RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MCD ProductsInline FabricationTitan Reloading

Thread: Powder choice

Boolit Master

Powder choice

If you could choose one powder for your reloading calibers from 223 Rem to 30-06 Sprg what would you choose to be your all around powder?

I have done exactly that, and I chose Red Dot. A couple of caveats. I am not hunting with these loads. Although some of them would do just fine out to 100 yards. Like 4.6 to 5 grains of RD in a .357 mag shot in a single shot handi rifle. Loaded under a .358 158 gr round nose tl design. They are accurate, consistent, and group very well anywhere out to 100 yards

In Pistol I load 7.62x25 (3gr) 9mm (3 gr) .40 sw (Hipoint carbine, 4.6 gr) .45 acp (4-5 gr)
    In rifle cartridges I have had very good success in .223 4-7 grains with both 55 grain fmj and 55 gr bator. The later I load light, no gas check, trying to hold speed in the 1350-1400fps area. Essentially a cheap to reload, easy to load replacement for .22lr. In .300BO I have fired a variety of 4 boolits from 90 grains to 185 with 4-6 grains of RD. The list goes on, and on.

2 years ago I had 1/2 lb of dupont 3031 (yes the old metal can) Now I am sitting on 18 lbs of Red Dot, last 8 lb jug was 22.50 a pound to my door including shipping and hazmat.

I have yet to fire them, but I have 50 rounds of 7.62x54r for my Mosin's loaded waiting for range testing. Your mileage may vary. If you insist on chasing speed, I would suggest you choose something else. If you need it to cycle a semi auto action, probably want something else. I do load some IMR 4895 for my SKS.

But for cheap shooting, putting one powder in the measure and just leaving it there. And even for just setting the measure for one charge weight and just leave it there. Red Dot works for me. This month (and last) the flavor of the week is 4.6 grains for any cartridge that will hold it and leave room to seat a boolit. Yes this leaves out the 7.62x25, the 9mm, 38 spcl.

They are quiet, dependable, easy to load, I do watch like a hawk for double charges.

Most of all they go bang, put holes in paper for penny's a shot if I cast my own boolits, in almost all cases, less than .22lr or a dime or less per shot. Looked at in that respect, I can go to the range once a week all winter long for less than 100$ a year in powder.

I could use 4895 for all the rifle calibers I shoot, I don't but I could.

I've used Imr 4064 in 223, 308, 3006, 4570, 8mmx57, 338 win mag 7.62x39 , and 35 Rem. I'm sure I missed a few. It's not the fastest powder for the 223 but it shot well, it really does its best in the 308, 3006 size cases but I've been able to get a serviceable load worked up for every thing I've tried it in.

Boolit Master

only one powder, no thanks! i favor imr4064, but its not the only one.

Boolit Master

I assume you are talking cast bullets.

Unique.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyfixit View Post
    I could use 4895 for all the rifle calibers I shoot, I don't but I could.

This, it works well with most medium capacity rifle calibers and is forgiving with reduced powder charges that are used for cast. Due to my high power rifle shooting, I am sure I have shot more of it than all other powders combined.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

If you have Unique and 4895 you can find an acceptable load for a HUGE range of cartridges both rifle and handgun. Jacketed and cast loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    Jacketed bullets.

Varget or 4064. I seldom shoot j-words any more but I have a decent memory and I started taking notes a bit after Varget was introduced.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 10-12-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

These days it seems to be more about "what will work" rather than "what will work for multiple cartridges" but those days may be fading away, for now. I try to cover the spectrum from "fast" to "medium-slow" with powders I'm familiar with and most cartridges that I load & shoot have a favorite powder somewhere on my shelf.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'll second Tx for your question...... Varget is pretty darn versatile, and readily available in my end of the world. I keep and use a lot of it....although it's not my favorite for anything, other than an old Rem 742 in 30-06. That old rifle patterns like a shotgun....but Varget does the best.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Rl 15

Boolit Grand Master
    Varget, WW-748. 4895, 4064, pick your poison
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Varget, WW-748. 4895, 4064, pick your poison
    +1. Exactly right. I like 4064 for all my large caliber rifles and w748 for 223 specifically. Varget is great if you can find it. USMC87 are you the same guy from AR-15.com in the A2 section?

Boolit Master

No Sir I don't belong to any other forums online.

I like ww-748.

Banned

there is no powder in my opinon that works to my standards on that big of a swing in cartridges. your going to be giving up to much velocity on one end or the other.

Banned

imr 4895.
    it easily would cover the 223 through the 30-06 with both cast and jacketed.
    you might need to use a filler in some of the applications.
    but I have loads for both the 223 and the 30-06 using that powder for both cast and jacketed and have no problems using it for hunting nor target work.
    it also works very well in the 308 and X57 cases.
    it isn't the most accurate in all of them and for sure isn't the fastest shooting load in most of them, but an acceptably good load can be found in all of them using it.
    maybe that's why I have about 50 lbs of it here, supplemented with some 3031 and some 4064 just to 'see' on each side of the 4895 spectrum.