Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Got a buck

Got a buck

Went out the Saturday of our last weekend of muzzleloader. As I'm not desperate this time of the year, I was using a bow, though I do have cast load worked up for my muzzleloader. We hear we're going to have a cold winter, but you wouldn't know it by being in Kansas. We were suffering with 90 degree temps and tempers to boot. My son didn't make it out, but since we were out of deer meat for 3 months, I thought I'd better get busy. I had a handle on some does earlier in the day, but they picked up on my scent and disappeared before I could get them in range.

The food plot had just been planted, but this is what it looks like just after a rain (after my hunt)

The pinch I hunt is at the top of this photo. I've now got a tower stand right beside it and it serves the area from this rather large plot to the swamp beyond it where I have a transitional zone. That zone is where they'll graze and socialize till their ready to breed or eat or whatever deer are up to at the moment.

I got him coming out of the CRP to the left. He crossed over in front of the tower and gave me a slow walking 42 yard shot. Couldn't get him stopped, but got a decent hit and he ran far enough to jump in my 13 foot creek. Made for an intense evening, but I got him out.
    5.5 years old and have been watching him for 3 years. I've got pics. He wasn't the top dog, but #2. He did come out better than I thought, and have decided to mount him because of his small drop tine. (I've never had one of those).

He is an 8 pointer with a drop tine. Measured about 155 inches.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice!!!

I would like to hear details concerning the firearm used, and the bullet design jacketed or cast, no matter.

Thanks!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Or is he still alive in the picture and you just wrestled his butt into the truck by hand 'cause guns are for wussies?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I had a muzzleloader 405gr. load worked up, but because of the heat, I was using a bow. This one a Bowtech with a 125gr. Muzzie. I suppose that's inappropriate. Will shoot a cast load doe hunt later on for sure.

Here is a cast boolit kill from last year. I had a 30-30 loaded with Leverevolution and a RCBS 180FP (200gr) going 2340fps or so.

Nice deer, these guys are jerking your chain out of jealousy. Beautiful rack.

Vendor Sponsor
    May be off topic but nice bucks are never inappropriate. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. Good job.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a nice buck, congratulations!
    Charter Member #148

Congrats.Thanks for sharing

Bravo. I do a lot of transition zone hunting, it can be very good at times.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Me likes it all. Great buck with a bow. Wall hanger for sure. Youth deer season in Illinois started today for my Grandson. He's 14 and has taken 2 bucks with his muzzle loader the past 3 years. Nothing this morning, but going out tonight. I started casting my own last year and have had super results. Bow hunting is the best and I also use Muzzies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Cast Hunter

Nice Buck! I got a new bow last year, but have yet to hunt with it. Love bow hunting.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Nice'un!

Boolit Mold
    Nice one. Love the Marlin picture. Just something right about hunting with a levergun.

Boolit Master

Great deer and good shot! 42 yards is farther than my bow skills will allow.

Banned

Nice buck! I love Kansas. I made it out a few days during muzzle loader. I hope this year is better than last year, I saw very few deer even allowing for few hunting days.

I love Kansas too! Got some fresher pics of the "hunting field" so to speak;
    North of the creek, I have a food plot that this year has a mix of plants. Cowpeas, soybeans, grazing corn, Sudan, pear millet, buckwheat, Sunflower, turnip, radish, and forage collards.

So thick I stumbled on several yearlings yesterday in an effort to see my trail cam(empty). Nearly gave me dog a heart attack...

This is the main hunting area, with several stands around, but the main one of course is this tower. It does separate the plot from the swamp(transitional area)

View into the swamp. I do not hunt any closer to the feeder than 70 yards, which is about 15 yards beyond what I feel comfortable with using a bow.

View out of the swamp.
    I've got winter rye, wheat, Austrian Winter peas, clover and forage oats in here. Believe it or not, they are almost completely nocturnal right now. They spend much of their time at an adjacent farm that has fields full of milo and beans and a little alfalfa. Food plots work here, but especially in 2 to 3 weeks when these fields are harvested. That is why I was so surprised to see my buck when I did. He happened to be sleeping over with the younger bucks up the hill

Boolit Man
    I have always enjoyed Kansas. Great Deer !!

Boolit Mold
    Very nice buck!

Hello David,

Great buck Dr.! I really enjoyed looking at your album and all those wonderful bucks. Your farm looks very nice too.

Our one week early muzzleloader season is over but it is strictly for doe only. Meanwhile the archers are all hunting bucks. I just turned 75 and don't know how many more seasons I have left but I still enjoy hunting. Last week I killed one with a 38-55 using a cast bullet, an RD 235 gr. FN. It only moved in one direction at the shot, down. For the past two years we have been hunting my sons place and this doe I killed was the first deer that we harvested.

Best regards, Frank
    "He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
    Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    PRPA, Annual member