MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    If I were a betting man, based on my "mile high, mile away" visibility on the 500 JRH BFR, there will not be a second run.

I have been known to be wrong occasionally (all the time, every day)
    Well let's hope your wrong, I asked the question because of all the rumors and I posted the answer earlier in the thread. Plus I haven't gotten mine yet so they have to keep making them till then or they will have one really p!$$ed off old crabby warrant to deal with.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master
    I can tell you that everybody that wants a Ruger 480 is going to get one. It might take a while but they will be there & thats a fact.

Dick

That is a beautiful portrait. It should be in a museum!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Here's mine beside my .45 with 7.5" barrel. I don't know why it needed that much more ejector rod, but the barrel sure is meatier!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still trying to land one myself. All three of my local Lipseys dealers flat out said there was no way they could get one since they're "allocated". I figured they could have at least called their Lipseys salesman but I guess my cash doesn't mean anything. Meanwhile the gunbroker prices seem to be coming down to a reasonable level in the last week or so. I'd rather not play the bidding war game or deal with shipping and FFL transfer, but that looks like my only hope of getting one.

Banned

I have to admit, it is purdy as all get out. Looks like a Swiss watch.
    Darn sure I want one, Bisley or not. Don't let me get you down, you will love it.

I got mine in the past week or so, but didn't get out to shoot until today. The trigger has smoothed out on mine with use, just like the Single 7 did.

Both of my 9v batteries in my range bag were dead, so no chronograph. I guess that happens after about 7 years. But I shot a couple loads, a 370 rnfp and the MiHec 385 hp... well, about 60 rounds of the 370 and just a couple of the 385 hp. One shot for each row of 7, one-gallon water jugs. The 385 penetrates even when the velocity was too high for the alloy. All of the hp sheared off and fragmented in the first 2 jugs.

Nice revolver. Looking forward to ringing it out more on a day with less wind and rain, and a new 9v battery!

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I have to admit, it is purdy as all get out. Looks like a Swiss watch.
    Darn sure I want one, Bisley or not. Don't let me get you down, you will love it.
    You know....people often convert plow handles to Bisleys. I see no reason you couldn't do the opposite.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    You know....people often convert plow handles to Bisleys. I see no reason you couldn't do the opposite.
    Good point. But SS keeps me from even getting one. I can ask Carol but did you ever get a cast iron frying pan aside your head?

No.... but my ex pulled a Colt Python on me once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    No.... but my ex pulled a Colt Python on me once.

Just one reason she's the ex.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I got my custom size dies from Buckshot today. One is a Lee push-thru style and the other is a Lyman lubesizer die. I'm all set!

These don't need any lube though, I just gotta run em through the push-thru one time and they're good to go.
    Nice, very nice. I think you've got the pc down pat.
    Sully

Banned

Nice boolits but be prepared to travel to the moon to recover meat. No way I would hunt with that HP for deer. You need to know the .480 and .475. They are hammers.
    Since the .480, etc, can take anything on earth, that boolit is 100% wrong for large game too.
    I showed this before, .475 heart shot with a 22 BHN flat nose at 1329 fps.Attachment 152355Step back from the soft HP.

Boolit Master
    The bullet isn't 100% wrong, the velocity is 100% wrong. I don't want to get into a 3 page argument but that hollow point works great at 900-1050 fps & that extra 300 fps does what, and please don't tell me trajectory. That kind of speed with that bullet on deer is totally wasted, show me where I'm wrong! We're just trying to kill them, not gut them with the bullet!

Dick

Boolit Master

Actually (3 page argument aside) that makes for an interesting argument. If the bullet construction allows for a 300 fps reduction is speed to achieve (qualitatively speaking) same results, then you basically end up in a situation where you can reduce your recoil and produce the same end result. That is very much worth thinking about.

What really makes that interesting is some (technically unrelated) data I saw for another big bore cartridge. The test data showed improved SD and ES at slower speeds, peaking (dipping?) at 1000-1100 fps, rather than pushing to 1300+ fps with H110. That's a compelling argument to me to run such a boolit at reduced speeds. Not to mention the enhanced ease of shooting!

Only downside I see is you are chucking pumpkins. But if the elevation is still within the boiler room at whatever distances you plan on shooting at.....

(I like chucking pumpkins more than shooting light bullets at warp-ridiculous)
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 11-02-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you sixshot for pointing that out. I have a pile of those ready to go along with some 375 solids for when my Bisley ships from Lipseys. Appreciate all the effort and passing it on to others.

If sixshot says it, I believe it. I have seen more of his dead game pics with that round than any other person on the net with anything larger. It works. Very, very well and from the many dead hogs I have seen (to say nothing of the bison & whitetail) the destruction is minimal. The deadliness is unquestionable.

Boolit Master
    I can't see pushing a cast hollow point beyond 1200 fps, but as far as 100% wrong, even when that bullet blows the nose off you are left with a ~300gr .475" wadcutter.

Can't imagine such a deer that would shuck off such a slug.

Banner Sponsor

Well, I'm convinced that mine was made on a Friday.
    I was shooting some 400+gn bullets and ran out of rear sight adjustment, it was bottomed out and was still shooting 6-8" high. So I ordered up the tall front sight, pulled the factory short one and saw this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480-front-sight-01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	152496

The front sight base is longer than on my 45 bisley and it has a longer slot for the front sight to slide back and forth in, but with the front sight all the way forward, you can only get 1/2 a hole in it.
    I think I'm going to have to send this back to Ruger and have a new front sight base installed?