RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to kill a farm pig, what to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Here is the one that got the .44 mag 270 grain Ranch Dog over 6 grains of Red Dot, clean pass through.

Wow the 90s called and want their shirt back.

Lol Bacon

Are we killing T-Ret or just a pig? Killed a few pigs in my time never wrote my brother about it why here.

Boolit Master

All went well. I went with the Lee .358 158 grain SWC GC cast out of ACWW over a moderate dose of Herco out of the 6" Taurus 66. Haven't chronoed it but it was probaby between 1100-1200 fps. Dropped some corn on the ground and shot him behind the ear angling towards the brain. He dropped instantly and bled well from the stick. The boolit passed clean through with no evidence of break up and no excessive gore. Upon examination, the skull had several large cracks. The Berkshire x Hampshire pig weighed in at 325 lbs. and yielded a gracious plenty of fine pork and frying lard. Pics to follow...

Banned
    when you are butchering you want to stun the animal so the heart pumps out as much blood as possible after you open the throat. A 22 works well

Boolit Master

Have a few more pics but nothing is cooperating...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    kill the pig clean the pig eat the pig Pretty simple eint'it Hope you enjoy your labors
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I have to pass this one on. It was told to me by someone that saw it. Local bunch that ran around together and drank bought a hog they were going to butcher. Nobody had a gun so one of them gets the chain saw out and a couple of them grab the hog by the ears and cut its throat with the chainsaw.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    I have to pass this one on. It was told to me by someone that saw it. Local bunch that ran around together and drank bought a hog they were going to butcher. Nobody had a gun so one of them gets the chain saw out and a couple of them grab the hog by the ears and cut its throat with the chainsaw.
    Nawh, couldn't happen... Obviously they were rednecks and there's no way that a bunch of rednecks wouldn't have at least ONE gun...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70bpcr View Post
    Reminds me of my neighbor that raised 50 broilers this summer. When they were rounded up to go to the processor one escaped but didn't go far. She is now very large from sharing dog food and best buddies with their big coon hound. They even sleep in the box together.

Attachment 156884

Ha, tonights dinner was a turkey that showed up at my house that way. City farmer is up during the summer and raises veggies for his wife's NYC hoi palloi restaurant. The also raised about 80 turkeys. About a week before Christmas one walks behind the house and I assumed it was a wild turkey until I looked again an hour later. Anyhow I go looking for city farmer and his place is all closed up and all the turkeys were gone. Figured he butchered them for holiday meals at the restaurant. Look for him for two weeks while feeding the guy my chicken feed. He was a bit of a bother harassing my chickens but I liked him. Well between it getting too cold for him and the fact he started flying up to my roof and picking at my shingles I put him down and dressed him for dinner. BTW since he was awful hawky I couldn't get close to him. I shot him with the marlin 39a. I would have rather coned and cut but I can't run fast enough.

Perma-Banned
    22 magnum gets my vote, my dad slaughtered for a living and that's all he used, from sheep, goats, hogs, beef, to buffalo. One shot between the Running lights

Boolit Master
    If he has raised a pig he probably lives in a rural area where there is little danger from ricochets. A .22 LR to the forehead has always done it for my family for three generations. My wife's family does not have a gun so they hold the pig down while one of them sticks a knife in its neck cutting the carotid artery. Both ways are quick with no suffering.

Boolit Master
    You don't need to be a redneck to own either a gun or a pig.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    .22 between the eyes a little high. End of story.

Yep, this. Sure works on my hogs just great. Keep em relaxed and pull the trigger and they hit the dirt without hardly a twitch.

Congrats on that nice looking hog too by the way, they are sure good eating! Love the difference from store bought, to the animals that we raised, much better. Not only that but they had a great life too, really able to enjoy their pigness, and brought to a quick and humane end.
    Last edited by NLS1; 01-30-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageMan2506 View Post
    I've heard ball peen hammers work in a pinch, but we always use .22 lr solids. I agree that the 357 would be good because of the rrlative speed and knockdown power, without fragmenting too badly. Good luck, and have fun.
    The ball peen hammer works great on our goats, drop like a sack of potatoes, and then allows you to slit their jugular, and I will tell ya, there is hardly a drop of blood left after doing it that way. Haven't tried it with the hogs, pretty big animal to have that go poorly, so I use the .22

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
    The ball peen hammer works great on our goats, drop like a sack of potatoes, and then allows you to slit their jugular, and I will tell ya, there is hardly a drop of blood left after doing it that way. Haven't tried it with the hogs, pretty big animal to have that go poorly, so I use the .22
    When I was younger we had a killing time on the farm. Most of the hogs were shot with a 22, then stuck. Some were picked out for head cheese and got stuck only. Steers were killed with a ball hammer then stuck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    You don't need to be a redneck to own either a gun or a pig.
    OK... You failed to understand the logical reasoning of my post... I'm not saying that if you own a gun or a pig you are a redneck. I'm saying that if you consider a chainsaw as an acceptable method of killing a pig, then you are probably a redneck. I'm also saying that it is unlikely that you will find a "bunch" of them and that not a single one of them owned a gun.

Nothing wrong with being a redneck. Hell, my wife accuses me of being one. I suspect that she's just mistaking "obnoxious S-O-B" with "redneck" though.

Boolit Mold
    I think that the best tasting and best for you meat is either something you raised yourself, meaning farmer with chicken, cattle, sheep.... or something you shot yourself. Wild game is guaranteed not to have any added hormones or anything else like these giant meat producers. Not saying they are bad companies, I just like to know what my food has been and most likely lived through.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing prevents your deer from munching on GMO crops. All natural? Maybe should rethink that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Nothing prevents your deer from munching on GMO crops. All natural? Maybe should rethink that.
    If you would put a little thought to it, you'd realize Mother Nature has been doing Genetic Modification since time began. Nothing wrong with GMO'd products, period. You're thinking just like a brainless Liberal if you think GMO is bad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Why not Give the poor animal a Break . and just buy your Pork from The supermarket like most people
    Well it's obvious that you've never raised your own, grained that sucker until you had 2-3" minimum of back fat (I like a 300 pounder), had your hams & bacon cured & smoked, without "water added BS" & had chops you could cut with a fork & actually tasted like pork should!

I've killed them with 22s & 44s. Hit them in the right place & anything works. Lot less mess with a 22.