RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Polish Lathe chuck-what is it and is it worth anything?

Boolit Master

Polish Lathe chuck-what is it and is it worth anything?

I got this with a bunch of other stuff at an auction. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	148591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	148592

Boolit Grand Master
    How does it mount? Look on the back and see whether there is a removable back plate with a threaded "nozzle" or one of the various clip-in mounting systems, etc. Without knowing how much run-out is there, etc will also affect the value.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Master Tool & Die Maker

If it's had a lot of use, the jaws and scroll plate may have a lot of wear. If it's been abused, then the jaws may be sprung as well. It may be worth something if it's functional.

Take a picture of the back of the chuck so we can see how it's mounted. D Cam Lock, Tapered spindle, etc.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Like said......it's all in the mounting!!!!! You took pix of the front, but the back is FAR more important!!!!!

Do you have the other set of jaws??????? These kinds of inexpensive chucks have inside and outside jaws......in matched sets. You have to take one set totally out and then install the other set. Hardened reversible top jaw chucks are the way of the road today.

banger

Boolit Master

Here is the back. No other jaws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck3.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	148604

Boolit Master
    $50 at most
    its a plain back 3 jaw, doesn't look too beat up.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Sell it local pick up on Craig's list.

Boolit Master

its off the back side of a motorized pipe threader, the front of the body has the dies and this hold the pipe centered in the back. look up ridged threaders and you should be able to id it.

Vendor Sponsor

First you need to clean all the rust off it, preferrably by chemical so the whole thing isn't a collection of sanding scratches, then look on fleabay and find it's match and see what those are fetching. There are some sellers that would try to get $300 out of your chuck but those guys are out to lunch. Most in the size range yours is will fetch $150 if they are in decent looking shape and have reversible jaws.

I don't think this is from any pipe threader that I have ever seen, and the holes in the back I think are the DI-6 cam lock mounting but the studs are missing.

Find a piece of hardened rod or round stock and tighten the jaws down on it. Do they snug up evenly or only at the bottom? As mentioned earlier, wear and runout will determine what value is left in it, deduct a good chunk of it since it is missing the other jaws.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lathe chuck, possibly used on pipe threader somewhere. But a lathe chuck. You are missing the other set of jaws. The backplate will fit the specific lathe nose threads ans/or adaptor.

Like said: mabe $50 max local sell? Sorry, not a gold mine. I would use it as a door stop in my shop.

3jaw scroll chucks are pretty inaccurate for most real lathe work. I have 3 of them that just sit in a drawer now that I have all "tru-set' chucks for my lathes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    3jaw scroll chucks are pretty inaccurate for most real lathe work. I have 3 of them that just sit in a drawer now that I have all "tru-set' chucks for my lathes.

That's a fact, an eight inch tru-set chuck is on my wish list right now, right up near the very top!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I use a 6 jaw with set through adjustment. Dialing in the barrel is a different process from a 4 jaw... but about the same amount of time, and I can just leave the same chuck on the lathe all the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I use a 6 jaw with set through adjustment. Dialing in the barrel is a different process from a 4 jaw... but about the same amount of time, and I can just leave the same chuck on the lathe all the time.
    I have a 6" 3 jaw scroll, a 6" 4 jaw scroll (NOT a horrible universal!), and an 8" 3 jaw scroll.......all are the tru-set style and there is no dial-in time. I can put a piece of stock in turn it, take it out, put it back in (no witness marks or dial indicators!) and it is still 0.0002 in round, as long as the chuck grip area is true. And the jaws are clean. All are hardened reversible top jaw chucks.

My next purchase will be a 6 jaw chuck....great for thin work.

A tru-set eliminates the horrible "dial-in" procedure of a universal 4 jaw. I have 4, 6, & 8" universals and only use them when I need to do eccentric turning.

It is really nice to have collet-style accuracy in those larger tru-sets!!!!!!! I do precision work on various instruments and tooling, nothing to do with gun barrels.

bangerjim

Boolit Mold

We had several of these in the shop I worked in. They used the cam lock system like DougGuy said. I used one on a Freyer FR18 lathe, one of the better machines in our shop, which wasn't saying much. We were a carbide shop, not much precision required.

Boolit Buddy
    50 bux may be pushing it, as I paid less then 50 for my 4 jaw but it was bought off a machinist BBS so parts move pretty slow and cheap.

In other words once you have a tool you only can use one of at a time and a few different sizes/models of the tool, you move on to the next tool you need to buy.
    Most people don't buy 2 or 3, 3 jaw chucks. And most lathes already come with the standard 3 jaw.

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    Attach it to a heavy workbench and turn it into a barrel holding fixture for removing barrels from actions. It's large enough to put plenty of clamping pressure around a barrel. Just because you don't have a lathe that it fits doesn't mean you can't use it like if it was attached to a lathe. Use your imagination.

If you don't do much work with rifles, use it like a vise to hold round workpieces like pipes still while you cut thru them.

All you'd need after that would be an action wrench that conforms to the shape of your action.
    Last edited by andremajic; 09-26-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Man
    I used one very similar to this in a hydraulic repair shop, it took a LOT of abuse and still ran within .003". After the shop went out of business a friend bought the lathe and 18 years later it still runs great.

Boolit Buddy
    That is most likely a Bison chuck made in Poland. Generally good quality and still available. The back-plate is for probably a D1-6 spindle nose, but is missing the cam lock pins. Could be a D1-4 but I doubt it. Diameter of the cam lock pins would tell you. New, they go for $600 -1200+ depending on construction. Used they can be scrap to a couple hundred depending on condition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    Attach it to a heavy workbench and turn it into a barrel holding fixture for removing barrels from actions. It's large enough to put plenty of clamping pressure around a barrel. Just because you don't have a lathe that it fits doesn't mean you can't use it like if it was attached to a lathe. Use your imagination.

If you don't do much work with rifles, use it like a vise to hold round workpieces like pipes still while you cut thru them.

All you'd need after that would be an action wrench that conforms to the shape of your action.
    Yes!
    Re-sale value may be fairly low but you should be able to adapt it for other-than-lathe work for short money.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I've also seen them used for parts that need to be put in a hydraulic 12 ton press for removing bearings, etc. Just adjust the chuck jaws to the right diameter so the piece pushed thru it.

Andy
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken