Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Media separator

Media separator

I'm looking for suggestions for either a commercial media separator or something home built.
    thanks,
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stu1ritter View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for either a commercial media separator or something home built.
    thanks,
    Stu
    My batches of brass run 5 pounds or less. For that size batch, the media seoarator shown in the link works just fine:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...or-deluxe.html

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dillon sells a model that has a basket and a large tub. Basket opens,dump in brass and media together, close basket, crank the handle a few turns and brass is empty of media! Pretty simple and very functional.dont remember the price,sorry.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I bought a dillon unit secondhand, I don't know what they ask for them new, but its worth it.

I use the one shown above for wet tumbling with sst pins.

otherwise I like to use my five gallon bucket system that I hastily built 20 years ago. It's just a bucket cut down with 1/4" hardware cloth for a bottom. Fits into another bucket to catch the corn cob. I can give good motion to break free and empty corn cob from inside of cases.

i imagine the rotary would work as well, but I like to store my pins in the bottom to dry out between batches.

i also have a "gold pan" style seperator with cuts in the bottom, but I don't use it often.

I too use the Dillon for both wet and dry.Dry, the tub catches all of the corncob or walnut media.Wet I fill the tub with water so it is a final rinse and catches the media. (Tub on right).

Boolit Grand Master

Heres a home made quicky that works real well. Pick up a cheap wire minnow trap. ( The ones you hang over the side with a bread crumbs in it. these work real well pour brass and media in and shake till media is out. I took one half and epoxeyed a dowel in the taper 2" long drilled a 1/4" hole thru it. Now it can set on lid bolt of my dillion running to vibrate it. I also habe the big dillon seperator and its better and faster, but this is cheap quick and easy. I used this when moly coating bullets as most seperators have holes slots to big for bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a little Dillon that's over 20 years old. It's convenient, works really well and is very well built.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the cage from an old oscillating fan. Works great and it was free!

I took one of the newer plastic coffee cans, knocked the bottom out of it and placed some hardware cloth over the opening.
    Fill, put lid on, shake into bucket.
    Last edited by cephas53; 12-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

I use some end of season plastic beach buckets.
    One of which has circular piece cut out of bottom leaving a lip and this holds a circular piece of wire mesh .25" held in with a few wire ties.
    Warning! Do not leave buckets containing ground corncobs or walnut out in environment where there are cats!
    Mine do not know the difference between litter and tumbling media!

I am cheap, I use an ice cream pail and a deep fat fryer basket.

But I work with small batches, 150 9mm cases is my biggest batch. They were pretty grimy, so they got deprimed, citric acid wash, dried, primer pocket cleaned, sized, flared mouth, then put in primers and vibrated them for an hour in walnut hull to shine them up. No progressive press here, just my Lee hand press and patience.

But your mileage most likely will vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    I use some end of season plastic beach buckets.
    One of which has circular piece cut out of bottom leaving a lip and this holds a circular piece of wire mesh .25" held in with a few wire ties.
    Warning! Do not leave buckets containing ground corncobs or walnut out in environment where there are cats!
    Mine do not know the difference between litter and tumbling media!
    I have also had this problem once when I left the shed open. Also had a hen decide to go broody on a bucket of media.