Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMCD Products
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Thread: making a rifle rack

Boolit Master

making a rifle rack

I'm gonna make something similar to this

Got 90% of hte design down on paper. But the critical question is:

What angle should it be when fully open? I have no idea.

In Remembrance

I would guess about 30 degrees.Robert

It appears to be about 15 degrees off vertical.

Boolit Master

That is a down right pro job. You should be proud!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

You just want us to droul over the powder in the background. Nice looking rack.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

not my racks, or my shop. From another builder, I was impressed, and want to replicate.

If you want to drool over my powder, you can go ahead.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 01-08-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Boolit Man
    Make the rack adjustable to 2 or 3 different angles . . Shouldn't be hard to do .
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

Hamilton Felix, Beyond this Horizon by Robert Heinlein

Boolit Master

I could do that, but im on a "fit everything perfect" kick right now, so I wanna make the legs sit flat on the floor, make a full-engagement stop (and not use a chain), etc. I have it all drawn up and I like it. I just don't know what angle to plug in.

I'll see if I can mock up something at 30 degrees as recommended and see how that looks.

you guys think each leg should be equal? both 15 degrees off vertical? or if I go 30, should it be offset, like 20/10 or something similar?

(from a funtional standpoint, that might be overthinking it, but from an aesthetic perspective, the finer details really make the finished product...

but from an aesthetic perspective, the finer details really make the finished product...
    In that case you shouldn't be asking opinions and build it to the angle you want.

Aesthetics, or what some people find pleasing to the eye can vary widely. Look at the history of automobiles for example, then again a '75 Pacer owner might not post in a thread regarding aesthetics anyway...

Boolit Master
    You might consider making it so that the legs are at 15 degrees from vertical but with the bottom rails high enough that you could change the angle to 10 degrees if you wanted to later.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Bub

Mock up the A frame body, attach the butt board by one screw at the desired height. Adjust the rear brace to desired angle, then attach the butt board with other fasteners at the desired angle. This will allow you to adjust all the angles to what pleases your eye.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    not my racks, or my shop. From another builder, I was impressed, and want to replicate.

If you want to drool over my powder, you can go ahead.

Is that a six pack of simpler times at the bottom? That's some good stuff for the price.
    "RCBS, Pacific, Lyman and many others furnish excellent dies and tools, but you must furnish the gray matter to produce perfect hand loads."

-Elmer Keith, Guns & Ammo, January 1982

Boolit Master

And another 18 pack in the beer fridge there. It's awful stuff, but for cigar night in the shop when buddies come over, it's either expensive scotch, very expensive beer, or nothing compliments a cigar and it overblows most flavors anyways, so cheap beer is acceptable. And I can't afford expensive scotch or expensive beer all the time.

Of course, the day after cigar night, the shop always smells better after scotch and cigars, than with beer and cigars. Go figure.

Boolit Master

So, I bought the walnut yesterday. I was "torn", since this rack is a simple garage fixture. That implies it should be made of pine, doug fir, or plywood, with a machine screw and lock nut for a hinge. simple joinery. On the other hand, I've had a hankering for making something nice, as I just went through a bunch of "lowes" quality baltic birch for some shop fixtures. So I bought walnut, but I bought all the "unsellable" stuff from the store cause it was just a little too light, undesirable, etc. For this application, doesn't bother me.

It'll be walnut, with a nice machined brass hinge, but simple joinery. Also decided to simplify the parts profiles for utility. Got the walnut for a steal, I think the guy was happy to get rid of it, and I didn't haggle at all. He volunteered the nice price

I have a couple strips cut and have been playing with it. It looks like my plans are for a shorter rack with smaller legs. To get the same open base, I will end up needing 25 degrees from vertical. It should work....

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. very helpful commentary from everybody, and I appreciate it.

In Remembrance
    I could do that, but im on a "fit everything perfect" kick right now, so I wanna make the legs sit flat on the floor.
    I would cut all of the legs with a round end.
    Then, any angle that you choose will 'fit perfectly',
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

There you go, telling me not to use my NASA developed space pen in zero gravity, and just use a graphite pencil. The Russian principle. I could have thought of that.

In Remembrance
    There you go, telling me not to use my NASA developed space pen in zero gravity, and just use a graphite pencil. The Russian principle. I could have thought of that.
    With graphite pencil, comrade can make changes ... if required.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Pretty long thread for a simple solution, lean a gun up against a table edge ect the same height as your top bar on the rack and either measure the angle or 'drop' and finalize your doodling and get ta work, daylights a burning.

Boolit Master

I felt like building something.