RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor

Boolit Master

1873 Springfield Trapdoor

Have been trying to increase my collection of late with more 'history' for lack of a better term. Trying to get away from reproductions and wish to add the real deal to my collection where financially feasible. Recently noticed an ole trapdoor at my lgs and am considering laying it away (they have it priced just shy of 800 and notoriously refuse to budge). Bore is in nice condition and trap feels nice and tight when open. Had them send over a few pics which I will post below.

I am tending to think they are a bit high, but as there are so many variables on the Springfields I figured I would seek out those with far more experience concerning the subject. Not new to the 45-70 gov't, but am new to the Springfield Trapdoor and figured I would seek out some good honest opinions on this example.

I am combing the internet and reading good information as well and plan to order the Joe Poyer book on the subject later today. As a history major I naturally love to learn all I can about all of my firearms and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share what you can. Talking about these classics with like minded enthusiasts is part of the enjoyment after all!

Thanks in advance gents,
    Kev

Attachment 158935Attachment 158936Attachment 158937Attachment 158938Attachment 158939Attachment 158940Attachment 158941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	158942Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	158943Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	158944
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 01-24-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	158945Click image for larger version. 

Views:	22 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	158946Click image for larger version. 

Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	158947Click image for larger version. 

Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	158948
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Strongly suggest you get "Trapdoor Springfield" by Ernst & Waite.

Looks like your rifle was manufactured in late 1884.

I don't currently own a Trapdoor but like you I prefer the originals. I don't think you paid too much all things considered. Seems an awful lot of them go for $1,000+.

Photo from 1887 Crow Agency Montana. One of those could be YOUR rifle.

Boolit Master
    Is that rifle in ME?
    Last edited by Battis; 01-24-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    Go to this site and study the arms that are for sale. Should give you an idea of the value of the rifle. Lots of very good information on the site and a very good source of rifles.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/springfieldarms.html

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    Go to this site and study the arms that are for sale. Should give you an idea of the value of the rifle. Lots of very good information on the site and a very good source of rifles.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/springfieldarms.html

Jerry Liles
    thanks for the link!

Wow ,That's very interesting site ive been want to get one one these the level gun is fun looking for a change .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

1873 Trapdoor

The books suggested are good ones for your library.

The rifle is indeed a Model 1873 with the modifications of 1879. Those include the updated rear sight, short wrist stock and from the photo, probably the low arch breech block. I personally prefer the 1878 or 1879 sights (one of which is on the rifle your desire) to the later Buffington sight that is found on the 1884 and 1888 Trapdoors.

Sadly there was not a good photo of the various proofs and stock markings. Collectors like those to be readable and untouched and well preserved markings will add to the asking price of a Trapdoor. For shooters, it doesn't matter. My shooting Trapdoor's stock markings are indistinct at best and it came at a bargain price as a result.

I note that the front sight is not original. This is not uncommon and indicates that a previous owner installed a higher front sight so that the rifle would zero with smokeless powder. BP and smokeless zeros for trapdoors are quite different and thus the higher sight for smokeless. My shooting Trapdoor rifle enjoys such a front sight for smokeless powder.

If you buy this rifle, there is lots of reloading info here in past threads. The bore condition of the rifle will be your key to either enjoyment or frustration. These were BP rifles while in service and they were well taken care of by soldiers for the most part, but the wooden barracks cleaning rods used were hard on the crown and the end of the rifling due to dirty wood scraping against the soft metal of the barrel. While soldiers generally took good care of their weapons and kept the bores from rusting, that can not be said for many of the civilians that bought them for a song post WWI. Many of our members report good shooting with pitted barrels, but obviously better shooting is to be had with a good bore. Check that bore before you spend $800 on it.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-24-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf