MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What HF RED should look like!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I'm not sure I understand all the 'greatness' of PC'ing if you have to size them anyway after coating. I'm not trying to sound 'Trollish or a smart a**. I truly am curious. The thing I find tedious is the sizing (especially 9mm & small bullets) and if I have to size them after PC, I figure I can fight the lube reservoir also. What am I missing?
    Powder coated bullets are way cleaner to shoot. However, the inside of my garage and anywhere I have used Harbor Freight Red is beginning to show a Red tint. In short, there is more mess with Powder Coating than there is with traditional lubes. Also, production time for producing powder coated bullets is two to three times longer than with a lube/sizer due to the placing on trays with forceps/hemostats, cleaning up the powder coating gun, baking, etc. With a lube/sizer, the bullets can be sized and lubed much faster...despite claims to the contrary. As for traditional lubes being sticky, I handle that with a little shake of motor mica dust. The only reason I find for powder coating in my situation (I have a home range, shoot from my pole barn-outside), is that I wished to experiment with my M1 Carbine this Winter and because as all primates, I am fascinated with colorful shinny things.

Notice no 13 year-old girl-texting-style abbreviations.

Boolit Buddy
    Its been my personal experience with the shake and bake with HF,that for every batch you can brag about there will be 2 that look like ****.

Thank you all. There were some good replies that answered my questions. I guess I'll have to try this myself and see if it's for me or not.

Here are some bent up boolits sprayed with HF red. Cast soft and shot out of a stock G30 45 ACP. Well not the one on the far right. I set the hollow points on screws and run two pans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder coated 1.jpg   powder coated 2.jpg  
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

I enjoy tackling something new, though this is getting more mainstream every day.

I keep putting all my overspray and leftover powder in one in one container. Not the best looking but the pc does its job which is what I like.

The abbreviations are part of the code we have so we don't spill the beans (OK, the ASBBs) to the wrong person. Loose lips sink ships; watch what you say, the enemy is listening.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Lighten up Jim….re-read my comments….it was a JOKE.

My reply was meant in jest also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    Powder coated bullets are way cleaner to shoot. However, the inside of my garage and anywhere I have used Harbor Freight Red is beginning to show a Red tint. In short, there is more mess with Powder Coating than there is with traditional lubes. Also, production time for producing powder coated bullets is two to three times longer than with a lube/sizer due to the placing on trays with forceps/hemostats, cleaning up the powder coating gun, baking, etc. With a lube/sizer, the bullets can be sized and lubed much faster...despite claims to the contrary. As for traditional lubes being sticky, I handle that with a little shake of motor mica dust. The only reason I find for powder coating in my situation (I have a home range, shoot from my pole barn-outside), is that I wished to experiment with my M1 Carbine this Winter and because as all primates, I am fascinated with colorful shinny things.

Notice no 13 year-old girl-texting-style abbreviations.
    Most IF NOT ALL (SWAG).....on here use abbreviations and acronyms all the time. You need to read the sticky on abbreviations and get with the program! IMNSHO. TGIF.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-on-This-Forum

banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

"Another 'computer generated picture'… Mine looked just like that but when I pulled them out of the oven…my wife was screaming something about the smoke alarm…and the BB's were stuck all over my boolits…whats worse, the tub was stuck to the oven rack…I told her it wasn't my idea, somebody on Cast Boolits said to do it…She started yelling something about me jumping off a bridge…whats that got to do with red boolits in the first place?"

"Merry Christmas all you Brass Stuffers!"
    You didn't read the instructional threads! If you are going to use the method you mention you need to give them 20 min in the microwave at full power first. Then bake them and see what your wife says. Make sure you have a friend with a spare bedroom first!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

What temp and for how long are you baking the bullets?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    What temp and for how long are you baking the bullets?

I was not posting this picture & thread to talk about bake times. That picture is of RAW UNBAKED boolits as they should look after shaking and swirling the right way. NOT after baking.

If you want to know.......I ALWAYS bake 10min @ 400F. That is AFTER the powder turns shiny. I get perfect bakes (hammer cube test) every time using that. Not 15 minutes. Not 20 minutes. 10 minutes is all it takes. Verify your oven temp with a good oven thermometer and do NOT trust the dial setting. Also a convection (fan) oven gives the best results due to the even temperature profile in the oven cavity. Some claim success with standard ovens. I threw 2 of them away B4 I bought a quality conv oven (2.5 years ago) and have had perfect bakes ever since.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I'm not sure I understand all the 'greatness' of PC'ing if you have to size them anyway after coating. I'm not trying to sound 'Trollish or a smart a**. I truly am curious. The thing I find tedious is the sizing (especially 9mm & small bullets) and if I have to size them after PC, I figure I can fight the lube reservoir also. What am I missing?
    You have to read the threads related bug PC is less smoke, no leading, even if you size as I do, what's not to like?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbear View Post
    Cleaner gun, no leading, no smoke, no stink, no barrel wear, designer colors, no black snot in your nose when shooting in an indoor range, and not having to fret much about what alloy is in the pot. Haven't used monkey snot lubes since I went to PC and haven't missed it at all.
    You forgot no lube build up in your seating dies. It's also becoming ever more apparent that you can often get away with using a little softer alloy.

I have tore down and cleaned all of the pig snot (lube) out of my seating and crimping dies and don't plan on going back.

I really don't find it taking longer for me because I used to tumble lube which requires at least over night drying.

