Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: What shall I get?

Boolit Buddy

What shall I get?

I've somewhat of an interest in a good air rifle. Nothing in the big dollar range. Are older Sheredan or Benjamin good?
    What about a RWS 34. I don't care if its BB, .177 or etc. I know where this RWS is (used) what would be a fair price and are there things that I need to watch out for as far as something being worn out?

My 34 is more powerful than my Benjamin 392 and more accurate at distance but it also cost more. The 392 will shoot an inch at 25 yards with mild wind.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    buggybuilder; I just got my first air gun two weeks ago at a local pawn shop. It's a RWS Dianna .177 built in 1998 and like new $100 I liked shooting in the back yard so much that I picked up a Benjamin NP2 Trail from Pyramyd and a Crosman CO2 handgun from Walmart. It's great no having to drive miles to target practice. Get one and join the fun. Gp

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have no idea what they are asking forth a RWS, but if i'sless than $200 I'd get it.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Get one of everything ! Air guns are a hoot !

Any good mid priced springer will serve you well. Stay away from the cheepos !
    Pyramid Air is your friend. Lots of articles, reviews, etc.
    The fun part is finding the pellets your new gun likes - you think 22's are picky !!!!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    So with all your recommendations of a .22, you would not get a .177?

Boolit Master
    If you can get the 34 for a reasonable price.. get it. You can replace/rebuild most anything on it. Check out Gateway to Airguns on the net. Very informative and interesting reading.

Being new to airguns I was quite surprised by how temperamental they were in pellet preference. Where one type would easily group under an inch at 10m another would go over 6" Give my model 34 what it wants and it is very accurate. For what little I know I would recommend a RWS I'm very pleased with the one I picked up. Gp

Boolit Master
    Rws 48!!! Power and the gun feels great. Gunbroker em

Boolit Master
    A lot depends on what you want to do.
    I would go 177 for a first air gun. Pure insane accuracy !
    Bigger selection of guns and pellets. Pellets slightly less expensive.
    Target competition is 177 all the way - LOTS of r&d go into those match pellets - and the price shows it !
    Field competition and hunting lean towards 22 and 25 cal
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Well, I'm a little disappointed today. My new Benjiman trail NP2 22cal. Arrived from Pryamyd and looked to be a fine airgun (I'm new to this) Paid the extra $20 to have scope mounted, rifle test fired and chronographed and bought a gun case for shipping protection. The rifle fit me perfectly for length of pull and then I noticed it was wearing the scope that comes with the rifle fro Crosman not the up-grade scope I ordered. First purchase from Pyramyd so I hope this gets to a favorable resolution as they seem to have such a wide array of choices in toys. Hoping this back and forth shipping gets done before the snow flys Gp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    Pyramid Air is your friend.

And when you order 3 tins of pellets you get a forth free.
    Also 30 day return on air rifles if you do not like it.

Boolit Buddy
    If you get the RWS (Diana) 34 you will not be disappointed. Shoot it till the spring breaks. Put a Vortek kit through it, then you will be impressed

I got bit by the airgun bug after picking up a RWS 34 Dianna at a local pawn (.177) I've sense added a Umarex Octane (.177) and a Benjamin Trail NP2 (.22) I like the Benjamin the best so far, all NICE guns but the Benjamin is easiest to cock and has a nicer trigger and safety than the others. Now I NEED a PCP. lol Gp

Boolit Man
    You really can't go wrong with a 34 if a mid powered springer is what you want. Mine is as plain jane and unpretentious as an airgun comes but it stayed in the rack when I sold all the big box store guns, crosmans and gamos etc. Its the one that I can pick up anytime and if I feed it its favorite jsb's will put pellets where I want them to go. I love the consistent accuracy and awesome trigger ..like the deep blue and solid quick shot cycle. Its an all around great piece and a favorite for sure.

There was a fella named Shadow on the GTA forums who hunted his .177 34 almost nightly over bait piles for coon and possum. He proclaimed it all one would need at moderate ranges and took dozens of them. Seems like a fox or two also. All headshots.
    So its not just a sparrow hunter, with a precise shot its a potent hunter, even in 177. In a 34, i'd prefer a 177 actually. Penetration may trump higher ft lbs in airguns around 15ftlbs or less I think.

If that 34 is still available don't hesitate to snatch it up, you probably would be very impressed. J