RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ruger air rifles?

Boolit Master
    Rugers and Remingtons are kinda crappy and made in China, the cheapest that I would go would be Diana 34.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Rugers and Remingtons are kinda crappy and made in China, the cheapest that I would go would be Diana 34.
    The Diana 34 is too big for a young kid.the Diana 24 is good but hard to find.I had a pair of the Stoeger X3's and the we're very good for chineese guns.they would both do all pellets touching at 10 meters and slip cans at 25.
    Last edited by cbashooter; 01-14-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cbashooter View Post
    The Diana 34 is too big for a young kid.the Diana 24 is good but hard to find.I had a pair of the Stoeger X3's and the we're very good for chineese guns.they would both do all pellets touching at 10 meters and slip cans at 25.
    The HW99 might be worth a look. The .22 version is meant to be a really nice shooter at 12ftlb. It is designed for smaller frames.

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger in .177: after 1 summer I named it "Rabbit's Regret".
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    The HW99 might be worth a look. The .22 version is meant to be a really nice shooter at 12ftlb. It is designed for smaller frames.
    Not sure that's available on this side of the pond.

Boolit Bub
    My 9 year old has been shooting a Stoeger x3 for a couple of years. Only thing I have done to it is cut a chamfer on the chamber to make the pellets easier to load.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The Ruger Yukon is just a clone of the Umarex Octane. (or vice versa) The only difference is that the Ruger has a wooden stock while the Octane has the synthetic stock.

I own and shoot a Umarex Octane and I've been extremely happy with it. A friend of mine owns a Yukon that he uses to shoot squirrels with at his winter home up in northern Arizona. Both brands are assembled by the same little chinese kids and both of these air rifles (at least the ones I've shot) appear to be well made.

It's inevitable that a certain percentage of all these air guns made will find their way into the hands of end users who are not happy with them. My only gripe with mine was that it weighed a tad over nine pounds out of the box and once you put a scope on it, it may be a little on the heavy side for a child. The Ruger Yukon weighs a little less due to the wooden stock.

I put peep sites on my Umarex Octane and I have no problem hitting feral pigeons out to sixty yards. It came with a scope but because of the weight I opted not to use it. With a pellet gun that I use for pigeon shooting my effective range doesn't go beyond those sixty yards. That's as far as I can confidently make consistent kill shots. Beyond that I'm just wasting pellets; with or without a scope.

Wanting to stay with the Ruger brand is a sign of customer loyalty. There's nothing wrong with that; nothing at all. Things generally cost a little more when a known brand is embossed on it; even if the item is just a clone of several different brands.

Why don't you ask the child in question what he would like? Remember when we were kids and we got our first BB gun or pellet gun? We didn't really care about the brand. We were just happy to have what are folks bought us. I'd be hard pressed to number all of he sparrow, doves, pigeon, etc. that I killed with my first daisy BB gun. Same when I graduated to my pump master pellet/bb gun. Neither gun was particularly known for accuracy but when I was a kid I shot those air guns so much that I figured out how to shoot accurately with them despite the fact that they weren't the most accurate air guns available.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 01-16-2016 at 10:14 PM.

I've had good luck with my Ruger Air Magnum. It's definitely not a kids gun and takes some strength to cock. That aside, it'll rip through a coon using Beeman Silver arrows and the Crosman Premier Super Magnum domes shoot well for squirrel and chipmunk removal. Definitely not a Match grade accuracy, but I'm pretty satisfied and killed like 15 critters this past summer. For $135, there's not too many out there that have it's power level in my research. I just cannot see paying $300 plus for a plinker and pest killer. I knew it was an Umarex made item for Ruger, but I've had good luck with my other Rugers, so decided to try it. I don't use a scope, however, so have no comment on it's damaging scopes. I removed the "rail" thing they mounted the scope it came with on also and use the fiberoptic sights.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I realize all the Chinese air rifles and pistols are nothing other than crappy, just as are all the laptops and I pads we all use!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned
    True,I dont mind some of their airguns.most are copies of German guns and with a little love come alive.

Boolit Man
    yukon is a gas rammed b25...... octane is a gas rammed b28...two completely different guns. b28 is a long stroke magnum with much more power and harder to shoot well

Boolit Master
    Declared war on grackles. No. 12 rat shot from my 22 proved to be too noisy. I bought a Ruger Air Hawk from walmart. Nice rifle with just open sights. I hunted every weekend in the backyard. I like my little break action Ruger!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Banned
    I own a ruger air hawk and mine will out shoot my buddy's diana 34, with his own hand. He was saying they were junk so so let him shoot it and he out shot his own gun. I did a trigger job on it no fist stage, less than a # pull, great gun ,i have shot at 10 yrds, 3 shot group one hole.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought the Ruger Impact in .22 caliber. Yes, made in China under license. The Ruger I have has a fantastic scope mount. My Gamo, on the other hand, I paid more than $300.00 for, has such a crappy scope mount, I took that 3-9x40 scope and placed it on my Ruger. My .22 Ruger blowes through 1/2" plywood from 25 yards away with authority. I really like mine. Its a good, cost alternative to spending money on firearm ammunition. My wife and I raise chickens, so once in a while I'll zip a rat from out the back window of the barn, lol!

I found out, some of the more expensive air guns are a solid waste of money. I'll never own another Gamo.

Boolit Master
    Great feedback guys...