I don't have any red haze covering anything because I don't spray it I only tumble coat.

My PC boolits don't always look beautiful but they have always performed beautifully, so far at least.

I haven't used anything other than HF red to this date.

Like many others that have tried PC, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with a half dozen bottles of A-LOX.

Motor

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbear View Post
    Cleaner gun, no leading, no smoke, no stink, no barrel wear, designer colors, no black snot in your nose when shooting in an indoor range, and not having to fret much about what alloy is in the pot. Haven't used monkey snot lubes since I went to PC and haven't missed it at all.
    check,check,check,check,check,,ooops no check- mine all come in silver, check [unless I'm making cores for copper wrapped bullets then I worry about it] and check.

lubes are what you make them if they are slimy going in, they are slimy coming out.
    don't use slimy monkey snot lubes, a lube star isn't necessary nor wanted by most of us.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Most IF NOT ALL (SWAG).....on here use abbreviations and acronyms all the time. You need to read the sticky on abbreviations and get with the program! IMNSHO. TGIF.
    The purpose of a forum is to disseminate and receive information...that is, to "communicate". Who would argue with that?
    The question then becomes: Do gratuitous and improper (as defined by any high school English teacher), aid or hinder communication? (The answer should be obvious to anyone with a high school education.)

The practice as taught by my college (many years ago), English professor is, if you must do it, spell it out in the first instance and after that, use the common abbreviation.

For instance, "I have been using Harbor Freight Red in both my Electical Static Powder Coating gun and in my Tumble Lubing attemps." I have found that when using HFR and the ESPC method, the results are better than when I TL.

Expecting readers to adapt to an improper communication mode, is not conducive to effective communication, no matter how many currently do it. FYI, OMG, etc., originated with sub-adults hampered with a poverty of language skills and further restricted to a hand-held set of keys manipulated with only their thumbs. One can reasonably expect, that there will be frequent additions to the list of improper abbreviations which will further hinder effective communication. Perhaps you should consider that before you are tempted to construct those improper abbreviations. Or, take an English Comp. One class at your Community College, make up some of your own abbreviations and see what your English professor says to you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well............... EXCUSE ME "professor"!

I am a College graduate engineer with post graduate education. I am NOT some swamp crawler with a 6th grade education, fumbling with the English language. I am called the "silver tonged orator" by friends and customers due to my eloquent use of our language. I have a totally mastery of the language.

Acronyms and short-cuts are used by all levels of communication today. I guess you consider NASA a sub-human entity also? The military has used abbreviations for generations. Are you now calling all our fine service people idiots also? Sounds like it.

The VAST majority on here have absolutely no problems with the terms. Why do you??????????????????????????????

The biggest problems today are people using "smart" (and I use that term jokingly!)
    phones that type other words that the person intends. Spell check is fine...word replacement is totally uncalled for by any device!

You had better rethink your opinions on abbreviations and get with the program sir. And quit living as your screen name implies.

IMHO!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    I am a College graduate engineer with post graduate education.
    Assuming a Master's Degree, how many non-standard, one-letter abbreviations did you use in your Master's Theseus? If none, why not? Do you know what an ad hominem argument is?

Boolit Master
    TreeKiller, I get what you are saying; but sizing Powder Coated boolits with a simple push through size kit is WAY WAY faster than lube sizing unless you have a Star lubesizer. Now, you do have the time and labor and equipment factor in getting raw cast boolits properly powder coated. There are slow methods that yield stellar results once your talent and experience develop. There are very fast methods that for some seem to work as well or almost as well as the slow. And, to be truthful; the functional aspect of PC boolits is only part of the attraction, there is also the aesthetic quality - they are way cool and downright purdy!

prs

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    Assuming a Master's Degree, how many non-standard, one-letter abbreviations did you use in your Master's Theseus? If none, why not? Do you know what an ad hominem argument is?
    If you would just simply read (and understand!) and maybe print out for future personal future reference the friggin thread on common abbreviations used by ALL on this site, there would be no questions about "non-standard" usages. We all use them profusely, with no problems from MOST informed people on here.

And I use ( and always have used) abbreviations and acronyms in my daily business all the time.....industry standards for my work....designing intricate control systems for anything from sewage treatment plants to jet engine parts heat-treat ovens to food processing machinery to rocket engine test stands. And yes, that IS rocket science!

I am truly sorry you have such a big problem with acronyms and abbreviations.

Let's get back to the REAL purpose of this thread I started about what PC should look like when BBDT'd before it is baked and stop throwing stones at the commonly used abbreviations by MOST of us.....and the people that use them. Knowing what BBDT'd boolits should look like can help those that are still struggling with the process to possibly find a solution to their coating problems.

Happy New Year to All!

banger

ps: no need of replying, as you have joined my illustrious list of blocked members and I will not see your "witty retorts".

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm a poor dumb hillbilly. I read stickies.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Happy New Year!

Thanks for starting this thread...great picture!

I am getting everything together to do exactly this HF Red ASBBDT method,
    and I plan to use a dedicated container for each color with a charge of BBs
    and just leave the powder and BBs in the sealed container until the next use.

Hopefully the powder will not clump, is that what you do?

Also, I was looking for a slightly larger screw on lid container,
    but it seems that all they make are the 16oz size.

So I realize that I will put in more smaller boolits, and fewer large boolits,
    but can you tell us what is the average piece range with different size boolits
    that you use in this 16oz container?

Thanks!