WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to feel old

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of my self.
    If I'd known I was going to be this bad off anyway I'd have played football and rode more motorcycles and skied the lakes and mountains. Instead I worked safe low impact jobs and avoided all of the knee,hip and back abuse . Here I am 50 with hips that whine in the heat ,knees that complain about the cold and a back that is just disagreeable about everything that is static for or leaning more than 5 min.

Getting to middle age is easy sneaking into early senior league is just the wash board before the bad part of the road . I can't wait for for 60 (sarc) .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    d accurate. My dad bought it in the late 60's, and it still doing it's job today.

Some of you will know what I am talking about when I say, "Sometimes I hurt worse all over, more than I do any where else!"
    And my ALL OVER has gotten much bigger.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    And my ALL OVER has gotten much bigger.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Man
    I still have the first gun that I bought with mostly my own money, my Grandfather chipped in $5.00, and I paid the rest, $6.00 for a total of $11.00. I was seven or eight when I got it. Still have that shotgun and every time I look at it, I know I'm old.

The shotgun was a model 42 Winchester!!
    Life is tough......Even tougher when you're stupid

Boolit Master
    I still have some Remington red box primers from the 60's
    I am sure they will still work fine , but I keep them as a memorabilia.

I remember helping my dad use them to make loads for his Marlin 336 .44 magnum rifle.

I guess I am old my Doctor says I am still OK..
    Everything still works well so I can't complain.

I inherited a bad right eye from my father.
    The Doc says I have cataracts starting.
    This is my Achilles heal for long range shooting.
    I have the skills the nerves and the training, but I have hit a wall.

My father shot left handed to compensate for his right eye.
    Perhaps this is what I may have to do if I am to continue.
    Last edited by Clay M; 01-01-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I got asked by a friend of a friend what I was disabled. I listed a few joints and she interrupted "if that is all that is wrong with you quit scamming" as my friend started to roll her eyes. I finished by saying that is the list of what I haven't had surgery on at least once... red face, embarrassed mutterings about needing to leave...

Boolit Master
    October 2000,I was hit with a heart attack,after hospitalisation and being prescribed a regime of Tablets.I visited the Doctor who said to me "Get On With It".I accepted his blunt advise and have never looked back,I build my own Guns and shoot them,I do my Gardening and my House maintainance etc etc.Since then I have had replacement Knees,my Gall Bladder removed.Many years before these blips I had a Large Kidney Stone removed and even earlier whilst in the Merchant Marine aged 22 I had my Appendics removed in Aden at a Royal Air force Hospital.I am now aged 79 and looking back these interuptions in life have made me appreciate being alive,the alternative is not so good.So that old professional who advised me to get on with it was spot on.Happy New year to All.

I hear you Blanket. I too have been snowed in and it has been getting down to around zero at night. I have been trying to "straighten up" my loading room. Found a one pound, yellow and red Hodgdon paper canister of 4831 (Seems to be unopened) I bought in 1967 marked $3.00. Still smells good, no dust. I am definitely out of extended warranty!

I bought a Colt that I thought was a 1917 (advertised by Hudson Sporting Goods as that in 1957). When the green Railway Express truck brought it, it was an apparently unfired, blued, mail train New Service. The "standard ones" were $19.95. I had scraped my lawn mowing money together and paid $24.95 for one that was "hand Picked". I sure lucked out. I was twelve, and my Dad wouldn't let me keep it in my room until I was fourteen. I still have it!

Boolit Grand Master
    lately I have been up early 4-5 am ,not even hunting, pain gets me up and out of bed
    sucks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I have a 50 round boxes of45-70 rem-umc an ammo can of alcan primers,, 3 boxes of Canucks match 22lr and several boxes of Peters 22lr they were the cheapest when I bought my Stevens Crack shot. Wish I still had the trap door i bought the 45-70's for i shot the 20 round box. And my mind is not as old as I am

Damn...just turned 50 and you guys sure aren't giving me much hope.

Really don't want to be pooped out by a coyote over a cliff.

My diner lady always says;"every day on this side of the grass is a good day"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    I feel old too. In my mind I am 25 but look in the mirror and all the gray hair. My body hurts from all the hard physical labor in my knees and shoulders. I am 46 but feel every year of it.
    I guess I should quit belly aching. Most of you fellas have quite a few years on me ( and some much more wrong) and still going strong. Ha...ha....

ya vague memories of (if correct) like the first cobalt treatments outside of U of Michigan research were done at the Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis patient's family Dr. was Quello (probably misspelled the name). First successful open heart surgery was performed in S. Africa, first successful open heart surgery in N. America was performed in Vancouver, BC Canada.
    I was about 3000 miles away from Vancouver at the time, following all of the news releases + everything that was available to large international pharmaceutical companies. I learned the name of the patient in Vancouver later as I married his little sister in 75. At times the world is small and so full of wonders.
    When you compute the cost of fuel and what a journeyman's wages were and find that journeyman should be making over $125.00 /hr if his wage were to keep up with the increasing cost of fuel.
    When you remember a large wage increase was 1/2 a cent an hour.
    When it takes you 2-3/4 hrs to put up a single raker rafter and you hurt for a week after.
    When you can ramble on forever, at least I can still remember
    Enough of the past for now
    may everyone have a HEALTHY, happy and prosperous new year
    Last edited by Cariboo; 01-02-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

I t hurts to let you know it is still attached to your body.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I t hurts to let you know it is still attached to your body.
    tried that with the nailgun a few years back, the framing hammer came in handy to detach it
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Buddy
    Found a paper bag with a box of Federal 22 lr 550 box with Walmart slip of $6.97. My wife was going through some paper work and asked me if I wanted the receipt for my Garand from the DCM, $92, shipped.

when you remember when this was new and full
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

Boolit Master
    Remember when IMR4831 Hodgens surplus came in the white paper bag with blue printing?$1.00 a pound$10.00 for a case of 10 lbs?Burned many a case of it.Those were the days,as the old song says.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I'm getting old but it really hit me when I dug out my RCBS jr 2 and it had an aluminum primer catcher and was stamped 71 on the casting.Tim