MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: How to slug a revolver... HELP...

How to slug a revolver... HELP...

How to slug a revolver... HELP...

I just bought a 41 cal Gasser dutch type antique revolver.

I want to buy a mould and I want to know what SIZE ?

- exactly the bore dimension ?

- exactly the groove dimension ?

- the groove dimension + 0.00x inch ?

- something else ?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Etienne Brűlé

Boolit Buddy
    You will need to have a couple things on hand to slug your bore:

A Dial or Digital Caliper
    A soft lead slug, slightly larger than your muzzle opening. (Some people use fishing weights)
    Some Grease
    A Hardwood dowel
    A mallet

Take your soft lead slug and grease it up so it's nice and lubed.
    Using the dowel and mallet, drive it through your muzzle opening backwards thru the rifling.
    Measure your slug when it comes out. Measure the circumference between the Grooves that your rifling has cut, and also measure the outside diameter of the slug.

Here is a tutorial online: http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Post your results on this forum and I'm sure that you will get plenty of suggestions for mould possibilities.

Andy

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Make sure the barrel is clean before slugging. Run an oil soked patch before slugging too.

Banned

don't forget your cylinder throats if your bbl is 412 and your throats are 410
    you are gonna have problems.
    easily fixed but you will have problems untill they are opened up.

Boolit Grand Master

Measure the throat diameter (front opening in the cylinder) with gauge pins,
    either buy a set for about $60 from Enco, or if you will only do this rarely, find
    a friend that is a machinist and have him measure your cyl throats with his
    gauge pins. These are very accurately made steel pins in a set with step size
    of 0.001". The one that will just fit into the throat is the size.

Ideal dimensions would be a throat of the same size or .001-.002" smaller than
    the bullet dimension, and a barrel the same or .001-.002" smaller than the
    cyl throat diameter. The results in a boolit that is guide well at the start and
    runs straight and true through the throat (not canted due to undersize) and
    then hits the barrel square and is slightly larger or the same size to seal the
    bore well and avoid gas cutting and the subsequent leading. If the throats
    are smaller than the bore you get undersized boolits rattling down the barrel
    and gas melting the sides of the boolit - leading.

Some old revolvers are hopelessly mismatched on sizes and the only real
    solution is a very soft boolit and or often better, a hollow base which lets the boolit
    adapt to widely varying diameters with some aplumb. This is a common fix for old
    revolvers with bad dimensions and no way to fix them or the desire to keep
    them original. The hollow base is easily upset to fit any reasonable diameter and
    can also be squeezed back down if required. Limits velocity, but these old guns
    usually are very low velocity anyway, and in many cases the hollow based boolit
    is how the original ammo worked.

Good luck!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I use Cero-safe to "slug" my bores. Just plug the bore and pour it in. a 1 inch long section is all you need. Cero-safe melts at just about the boiling point of water, and from my understanding was made for doing just this sort of thing. It's a little expensive but you can re-use it indefinitely.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Ideal dimensions would be a throat of the same size or .001-.002" smaller than
    the bullet dimension
    I thought, the throat has to be .001 bigger than the bullet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jahela View Post
    Ideally, The throat(front portion of the chamber in the cylinder) should taper down .001". Then the forcing cone(rearmost portion of the barrel, closest to the cylinder) should be smooth and bring/aline the boolit to the barrel dimensions(preferably smaller than the throat) i.e. 44mag .430>.429>.428-.426
    The opening to the forcing cone should be bigger than the boolit and the throat dimensions but should taper down to the barrel grove dimension. Kind of like 2 funnels placed together (> >). Like stated above when the 'funnel' dimensions are not correct (> <, < <) you get accuracy/leading problems

I use a pure lead slug/oil the barrel,pound it all the way through. Then another bigger slug and pound it half way into the muzzle, then pull it back out. Gives me 2 dimensions, so I can tell if the barrel is tighter where it goes through the frame.
    Last edited by NSP64; 06-02-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jahela View Post

The idea has merit. Especially if you want to shoot heavier bullets that will need to actually enter the throat on the strong caming action what will soon end up being an arthritic thumb.

Has to be? There are those folks that shoot cast and want rifle like conditions in a handgun "IF" .... the gun has enough strength to handle that method. I sometimes do it myself. Especially with light bullets, ensuring that I get good enough ignition to replace what case neck tension I had to lose belling the case. I also believe that some designs benefit from more .... central alignment if the chambers are .... generous in size too.

With some bullet designs, and loads usually too light or too slow of a power, this technique is outstanding. With some designs, and loads the same size throat ruins the theory. Bet you heard that before huh? No matter what, you better have good alignment and strong bullets cause there will be no wiggle room for that slug to turn and it will have to rotate the weight and inertia of that cylinder far enough to get'er done until it eventually cuts a new path in your cone. In the mean time, it will be flier city.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 06-02-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Somewhere I read you can make a slug for straight casing (9mm and 38 Special come to mind) by melting fishing weights in the new or previously fired case (spent primer) after depriming and the primer hole is plugged. Then after the lead cools dump it out and there is your slug already sized the size of your cylinder/chamber. Good idea? or not.

Boolit Master
    that would be very difficult as the 9mm is a tapered case (not much ...but it is)

and other "so called straight cases" aren't straight either.
    they get sized, re-sized, expanded, belled and fire formed.

after all that there is no such thing as a straight case...then pouring melted lead into a brass case is the best way i can think of to "solder" a case up solid.....it would never "dump" out freely or easily...you'd have to melt it out again.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used bell type fishing sinkers , they are pear shaped , round with a smaller top end and bigger bottom.
    An assortment from the tackle shop can get the closest size needed. Being soft lead with a small end they drove into the bore easily. Have used them 6-7 times with perfect results.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    You will need to have a couple things on hand to slug your bore:

A Dial or Digital Caliper
    A soft lead slug, slightly larger than your muzzle opening. (Some people use fishing weights)
    Some Grease
    A Hardwood dowel
    A mallet

Take your soft lead slug and grease it up so it's nice and lubed.
    Using the dowel and mallet, drive it through your muzzle opening backwards thru the rifling.
    Measure your slug when it comes out. Measure the circumference between the Grooves that your rifling has cut, and also measure the outside diameter of the slug.

Here is a tutorial online: http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Post your results on this forum and I'm sure that you will get plenty of suggestions for mould possibilities.

Andy
    Never ever use wooden dowel, it'll break and you'll be screwed...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Never ever use wooden dowel, it'll break and you'll be screwed...
    True, brass or copper rod ONLY.
    I slug throats by starting a round ball just over. Then put a brass rod against the ball and upset more with another rod against it with a hammer. tap it out. Use a good mike not calipers.
    I also have a method to upset a ball into the rifling of revolvers and get it back out. No screws in the ball.

Lots of good discussion here UNLESS your gun has odd number of grooves like my old colt. It only has 5 grooves. Now, that's a whole nuther story!