person without training can't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Exactly, and so is a beam of light...useless...both are at best a distraction. At least the flying school chair will force him to move out of the way. You still have to escape or close and disarm the subject. You don't need much training to fire at a light source...especially if it is close. All I have had experience with is 50,000 cp Streamlights and during the daylight across the room they are irritating at best....not blinding.
    The first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun!

All jokes aside, a flashlight even used as a club is useless in the daytime. Unless you are 3 feet away or less most hand held weapons are useless against an active shooter. About the only thing you would or could have going for you would be a surprise attack. So yes wasp spray, pepper spray, or even a really big heavy broom handle would be much better than a flashlight. I think that I would prefer a police grade Tazer, but that most likely wouldn't be allowed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    A 6 "D" Maglite will top a Stream light for self defense any day. Only if you use it as a club, that is.
    That was going to be my suggestion. Blind him and then whack him with that heavy club. maglite were never that bright to me but you could always find it when you needed.

Boolit Master

When I go walking,I use a walking stick that is about 5ft in length to use.You can ward off dogs and humans with it.For those that remember your punji stick training in the service you know how to use the stick in a proper manner.It won't diplace bullets but will keep a person at distance.You punch with it and not swing it like a club.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    After the Cho shooting, deadbolt locks were installed in VA Tech classrooms to bolt the door after the bell rang.

If you were late to class, most professors would NOT let you in, peep hole or no peep hole.

One prof well known to me has a firm rule.

Once late, a warning.

Twice late, complete an extra assignment to pass the course.

Three times late, you have dropped the class.

I think a good rule and an INEXPENSIVE security measure!

Outpost75, formerly of Mike Company, VA Tech Corps of Cadets, graduating class of 1971.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I guess my other thought is have you thought about a vest?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

As an LEO I used both C and D cell flash lights numerous times (can't even estimate the numbers) to blind or disable a miscreant or other violence prone person. While department policy mandated the Koga Stick or later the side handle baton to strike with, you used what was immediately at hand in an emergency so the Kell or Streamlight sometimes got the nod.

Used properly, they'll drop a perp right now without any permanent damage to him. If deadly force is not needed and they are used improperly in a non life threatening situation, they can be construed as a deadly weapon and result in bad times in court for you.

Bottom line: If you are prohibited from carrying a firearm at school or place of employment like the OP, then a metal flashlight is a good option and is probably legal in almost all jurisdictions. If you do opt for one, learn to use it properly if you intend to strike with it and understand which blows will constitute deadly force or permanent damage and use those blows only in a life threatening situation.

I think that you'll find a flashlight is easier to carry around than a chair.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Exactly, and so is a beam of light...useless...both are at best a distraction. At least the flying school chair will force him to move out of the way. You still have to escape or close and disarm the subject. You don't need much training to fire at a light source...especially if it is close. All I have had experience with is 50,000 cp Streamlights and during the daylight across the room they are irritating at best....not blinding.
    The first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun!
    I can almost bet that you would suffer permanent retina damage from a high output flashlight. That is what the OP is asking about, not a club, a blinding light. A blind man can only guess when shooting, unless they have been blind for years and use sound. Some flashlights are so strong they start fires, they will permanently damage a person's eye sight. That is why I suggested a 2000 lumen light, of course since he cannot carry a firearm or other dangerous weapons, might you be suggesting begging instead?

Wrap some duct tape around your eyes and then try to hit a silhouette.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

a cane built for self defense with some training can be very effective and a big surprise to an assailant. Most have forgotten the uses for a cane besides helping you walk. I use a can for mobility reasons Its walnut cut into 3/4" square by 34" long pievece glued together to form the tapered octagon shaft. Finished shaft is 3/4" at tip and tapers up to 1 3/8 under handle its polished up and a hand rubbed oil finish. The handle is a 2 1/2" ball behind the boss the shaft tennon is glued into. This is a solid cane that dosnt flex or give. Jabbing poking or stapping would be quite effective. grasping the shaft half way or so and swinging using the Ball handle to impact should break bones. If weight ( or being able to fly with it dosnt matter then a few ounces of lead could be inserted into the handle also. I made mine for me to use to help with mobility issues first. But it looks good and dosnt stand out in a store or public setting. The only metal in mine is the washer in the rubber tip. After 8-10 years of use I need to sand it down and refinish it. A traditional wood for canes from Ireland is blackthorn. It is a very solid tightgrained heavy wood. Done traditionally the spurs are left on the shaft these are spikes roughly 2" long, but left on they are hard on upolstery and pants legs. Last time I check a piece suitable for a walking stick was almost $200.00 for the blank. rough cut to length only. The cane is a forgotten defense tool. a book corner, rolled magazine used to jab, a flag pole if a flag is displayed in the class room.

Boolit Master
    The wasp spray is supposed to be effective and has more range than pepper spray. Can't be called a weapon, just a can of bug spray.

Did anyone else see the video of a clerk using bug spray and a lighter as a flame thrower on armed robbers? His only mistake was not letting them get a little closer so that they would have been set on fire. But they did go flying back tail over tea kettle. Also since it does not disable unless doing damage it was less than effective against two assailants. Eventually one of the perps had him covered by a gun while he was shooting a flame at the other.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat